January Reinforcements

sage

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just seen that. He stated "a few" are on course, so at least 3 and not including Bird or Cashin, Whilst Thompson and Waghorn haven't played in too many games to be classed as "on course". Smith is injred with no fixed return date, and is also down the pecking order of CMs so I also doubt he's included. Although, that could be another reason for the rumours suggesting we're trying to move him on. Wildsmith, Forsyth, Hourihane, Barkhuizen and Collins would be the leading candidates - with only Wildsmith being a regular starter in the Championship

Yeah agree although Foz wouldn’t be surprised if they’re just going 12 months at a time. I’d be ok with Wildsmith getting an extension, maybe Collo if we’re still in L1 but not the rest.

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Just about to say this but you beat me too it.

Tell me you're signing Michael Smith without telling me you're signing Michael Smith.

Good grief, a 32 year old ex Rotherham man. Just over 1 goal in 3 at Rotherham which was his best spell but we really are in bargain basement aren't we..... Oh well! 

54 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Can believe that Warne has allowed these clauses to be put in for all these ageing players, WTF was he thinking 😏

Which players are you talking about - I've yet to see confirmation of specific names?

34 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Good grief, a 32 year old ex Rotherham man. Just over 1 goal in 3 at Rotherham which was his best spell but we really are in bargain basement aren't we..... Oh well! 

His 21/22 season he had the following (stats per 90):

0.43 goals 
6.37 aerial duels won (league highest)
5.85 touches in the box (98th percentile)
Also, won possession 43 times in the final third, which was a league high.

In 22/23, he also had 0.52 goals (0.43xG) per 90 which was near the top of the league.

He'll add a different dynamic in our attack, win us aerial duels up top and get on the end of crosses. It'd be a good signing.

Edited by Jubbs

Smith on loan would be good competition/cover for Collins, and relieves the pressure off Waghorn and Washington to rush back from injury. 

It'd be a very underwhelming first signing though. I want signings for the future, not Collins MK.II- both in age and playing style. If it's Smith + CBT and a midfielder, or something, then I'm okay, but when all we hear this week is basically ''budget is tighter than we thought'' and we then hear about signing Michael Smith, then if that's true, it seems a bit of an ominous sign for our transfer window as a whole.

19 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Not just him I’d blame the recruitment department and owner. We have not wanted to pay upfront fees because of how limited the funds are. Free agents and we don’t know what wages were paid. I’d guess the summer before takes up a lot of wages when he wasn’t here. I think warnes actually done a good job with summer players apart from injuries which all teams have them. 

Wilson nyambe Nelson quality signings I’d even say ward and elder are good signings fornah has been good and bad in glimpses but to be fair hasn’t had a run of games. Washington until injury was hearing towards offering on the pitch even if it was off the bench. Tjj sold signing if he can get a run of games and stay fit. Vickers solid backup keeper. I’d say most of our wages are higher on the hourihanes and smith and sibeys birds who were on contracts pre admin and on the hurry window. We just need to sprinkle over what we have with 2 or 3 quality additions to aid us over the line and nyambe is back post January. 

with a 26000 thousand home crowd and money coming in plus embodying going back there is no reason not to compete with league 1 clubs in the position we are in. 

my fear is and everyone may not agree is we don’t add players and go with the current ageing squad and fall away which I can see happening. We don’t have the luxury of resting a nml but if we get a winger in the mould of cbt this relieves the pressure to rotate likewise with Collins if he gets crocked we have to rely on an injury prone tjj to carry the can. 

not asking for a million pounds d transfer splurge but we should be a pull and have the tour to aid the manager with the tools to make this a successful season and should take last January as a flash back point 

Ignoring quality of performance and judging players for minutes on the pitch this season against (guessed) wages, you've got to admit our summer signings on the whole haven't been great?
John-Jules, Elder, Ward, Washington and Bradley have got to be towards the bottom of the list. Nelson and Wilson have been the exceptions, with Nyambe, Waghorn and Fornah in the middle of the pack. VIckers excluded due to being a backup keeper.

17 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

0.43 goals 

In 22/23, he also had 0.52 goals (0.43xG) per 90 which was near the top of the league.

He'll add a different dynamic in our attack, win us aerial duels up top and get on the end of crosses. It'd be a good signing.

Yeah it’s all well and good you objectively presenting stats to show he’s actually quite useful at this level and could probably do a job for us.
You could also add in the fact he scored double figures for a side that won promotion from this league last season who were storming the league at one point, BUT you’re missing the point that he’s over 30 and once played for a club we look down our noses at! (Scoring 18 goals in 45 league games as they won promotion from this league too)

5 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Nope, and this is why I've pointed out before that I doubt this is Warne's ideal transfer strategy; brought in to oversee a complete rebuild and hasn't been allowed to buy a player yet...

This would all be fine, except for all the comments in summer about having one of the best budgets in the league. I still can't work out why we'd say something like that when what we've seen is that clubs like Charlton can seemingly outbid us for players...

Sounds like semantics but budget would encompass transfer fees AS WELL AS loan fees and players wages.

Am sure Warne has stated this fact many times in the summer where he said he has a pot of money which covers ALL of the above. 

Just now, S8TY said:

I hope we get a few over the line this month that can make a difference as I’m not sure I could stand another season in this s**** division 

Have you got anything else on Blackett taylor?

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

0.43 goals 

Always liked the look of him…

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Ignoring quality of performance and judging players for minutes on the pitch this season against (guessed) wages, you've got to admit our summer signings on the whole haven't been great?
John-Jules, Elder, Ward, Washington and Bradley have got to be towards the bottom of the list. Nelson and Wilson have been the exceptions, with Nyambe, Waghorn and Fornah in the middle of the pack. VIckers excluded due to being a backup keeper.

Is it not worth judging them after a season ? Ward was for me one of our best players prior to his injury, Washington was as ok, others can't argue with, except Nyambe who I think has been a good signing.

His overall record, I would say is not to dissimilar to most who are building a team in the third division. 

On 15/12/2023 at 09:43, Srg said:

It's about finding balance. You can just about manage to carry the likes of Hourihane when he's the only one you're having to carry. With Korey Smith injured, the midfield has worked much better than it had done with both Smith and Hourihane in it. We still do need a bit more pace though, we would be in serious trouble if NML got injured.

I simply am not clever enough or knowledgeable enough to get too deeply in to this but if our midfield needs anything it is a player who can control a ball with his first touch, make space to play a useful pass. We talk about someone who can “break up play” or a breaker of lines or a “general” But For me it’s kind of Idiakez .. those players who own the ball and decide what they want to do with it. It ought to be Hourihan but if I am honest with my own feelings, he is solid and tidy, organised and has a decent shot on him. Maestro pulling strings ? Nope, and not is Max (and he should be by now) I suppose that’s League 1 but we have needed a special player in the middle for a long time.