January Reinforcements

sage

Seeing this window, now, as a really tricky one for us.

We all know January isn't the best time in regards to value for money transfers of decent players.

We all also know that a relatively poor January window has been attributed as a reason for Derby dropping off last season, and a repeat of that could be ... suboptimal for Warne.

The only way a team can truly strengthen in January is by throwing a bit over the odds moneywise for a player, fit, hungry and in a bit of form; who is more likely to hit the ground running and not need 2 months acclimatisation/getting match fit.

The only way we'll get that financial wriggle room is by selling one of our assets, even then I feel our days of paying over the odds are probably gone for now.

Does Warne gamble? Lose at least one of our assets (Bird and Cashin), and run the risk that whatever we've made isnt enough to get what we want/need, we get gazumped last minute and go into Feb weaker than how we entered Jan. Only bringing in a few loanees to put bodies through the door.

Or

I'm starting to feel that one (Cashin) is going, but I'm optimistic that it'll be a Prem club, we get the loan back immediately and some money. Most of that goes on 2 attackers/creatives that make us stronger, top end L2 and a big fish from an underperforming (but safe) L1 side. It makes losing Cashin ok for the greater good, the first time we feel like that about losing a player for (sighs and shrugs)

We are all mostly pleased by the names bought in, Pride Park is a fortress and we feel Derby are truly back as we claw our way back to the championship.

I really need to stop drinking this optimism is most unlike me.

On 28/12/2023 at 09:50, davenportram said:

39 goals in 22 matches would indicate we have enough up top. Issues have been conceding sloppy in close games. Workhorses are required

Despite the change in form since the post you're quoting (2nd of November) I still haven't changed my mind. We've done well to climb up the table but I think that not bringing in a properly quality No.9 will cost us.

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Despite the change in form since the post you're quoting (2nd of November) I still haven't changed my mind. We've done well to climb up the table but I think that not bringing in a properly quality No.9 will cost us.

I’d agree with this, wanted to see more of John Jules by now too. Is hard to have much of an opinion on him currently. Collins improved a lot on last season but want at least another option. Pace to run in behind being the ideal. 

21 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

I’d agree with this, wanted to see more of John Jules by now too. Is hard to have much of an opinion on him currently. Collins improved a lot on last season but want at least another option. Pace to run in behind being the ideal. 

Maybe the Dobster fella getting some game time at Everton 😊

18 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Agreed. It sounds harsh but he doesn't 'create something from nothing',  beat his man or shoot from distance and catch the keeper out. He's definitely not explosive or mercurial. He's very 'workmanlike'.

Not being awful about him, he's decent enough... but he's not amazing in the air, isn't pacy, or tricky, or a great fox in the box, I don't think he sees a pass that well to assist a lot.

If he's leading the line you will get effort and energy and freekicks and he will take maybe 1 in 3 of his chances. Puts a lot of onus on the creative players to give him chances, to beat their man and find him. He's no 'joker card' where he suddenly finds you a goal from nothing in a drab match.

Would love to have something a bit 'different' up top to take the game to teams, keep them worried or just win a game for us with a moment of something special that's heading to a draw.

I know....probably unrealistic but I can dream!!

26 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Agreed. It sounds harsh but he doesn't 'create something from nothing',  beat his man or shoot from distance and catch the keeper out. He's definitely not explosive or mercurial. He's very 'workmanlike'.

Not being awful about him, he's decent enough... but he's not amazing in the air, isn't pacy, or tricky, or a great fox in the box, I don't think he sees a pass that well to assist a lot.

If he's leading the line you will get effort and energy and freekicks and he will take maybe 1 in 3 of his chances. Puts a lot of onus on the creative players to give him chances, to beat their man and find him. He's no 'joker card' where he suddenly finds you a goal from nothing in a drab match.

Would love to have something a bit 'different' up top to take the game to teams, keep them worried or just win a game for us with a moment of something special that's heading to a draw.

Yeah feels like we need someone who can make a goal from nothing if struggling, am guessing everyone needs this though!

Fair play to Collins though, having a decent season. I’d like us to be a bit more proactive with subs up front too, at Wigan Collins was obviously knackered. Seemed perfect to bring John Jules on to have some legs pressing and stretching the game.

I think another wide player too. Who is a goal threat. Again easier said than done

36 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Maybe the Dobster fella getting some game time at Everton 😊

Would definitely have dobbin back! Liked him last season, really carried us up the pitch well. Just finishing that was an issue. Be a great signing in jan but think would want championship if going on loan again.

31 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Someone a bit like bamford was at the time, I know is unpopular now around here. But genuinely offered a goal threat from nothing on his loan spell. Had that bit of extra quality too. 

was a great option.

1 hour ago, Rich3478 said:

Would definitely have dobbin back! Liked him last season, really carried us up the pitch well. Just finishing that was an issue. Be a great signing in jan but think would want championship if going on loan again.

No chance Everton will let him return to us until one specific poster is booted off the forum  😉

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Wonder if any of the posters who were on DC's back saying they'd rather he pay off Warne and his staff and have no money to spend in the transfer window.....will still have the brass neck to moan that he isn't spending enough in the next few weeks? 🤣🤣

I’ve already got my pre loaded moaning posts saved in my notes so don’t you worry I will be posting them at 23:01 when the window shuts 😂

Really hope we can keep John-Jules through to the end of the season - having nursed him through most of the first half of the campaign, I'd be surprised if Arsenal want him back at this point, given he has not proved his fitness over a number of games. 

I expect Cashin will go to Brighton for an undisclosed fee that's probably a million plus add-ons. Obviously a massive loss. Everyone in this team should want to play in the Premier League, and for a good PL club, so no blame attached to him leaving. No surprise if we lose Sibley and/or Bird too. Given our recruitment guy came from Oxford, I'd expect us to try to use the funds to bid for Brannigan, but I think he's too long on his contract left to be allowed to move.

If we keep the current squad as is, I'd say that's decent. Keep and add a couple of players and that's a statement. But last night we brought Thompson in at the expense of Fornah on the bench, and that shows we have a big squad. Anyone we bring in, should be expected to be a starter or what's the point?