To those of you going to Crewe on Sunday.....

RamontheMoor

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

This is the best thread of the past couple of weeks.

I have not bought any footy swill in the past 20y but please keep posting the anecdotes.

Well, Rotherham burgers back in mid 2000’s were standard, but the serviette given with them were quite remarkable. Paper with a feel of linen.

Didn't we swap out the chips for roasties at one stage inside PPS?
Is that still a thing?
Must admit I never tried them.
Don't think I've ever bought hot food in the PPS concourse, but then I'm only a 30min stroll from the ground, so usually have chance to eat before setting off.

I find eating food at a ground, especially a 3pm home match, a bit odd. The longest most people would be near the ground is 2-6pm. I'm pretty sure these people don't tuck into a pie or burger around these hours on a non-matchday. 

So assuming that this food isn't actually required, how are people tempted by the overpriced rubbish on offer? You would think that to tempt people into this extra meal, the food would have to be very nice and/or reasonably priced. 

11 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Wrestlers beef burgers they came out of a tin and were warmed up in water.🤮

Any similarity between wrestlers beef burgers and real food is purely coincidental 

Bloody luv em!           Westlers Economy Burgers In Onion Gravy £1.50 Asda

…………………contains mechanically separated chicken! 😜

spacer.png

There is some really good food at some of the fan parks at away grounds.

Wycombe and Lincoln were the stand out ones, and the pasties at Brizzle rovers were nice.

The gourmet hot dogs inside the ground at Fulham are proper farm shop sausages.

The best thing about a trip to dirty Leeds is Graveleys chip shop across the road, always long queues though.

44 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I find eating food at a ground, especially a 3pm home match, a bit odd. The longest most people would be near the ground is 2-6pm. I'm pretty sure these people don't tuck into a pie or burger around these hours on a non-matchday. 

So assuming that this food isn't actually required, how are people tempted by the overpriced rubbish on offer? You would think that to tempt people into this extra meal, the food would have to be very nice and/or reasonably priced. 

I'm with you on that... but only from a personal pov.

I suspect some will respond with their reasons, which may or may not include one or more of the following:

A medium to heavy lunchtime "session" in t'pub, leading to the munchies?
A lengthy trip on the road where progress and timing are more important than squeezing in a motorway service stop?
An idleness to not take a packed lunch?
Heading to the match straight from work (Leaving at or around the time traditionally perceived as lunchtime)?
A weak reluctance to ignore the effects on the olfactory senses!  (I'm thinking fairground and sea-front smells from my own perspective!  LOL!) 
Taking kids with a "Can I have, Can I have" propensity?

There's clearly plenty of folk with plenty of reasons, otherwise, those "Burger vans" just wouldn't bother to turn up!  🤷‍♂️

59 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think you’ll find some fans have been in the pub since 10 am and by 2.30 are looking for something to soak up the beer.

47 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I think a pie was perhaps part of the ritual of going to the match. 

It probably was yes. But maybe from back in the day where takeaway food wasn't available everywhere and a match pie was probably something a bit different. Maybe it was then actually used as a reasonably priced meal back in the day, rather than an average, expensive extra?

15 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm with you on that... but only from a personal pov.

I suspect some will respond with their reasons, which may or may not include one or more of the following:

A medium to heavy lunchtime "session" in t'pub, leading to the munchies?
A lengthy trip on the road where progress and timing are more important than squeezing in a motorway service stop?
An idleness to not take a packed lunch?
Heading to the match straight from work (Leaving at or around the time traditionally perceived as lunchtime)?
A weak reluctance to ignore the effects on the olfactory senses!  (I'm thinking fairground and sea-front smells from my own perspective!  LOL!) 
Taking kids with a "Can I have, Can I have" propensity?

There's clearly plenty of folk with plenty of reasons, otherwise, those "Burger vans" just wouldn't bother to turn up!  🤷‍♂️

I think you final reason is the one and a temptation I can easily fall for!

I had a terrible case of the Brad Pitts after eating a dog burger outside Loftus Road.

The runs came on that evening when I went to a party thrown by a girl who owned a groovy flat in East London. When I rushed to the loo, I found out that one of the groovy things about the flat was that the bathroom didn't have a door, just a bead curtain. And there was a queue of girls outside the bead curtain.

So I ran downstairs and outside to find somewhere, anywhere. The car park in front of the block of flats was small and well lit. The only thing in it was a speedboat on a trailer.

And so I found my relief squatting in the small patch of darkness behind a speedboat, beside the Whitechapel Road.

It was a memorable evening.

1 hour ago, AutoWindscreens said:

I had a terrible case of the Brad Pitts after eating a dog burger outside Loftus Road.

The runs came on that evening when I went to a party thrown by a girl who owned a groovy flat in East London. When I rushed to the loo, I found out that one of the groovy things about the flat was that the bathroom didn't have a door, just a bead curtain. And there was a queue of girls outside the bead curtain.

So I ran downstairs and outside to find somewhere, anywhere. The car park in front of the block of flats was small and well lit. The only thing in it was a speedboat on a trailer.

And so I found my relief squatting in the small patch of darkness behind a speedboat, beside the Whitechapel Road.

It was a memorable evening.

Did it have an outboard motor?

Why do people tell - potentially - great stories then leave out essential details?

12 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Did it have an outboard motor?

Why do people tell - potentially - great stories then leave out essential details?

I think I've found a picture of said speedboat online, if that helps.

It's seems  @AutoWindscreens fell rather lucky that this groovy girl's parents were darting enthusiasts!

DL6qfXUWAAAQjZe.jpg