How do we get investment into the club

Poynton ram

Thoughts?

is Clowes actively seeking an investment partner? How attractive is a Mid tier third division club? The thought of having to seek investment from offshore funders at extortionate rates as per the 3 amigos does terrify me but suspect DC won’t entertain that idea

Approach people who publicly want to invest in Premier league clubs and sell them the "wrexham" dream of going up the divisions under their ownership and them becoming legends.

Imagine how much that might appeal to the right persons ego to take us from league 1 to premiership in say 5 years.

I am grateful for him stepping in for his company to buy the club. I think the time has come for him to sell at least a controlling share to bring in new investment. In football terms he hasn’t made good decisions and is holding the club back. In long or even medium term, fans rarely make good owners, that has certainly been the case at Derby. 
The potential of the club is a great opportunity for investors to get a good return, particularly if we can get back to the Premier. I would hope that feelers are being put out for potential buyers / investors. I doubt it though, but if that was the case, we may as well hang on to our inept manager & his coaching team until a new owner gets shot if them. 

You'd have to be a sandwich short of a picnic to invest in a 3rd tier football club, Even a club our size with a possible 30k + attendance every other week, Lets say DC wants to get rid of a 49% stake in the club...that's around £25m, DC still controls the club and the decisions made within, An investor wants a return, That return will only come about with promotion to the EPL.

DC keeps his man...PW...would you want to give him a budget in January, PW missed the boat last January when not finding a centre forward he admitted this was a mistake.

Unless there's a sugar daddy out there that's got so much loot in their back pocket hidden from the Tax Man...DC is on his own while PW is his man...imo  

I know it's not the answer people will want, but it's to sell players like Bird, Cashin etc. That money would be much more useful being reinvested back into the squad.

The academy is still ticking over, they beat City yesterday. More kids will come through, but to not cash in on the academy with sensible incoming fees would be daft.

35 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

The thought of having to seek investment from offshore funders at extortionate rates as per the 3 amigos does terrify me but suspect DC won’t entertain that idea

Clowes seems to see himself as a custodian, not an owner, in the MM mould. I'd be pretty confident his MO will be to ensure that the club is now run within its means, even after the business plan term elapses. He deserves better really, but we all know that's not necessarily how life pans out. 

56 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

You'd have to be a sandwich short of a picnic to invest in a 3rd tier football club, Even a club our size with a possible 30k + attendance every other week, Lets say DC wants to get rid of a 49% stake in the club...that's around £25m, DC still controls the club and the decisions made within, An investor wants a return, That return will only come about with promotion to the EPL.

DC keeps his man...PW...would you want to give him a budget in January, PW missed the boat last January when not finding a centre forward he admitted this was a mistake.

Unless there's a sugar daddy out there that's got so much loot in their back pocket hidden from the Tax Man...DC is on his own while PW is his man...imo  

The last thing I would want to do is invest in a club with Clowes still with controlling stake. Nobody would be that daft. Not so sure about a valuation of £50m either. 

12 minutes ago, bcnram said:

The last thing I would want to do is invest in a club with Clowes still with controlling stake. Nobody would be that daft. Not so sure about a valuation of £50m either. 

100% on the money.   

Club is worth £30m, Clowes was generous to save us, none of the other party's were offering more at the time he bought.

With regards to the sale of the club or additional investment its a matter for DC himself to consider....

Clowes has seemingly done everything right. He's saved the club, brought stability financially then employs a manager with a first class CV at this level.

They do say that every business should have contingency plans, and that would include the likely finances involved in replacing management. That isn't to say that he would pull the plug though. It's likely too early into his contract therefore raining cost implications.

Investors aren't the answer. The club isn't worth anything at the very minute; but fast-forward 2 years and they (could) be worth considerably more. If he did want to seek investment, he wouldn't be short of suitors.

As earlier said, the most realistic way of generating money is to see your youngsters. It's disappointing for fans, but we should be producing a string of young players with "one of the best facilities in the country".

I do wonder where Clowes thoughts lie with on one hand he wants to run the club sustainably, but on the other, there must be a part of him being a season ticket holder that wants to punt some real cash into the club and see out fortunes improve.

3 hours ago, bcnram said:

I am grateful for him stepping in for his company to buy the club. I think the time has come for him to sell at least a controlling share to bring in new investment. In football terms he hasn’t made good decisions and is holding the club back. In long or even medium term, fans rarely make good owners, that has certainly been the case at Derby. 
The potential of the club is a great opportunity for investors to get a good return, particularly if we can get back to the Premier. I would hope that feelers are being put out for potential buyers / investors. I doubt it though, but if that was the case, we may as well hang on to our inept manager & his coaching team until a new owner gets shot if them. 

Can you give me a bit more detail so I can understand your point.

Clowes will eventually off load, as mentoned earlier he may be a custodian rather than a long term owner, and hopefully it'll be early enough that he can enjoy coming back to the club as a fan again. 

I quite liked the idea of the investors who want Premier will buy a smaller club and we 'sell' them the dream. I dont know how much 'ready for the Premier' infrastructure is still in place after the last few, but some large pieces (ground, training base) still are.

The issue we face now is that I dont reckon Derbys overheads will still fit the income / division in any way that would be attractive to investors with no emotional ties to the club. A bit more belt tightening, selling the likes Bird and Cashin and losing a few wages of those in their last year now and we may be a lean enough L1 team to attract someone who will then invest rather than sustain the existing situation.

If we go up, then we are probably lean enough, investors know 1 good season with a club that has a promotion bounce and the value of their investment goes through the roof. 

I'll still remain grateful for what DC has done, I'd love for him to have the same experience Lionel did and have us gain (at least one) promotion under his watch.