Pro Warne

Jram

9 hours ago, Jram said:

Eh? Did you see the goals on Saturday? Penalty from being fouled from a cross and two long balls from the keeper headed on 

Hardly slide rule, eye of the needle stuff 

But much more football played through midfield compared to previous games. I actually enjoyed a home game for the first time this season.  

19 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think up to this point it would be more accurate to say that we have given a few formations a go without showing much ability to play any of them.

We appear by a process of elimination to have landed on a starting 4231. But we have them had games in which we have swapped it around more than once. Didn't nyambe play 3 or 4 different roles within one half recently?

Somewhere between the McLaren and Warne extremes will do fine 🤙

They’re all pretty similar formations, Saturday looked more like 433 to me. Hourihane and in the George Thorne role, two ahead of him playing further forward. Then a front three of two wingers and a central striker.

A little bit of benchmarking to his earlier promotion seasons with Rovrum.
After 16 games, we currently have 27 points and sit 7th on the table, 9 points from the top.
2017 they had 25 points, 7th, 12 points from the top.
2019 25 points, 6th, 6 points from the top, who had a game in hand.
2021 31 points, 3rd, 3 points from the top.

At the end of the season:

2018 4th with 79 points, 19 points from the top.
2020 2nd with 62 points in 35 games, 5 points from the top who ended the season with a game less.
2022 2nd with 90 points, 2 points from the top.

We could do with a couple of extra points, but it's not looking too bad either.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Were you not at the Northampton game?

The Barnsley game was much better. Northampton were pathetic, there was no atmosphere and the game was over after half an hour. It was a great result, but the second half was frankly boring. No criticism at all of the players and coaches - Warne did exactly the right thing when we were cruising by making a load of subs, but as a spectacle it killed the game.

Barnsley felt a lot better because here was us putting a top six side - and one with a great away record - to the sword. They are a much better team than Northampton yet we made them look ordinary. And after last season it was very satisfying. First time in a long time, and certainly first time this season, I was buzzing when I left the ground.  

5 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

The Barnsley game was much better. Northampton were pathetic, there was no atmosphere and the game was over after half an hour. It was a great result, but the second half was frankly boring. No criticism at all of the players and coaches - Warne did exactly the right thing when we were cruising by making a load of subs, but as a spectacle it killed the game.

Barnsley felt a lot better because here was us putting a top six side - and one with a great away record - to the sword. They are a much better team than Northampton yet we made them look ordinary. And after last season it was very satisfying. First time in a long time, and certainly first time this season, I was buzzing when I left the ground.  

I didn’t  say the Northampton game was on a par with the Barnsley win. Of course it wasn’t but I also enjoyed the Northampton win (who wouldn’t enjoy a 4:0 win regardless of the atmosphere or quality of the opposition?). @Jayram said the Barnsley game was the first home game he’d enjoyed. I suspect he wasn’t able to make it to the Northampton game.

Pretty sure my points about motivating the players still stands after tonight. FA Cup getting to 3rd round could have landed us a nice financial bonus, 40k tonight could have paid some wages?

With Mendez-Laing out and it showing badly, the more I look at the transfers over last couple of years Warne has been winning games with performances from lads mostly he didn't sign. Ratio of duds to goodens at the moment is not good for him.

Not given up hope but the signs we could go on some magical run required to get promoted (a necessity) just aren't there.

• 2 weeks later...

JJ’s the real McGoldrick replacement and I think that was taken into consideration enough in the ‘Warne Out’ discussions 

Will say in defence of Warne that I don’t think anyone at the start of the season ever said ‘oh yeah, Washington, Collins and Waghorn, that’s a bunch of strikers that will definitely get you promoted’

Everyone wanted another striker and Waghorn was a bit of an afterthought anyway as the market was so difficult. Our early season struggles were for lots of reasons but I do think that the loss of McGoldrick and the absence of John-Jules stuck out.

We got JJ late in the window, a really talented striker, who is one of the best in the league from his performances with Ipswich last year, and I think the only reason he’s back on loan in League One rather than the Championship is because of his injury history

He then predictably got injured (Warne has signed an injury prone striker and can be rightly criticised for taking that risk) but now he’s back, he is the potential game changer.

Best part of it is that his contract is out at the end of the season. He’s had a terrible time of it, he’s now at a big club (for his level) and scoring in front of a packed out away end. Warne said when he first signed that he wants JJ here long term, if the stars align and he fulfils his potential with us then I believe we’ve got ourselves a talented young number nine for basically nothing - if that best case scenario happens, Warne and the recruitment team have played a blinder

I don’t think the sun shines out of Warne’s arse but the attitude of some fans stunk around the time the away end was berating the team. The way we’ve lost the unity we developed in the points deduction season has been extremely disheartening, it’s not lost on me that Warne’s side underwhelming is part of that and that season was lightning in a bottle but I thought we were better than that

What I’m trying to say is a bit of patience with a manager who’s got promoted out of this league multiple times might pay off, rather than calling for his head about ten games into a new season, you absolute hobnobs

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Results seem to be on the up, as someone perpetually snookered by distance and not getting to games these days, my question is: Do the team look like they believe in what they're doing? I know it's kind of just a "vibes" question but what's the perception from the folks who are there?

I think so 🤷🏻‍♂️

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Results seem to be on the up, as someone perpetually snookered by distance and not getting to games these days, my question is: Do the team look like they believe in what they're doing? I know it's kind of just a "vibes" question but what's the perception from the folks who are there?

My view is that the team does seem to be together, and when our biggest threat, NML, is on form, it comes together more. There's no denying it though, there's significant caps on what we can and can't do with the personnel we currently have. So, in summary, I'd say the vibes within the team do seem to be good at the moment - 4 wins will do that!

Still a load of hobnobbing by the geeks in suits in the W.O.O thread.

Ps…..don’t you just love it when Derby County win a game and Paul Warne and everyone is happy and you can hear Paul Warne giving it a big WOO!

Pps….clearly some need to get down the boozer and treat themselves to them cocktails, them WOO, WOOs go on ya W.O.O have a red drink if that’s what makes you happy!…..WOO WOO

91CD15D1-F9B6-4F0F-A57F-57E173291979.jpeg