Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

42 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Pointing to LR’s record at Hull may well prove that the wrong decision was made but that’s an easy conclusion to come to with the benefit of hindsight.

But this is the main point. Clowes and his advisors are there to get the right decision and laugh because there won't be hindsight! Me and others are the one's that didn't have all the 'due diligence' facts about Warne or Rosenior. We have hindsight, and part of that is maybe Clowes got it wrong. 😉

How did I miss the news that someone had perfected time travel? Could have sworn the last page of this thread has been done to death over a year ago.

What does still rankle is that we've been told it's all about sustainability and a long term view, but then we've committed ourselves to a s*** or bust manager and play in his image, in a style that gives us little in the way of a solid foundation to build from and currently doesn't even look sustainable over the course of a full season let alone the next few years.

6 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

How did I miss the news that someone had perfected time travel? Could have sworn the last page of this thread has been done to death over a year ago.

What does still rankle is that we've been told it's all about sustainability and a long term view, but then we've committed ourselves to a s*** or bust manager and play in his image, in a style that gives us little in the way of a solid foundation to build from and currently doesn't even look sustainable over the course of a full season let alone the next few years.

Remember when we had chat about aligning play style through the age groups then we could hire managers that match the philosophy? Seems like another life now.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But this is the main point. Clowes and his advisors are there to get the right decision and laugh because there won't be hindsight! Me and others are the one's that didn't have all the 'due diligence' facts about Warne or Rosenior. We have hindsight, and part of that is maybe Clowes got it wrong. 😉

I spotted the winking emoji so I won’t take your comments too seriously. However, it’s not really the main point, I doubt DC will be laughing if it all goes belly up and we all had one of the key elements of the due diligence namely PW’s record for getting teams promoted out of L1 v LR’s. If it does all go wrong then absolute credit to anyone who genuinely called it at the time but, as I say, in a objective assessment of the two managers at the time, it would have been difficult (and brave) to come down in LR’s favour.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I spotted the winking emoji so I won’t take your comments too seriously. However, it’s not really the main point, I doubt DC will be laughing if it all goes belly up and we all had one of the key elements of the due diligence namely PW’s record for getting teams promoted out of L1 v LR’s. If it does all go wrong then absolute credit to anyone who genuinely called it at the time but, as I say, in a objective assessment of the two managers at the time, it would have been difficult (and brave) to come down in LR’s favour.

I expect DC heard lots of stuff like these guys have. Would be interesting to hear? 😉

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But Liam hasn’t managed in League 1, but has taken a relegation-threatened Hull to a possible play off place in the league above. How does that compare with Warney’s record in the Championship 😉

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Clowes and Pearce obviously decided not to risk appointing Rosenior (he was good enough for Blackpool and later Hull), the results being negative and then having another decision to make. They decide that a surefire appointment was needed, a league 1 expert. They now discover there's no such thing as a 'sure thing' and the future is as undetermined as ever! 😄

If only DC and SP went to see one of these

image.png.a05c033d33848b80f45355d42872b579.png

I think if you look at our team, we’re not far off being the best in the league on paper. Just a couple of players short of it all coming together.

I don’t think Vickers is better than Wildsmith and the latter would make it into most League One starting berths. The back four isn’t first choice at the moment but you can’t say any of them are bad players.

If they’re playing well, then both Bird and Hourihane have their strengths. It’s a third, strong midfield presence we need desperately. We also need a three that stays closer together as both a defensive and attacking unit.

Up front, most teams would love to have NML, Collins and Blackett-Taylor.

Confidence is so important and if we beat Cheltenham, hopefully it will click back into place. It’s horrible when we play badly, but we can turn it around.

13 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think if you look at our team, we’re not far off being the best in the league on paper. Just a couple of players short of it all coming together.

I don’t think Vickers is better than Wildsmith and the latter would make it into most League One starting berths. The back four isn’t first choice at the moment but you can’t say any of them are bad players.

If they’re playing well, then both Bird and Hourihane have their strengths. It’s a third, strong midfield presence we need desperately. We also need a three that stays closer together as both a defensive and attacking unit.

Up front, most teams would love to have NML, Collins and Blackett-Taylor.

Confidence is so important and if we beat Cheltenham, hopefully it will click back into place. It’s horrible when we play badly, but we can turn it around.

I think youve got this bang right Anag Ram. In general defensively were sound. Midfield wise i dont think Hourihane and Bird compliment each other and when we played Tommo the other night he was that far up the pitch he didnt really help us out defensively in the centre of the park. I know the argument will be he was supposed to be helping us defend further up the pitch but that doesnt help us when they are running through the middle at will. New midfielder desperately needed in my opinion, i think Warne hoped Fornah would fill that roll. Regards strikers, yeh the front 3 look good but its a massive worry if Collins breaks down😢

On 24/01/2024 at 09:13, tomsdubs said:

We had a good manager that played better technical football that would have played teams of the park with this squad, Clowes sacked him.

Wait!  What? 😕

When the heck did all this happen?  😲

There's nothing on the internet about (Mr) Clowes having previously sacked a manager!

All I can find is a tangential reference to Liam Rosenior, but as he was never our manager, and never got sacked, it can't possibly be him you are referring to? 🤷‍♂️

I think I have finally found why I haven't warmed to Paul Warne as our manager. 

I know many of us think football is just a results business and any type of win is a win. You don't complain, points on the board, good job done. For me though this reason didn't make me fall in love Derby County. If I wanted good results every week I would jump on the wagon of whoever was winning the Premier League. Football is more than just results. It's the theatre, the drama, the excitement of watching your team playing brilliant football and creating memories.

I love a feel good story and I think this could have been on the card with Liam Rosenior. A rookie manager who wanted to play attractive possession based football, stuck through the club in those dark times, worked his arse off to bring in a core of side within a matter of weeks. In my view, he had every right to be the manager of this club and I don't care if was very inexperienced and didn't have a track record. It would have carried on that feel good factor within the club and I believe everyone would have got behind him. At this point we had nothing to lose. If he didn't work, go and find a Paul Warne type manager who can pick up results. 

The Paul Warne appointment was a very solid business decision and I cannot fault David Clowes because on paper it makes complete sense. But football doesn't work like that for me. It is a weird and wonderful sport which most of the time is bonkers. In the real world, why would you hire someone who no experience to lead a team of people. However, this is why I love football. And I'm still a bit disappointed we couldn't have had a cheesy, upbeat feel good story.

With Warne, we are just plodding along with very good players at this level doing what is expected of us. Like a excel spreadsheet formula that works. Very dull, really boring, it's clinical. I keep feeling I want more from this side and it has the potential to do more. I watched Ipswich destroy us last season and thought this is the standard we should aim for. Got the result but more importantly, had some flare and quality about the performance.

I'll never boo our manager, I will always get behind him. He doesn't excite me though. The side is missing a soul.

10 minutes ago, SSD said:

I'll never boo our manager, I will always get behind him. He doesn't excite me though. The side is missing a soul.

Very true. Plus the manager wants to be one of the boys.

17 minutes ago, SSD said:

I know many of us think football is just a results business and any type of win is a win. You don't complain, points on the board, good job done. For me though this reason didn't make me fall in love Derby County. If I wanted good results every week I would jump on the wagon of whoever was winning the Premier League. Football is more than just results. It's the theatre, the drama, the excitement of watching your team playing brilliant football and creating memories.

I love a feel good story and I think this could have been on the card with Liam Rosenior. A rookie manager who wanted to play attractive possession based football, stuck through the club in those dark times, worked his arse off to bring in a core of side within a matter of weeks. In my view, he had every right to be the manager of this club and I don't care if was very inexperienced and didn't have a track record. It would have carried on that feel good factor within the club and I believe everyone would have got behind him. At this point we had nothing to lose. If he didn't work, go and find a Paul Warne type manager who can pick up results. 

The Paul Warne appointment was a very solid business decision and I cannot fault David Clowes because on paper it makes complete sense. But football doesn't work like that for me. It is a weird and wonderful sport which most of the time is bonkers. In the real world, why would you hire someone who no experience to lead a team of people. However, this is why I love football. And I'm still a bit disappointed we couldn't have had a cheesy, upbeat feel good story.

With Warne, we are just plodding along with very good players at this level doing what is expected of us. Like a excel spreadsheet formula that works. Very dull, really boring, it's clinical. I keep feeling I want more from this side and it has the potential to do more. I watched Ipswich destroy us last season and thought this is the standard we should aim for. Got the result but more importantly, had some flare and quality about the performance.

We didn’t need to replace our ‘caretaker’ manager when we did. If we dropped to mid table fine but we were in 7th. I don’t see why he wasn’t given the season. I agree with your sentiments 👍

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Valid criticism of our playing style, tactical decisions, recruitment is fair enough Roy, but I think comments like this are pretty unnecessary. 

I think you’d made some fair points in the past re: Warne. He’s certainly not been anywhere near perfect. But stuff like this just tends to lessen the validity of your other points. Why bother? 

It’s obviously your right to have an opinion and your right to post it, but it’s not your duty. 

18 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Valid criticism of our playing style, tactical decisions, recruitment is fair enough Roy, but I think comments like this are pretty unnecessary. 

I think you’d made some fair points in the past re: Warne. He’s certainly not been anywhere near perfect. But stuff like this just tends to lessen the validity of your other points. Why bother? 

It’s obviously your right to have an opinion and your right to post it, but it’s not your duty. 

If you want me to qualify it then fine.

I think that it is obvious from the way Warne manages the players that he would like to be one of the boys rather than be seen as the boss who makes nasty decisions. Just my opinion, and I think it is a valid criticism. Of course you might not agree that he is actually like that, which is fine and why not say so?

Edit: oh and this is something I've said before now.

Edited by RoyMac5

9 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Well, certainly looks unsustainable with a team whose average age is 30+

Everyone looks knackered.....

51 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's not alone then, is he? 😂

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Edit: oh and this is something I've said before now.

No! Something you've said before!!! 

Fake Surprised Season 8 GIF by Friends