Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

People go on about the away form, yet it was a complete anomaly. We had over 5 xG and hadn't scored a goal. It would have reverted to the mean and the results would've been fine,

The poor away form didn't start that season, it was a recurring issue from the previous season when, alot of people, say Rosenior was running the show...

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Or maybe he doesn't want to put them on the pitch when there are so many fans there waiting to boo if we don't win?

Great confidence boost for the players having their own fans booing them and hurling abuse at them.

You would get a better crowd feeling if we had academy players on than a supposed team of pensioners who have had promotions walking around a pitch not giving a damn. I’ve never been so angry at an away game for stevenages third goal at the half arsed attempts to put in a tackle close down play etc. give me a mixture of academy and first team players that lose that game but at least put a shift in and look to have an identity about there play. 

Just now, Barney1991 said:

You would get a better crowd feeling if we had academy players on than a supposed team of pensioners who have had promotions walking around a pitch not giving a damn. I’ve never been so angry at an away game for stevenages third goal at the half arsed attempts to put in a tackle close down play etc. give me a mixture of academy and first team players that lose that game but at least put a shift in and look to have an identity about there play. 

Trouble is we are rebuilding the Academy-Results for the younger teams haven't exactly been inspiring and it maybe harmful throwing them into a league full of seasoned pros who take no nonsense.

16 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Sticking with Warne isn't safeguarding the club.  Look if we really can't afford to sack him then we are stuck until we can sell a player to fund it - but if Clowes has put us and himself  in that position it's of his own making.   I'm sure Rosenior would have taken a rolling 1 year contract probably on lower wages than Warne. 

What is the best case scenario with Warne - he recreates Rotherham here and takes us up in 2025 or 2026.   Look what his teams did in the Championship.    It's not a long term strategy and giving him time risks necessitating starting from scratch but this time with a load of players we can't shift  let alone sell - we would be worse off than the Summer of 2022 

It does seem like he is trying to do that here. Play the same football, have the same number of fans, keep up a jolly persona, have the owner on board.

2 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I thought another poster (on here or on one of the other 5 threads discussing the same thing) had said that 'sacked' managers are actually put on gardening leave and paid each month until they find another job?

It's still paying money money for nothing, but the big number is amortised over years rather than being a big blob.

"Gardening leave" is a mute point, My understanding is if someone is put on gardening leave it's a case of them serving their notice, Depending on length of service will depend on length of gardening leave, You can of course make the person serve all of their contract of which there will be monthly wages to be paid until end of contract.

The above all depends on negotiations between said parties, While under contract at no time can the person look for another position if they do and are found out they could have broken their contract and dismissed...depending on wording of said contract or wording of "gardening leave contract" if there was to be one.

There's a few ways both parties can circumvent contracts but it becomes messy and long, Coccu did a very magnanimous thing by accepting a "lesser pay-off" I believe...where money is involved...Vultures hover 😉 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

It's been over a year so forgive my memory, I'm sure someone will correct me if this is off, but I seem to remember Warne saying he didn't have a place for him on his staff.

Memory can play tricks, This is how I read it, LR was offered a job on the coaching staff but he turned it down, Then DC let him go with a "duty of care" for him.

Happy to be corrected 😊

3 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Memory can play tricks, This is how I read it, LR was offered a job on the coaching staff but he turned it down, Then DC let him go with a "duty of care" for him.

Happy to be corrected 😊

I think the "duty of care" comment was more to do with removing him as manager. Clowes didn't want a manager having to face the wrath of an angry fanbase, if results weren't up to scratch when the managed was clearly inexperienced at the level he was being asked to perform at...

Edited by duncanjwitham

1 hour ago, Raich Carter said:

Which is apparently where Lionel and TBE had a lot of their meetings - didn't turn out too bad did it (for us, not so well for poor Lionel).

The Yew Tree at Ednaston, Both liked a drink 😁, I believe LP bought the pub 🤷‍♂️then bought a Taxi company in Ashbourne to ferry him home to Ednaston Hall...his Son on the other hand 😡

1 minute ago, The Last Post said:

The Yew Tree at Ednaston, Both liked a drink 😁, I believe LP bought the pub 🤷‍♂️then bought a Taxi company in Ashbourne to ferry him home to Ednaston Hall...his Son on the other hand 😡

Yeah, he defo owned the pub. Not heard about his son...?

51 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

but no way on Cocu, we were abysmal and as bad as we are now, if not worse. Tried to play a slow dutch way, and failed badly.

But in hindsight, surely Cocu did a superb job.

He got us 10th with a poor squad, whist being constantly undermined by Morris and Rooney, bought through youth properly and introduced Bird, Sibley and Knight into the squad. That second season was absolutely no chance his fault, Rooney was hugely overweight and clearly Cocu was being forced to play him.

I'm Warne in. I want to write this somewhere, to go against the current (seemingly vocal) tide of opinion.

I think Warne has been held back by a mixture of:

• Bad luck (early season run-in, injuries, ref decisions)
  • Mismash squad (emergency players signed post-admin, short-term contracts, Didzy going, lack of strikers in the market)
  • Collective club mental hangover from relegation+admin
  • Adjusting to L1, ala Sunderland, Pompey, Ipswich - all the other clubs, that realised it's tough, and you don't simply walk the league. It takes time and a rebuild.

Put another way, anyone you bring in now would likely also struggle, and we'll be back where we started, just with less money to spend on players.

Has Warne proved himself? No and the jury is still out. But I'm with others who've reflected on, that we've only just escaped being taken out of existence. Expecting promotion and an entertaining team, in just 1-2 seasons, was probably asking for the football equivalent of a miracle.

41 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

We had 3 players on the pitch that had come through the academy on Saturday.

21 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I think the "duty of care" comment was more to do with removing him as manager. Clowes didn't want a manager having to face the wrath of an angry fanbase, if results weren't up to scratch when the managed was clearly inexperienced at the level he was being asked to perform at...

Seems he doesn't care as much with Warne! 😄 Personally I think it was said to make it look better. Afterall him and Rooney dealt with more stressful things in the previous seasons.

I really hope Warne is able to string some results together and turn this ship around over the next two months. Put us back up towards 3rd/4th and then strengthen in January. This is the best case scenario.

Do I think that will happen? On the evidence of this season: no

I think when we debate these things people misconstrue what people think with what they want.

We all (just about) want Warne and Co to be successful here. Do we all think that he will be? There's the debate. Fans criticising Warne are not "so called supporters" - they have just as much a right to think and predict where this project is going as anyone else. 

If Clowes is going to give him more time to prove that; fair play. That's his call and he will be rightly critcised/praised on how that pans out. AS HE SHOULD BE

I don't want to see us make the same mistake we made on here at times with Mel and make him out to be immune from criticism because he's put in £XYZ...

13 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

But in hindsight, surely Cocu did a superb job.

He got us 10th with a poor squad, whist being constantly undermined by Morris and Rooney, bought through youth properly and introduced Bird, Sibley and Knight into the squad. That second season was absolutely no chance his fault, Rooney was hugely overweight and clearly Cocu was being forced to play him.

This is a really interesting post. So much came out about that period after Cocu left, that while his sacking was right at the time, views over time should look more favourably on him due to being hamstrung by circumstances well out of his control. 

I think this is also why i'm so hesitant to be 'Warne Out'. Recruitment in the summer was poor, but I don't know who was responsible for that, so instead of peddling the slightly short-sighted line of ''buck stops with the manager'', I just leave it at 'I'm not overly happy at the minute, but I'm not sure it's all Warne's fault'. I don't know for sure, so I'm not going to condemn someone based on speculation.

1 hour ago, Barney1991 said:

Can you imagine a full on warne squad once he’s had another 2 windows to then employ a manager who wants to play football on the ground. Will set us back another 2 seasons worth of transfer windows 

i know its Halloween, but that is realy scary,full on horror stuff

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Please dont try and speak on behalf of the fans.

I'm sure there are many, like me, who do give more than 2 f**** about things other than just what happens on the pitch because we realise without David Clowes we would have no pitch to give 2 f**** about.

As for hating the manager, grow up.

I don't hate him but think he is s*** at his job. Having to rely on someone s*** at their job is always going to make you harbour resentment and get frustrated.