Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

57 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There’s only one man who can fully clarify that for you Roy.
Speculating on what’s been said in various interviews so far my own interpretation of his rationale links to Warne’s experience of promotions from this league. Also perhaps Clowes felt it was “safer” to back experience during the early recovery of the club from near death trauma. I also recall comments about changing the culture of the club, so perhaps felt a reset was needed and as much as Rosenior was committed and well thought of, he was present and part of everything that had gone on previously so I can see rationale there for wanting a “fresh start” (backed up by the refresh of academy staff also). That links to the inevitable question of why Pearce is still here, it makes sense for there to have been some continuity in the business side of the club to help recover from the chaos, even though he was complicit in it all. 

Hindsight is both a wonderful and terrible thing, currently I can see a clear argument that keeping Rosenior and backing him MAY have been a better course of action, but that’s not what happened and going on the, admittedly, assumptions I’ve made about Clowes rationale I can’t argue with his thinking in that moment. 

EDIT - forgot I’d highlighted a bit of your post in bold, I feel you (and others) are misrepresenting that particular comment from Warne. It was made in context of how the club’s storied history has no immediate bearing on the present performance, which is accurate in my opinion. He did not say flat out that he doesn’t care for our history. 

Sorry but I don't think that makes any sense at all.  It was the finances of the club that went wrong not the football.  So it would make more sense to have continuity on the football side of things and a new approach to the financial side of things.  Not the other way around.

I'm not entirely sure the vote of confidence from the club is exactly as it seems.

We all know Warne is on a long contract & that sacking him would be expensive. We also know that he is an emotional character & wants to be liked - the reaction to fans abusing him at Shrewsbury & Stevenage has clearly come as a shock & is unchartered territory for him. From 6 years at Rotherham where his 3 relegations were treated with a shrug of the shoulders, he's now in an environment where he's practically living from game to game. This is also in stark contrast to the 'free hit' pass a lot of fans gave to him last season (something I never agreed with incidentally).

In essence, Warne has two choices from here. The first obvious one is that results pick up dramatically, however unlikely that looks currently but it would need a pretty long unbeaten run from here to silence most of his critics. The second choice is to carry on with inconsistent results but risk players becoming increasingly disengaged with his management & fans increasingly furious. I seriously doubt Warne has the stomach for the latter over a sustained period & hence a mutual termination where he agrees to a much lower pay out is the likeliest scenario. My hunch is that the club realise this & hence it makes sense to let the situation play out in the short term.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

9 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

No your guessing 

I’ll be honest mick if you think we don’t have one of the top 2-3 wage bills in the division then I dunno what to tell you. 

Owner said we had a budget that was capable of achieving promotion but what does he know eh? Just runs a business that makes a fortune every year. 

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’ll be honest mick if you think we don’t have one of the top 2-3 wage bills in the division then I dunno what to tell you. 

Owner said we had a budget that was capable of achieving promotion but what does he know eh? Just runs a business that makes a fortune every year. 

Why would running a business that makes a fortune every year, mean that you know other clubs budgets?

22 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes, I'm just guessing. It would take an expert analysis for someone to observe than Derby have a bigger budget than Burton, Cheltenham, Northampton, Carlisle, Fleetwood, Leyton Orient, Shrewsbury and Stevenage. Very smart take. When Clowes said we had a competitive budget he clearly meant with those teams and not the top ones. Obviously. Use common sense. 

Don't bother. I went through great detail listing recent L1 wage bills for every club in this division, yet still got the "just guessing" response.

17 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Sorry but I don't think that makes any sense at all.  It was the finances of the club that went wrong not the football.  So it would make more sense to have continuity on the football side of things and a new approach to the financial side of things.  Not the other way around.

I came to my conclusion based on what Clowes has said himself;

Clowes said he even stuck by Pearce when "three chief execs from other clubs" got in touch with him about the position when he first took over.

"There was a thinking that when we took over the football club he would be the first person out the door, but I didn't see it that way," Clowes continued.

"Stephen came to see me just before we acquired the club, we had a good chat for quite a few hours. He told me about the past and how he sees the club going forward. I saw qualities in Stephen, he is a good operator, he knows the club inside out.

"He has a story to tell but in his own time. He has unfinished business with Derby and he will tell you that himself."

Taken from this interview in June of this year; https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65959914.amp

and also this snippet from this magazine interview https://heyzine.com/flip-book/8867b12b48.html#page/21

IMG_0699.jpeg

I think there’s been other bits said too but I can’t be bothered looking for them all. Essentially I understand it as Clowes not knowing the club inside out kept Pearce on to support the transition from admin back to “normal”, which helped re-hiring staff, sorting out commercial aspects, recruiting players (the admin side of) and the like, all of which would have been potentially more challenging without the existing knowledge that Pearce had, even if he is a snake.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Ah well. I'm disappointed.

I was opposed to Warne's appointment in the first place, based on what little I knew about his style of play. I had hoped that I was wrong but, as things stand, it's even worse than I had feared.

But it's David Clowes' perogative. After all, he bought the club, thereby rescuing it.

If we cast our minds back, we faced losing this great club of ours. At that time, we were thinking about phoenix clubs in even lower tiers. Be honest, in those dark days, I think most of us would have jumped at a few years of turgid football in League One.

Well, it looks like that's what "stability" will bring us.

We will lose the promising youngsters, I mean from the academy; Bird, Cashin and Sibley will be gone in the summer if not January.

The football will not be great. Expect a lot of balls down the channels, early crosses and moaning about Collins.

The championship and higher will be a long way off for a few years now. Crowds will dwindle.

But, trying to look on the bright side - we do still have Derby County Football Club. And that is thanks to David Clowes.

That's all I got.

But I am glad we have DCFC in whatever form. COYR 🐏