Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

Half time, we have had some good chances overall but a lot of crap mixed in with it, we are still well in this and I would say shading the half although 1-1 is a fair half time score. At times we are off the pace and sloppy in possession, and when we do get in good positions often overhit the pass.

Think we could do with a couple of subs at half time, I would give NML a rest for Wilson and possibly take one of the fwds off for Sibley.

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

Get in! A lot of new polls have just been aborted in here.

I so hope we win today. A nice international break without continuous new threads about Warne. 

I think the debate will continue long into the international break tbh unless our second half performance (against the worst team in this division by the way) is much improved. 

Results can go some way to papering over cracks but that first half was grim in parts. 

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I understand the decision to rest Bird but I don’t understand replacing him with a striker which changes our shape which was so effective midweek. If Sibley can’t get in to replace Bird in that advanced role of the midfield 3 then maybe he needs to get his agent to find him a club who will consistently play him. 

He’ll be gone in January

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Nelson nods in the equaliser at the back stick after the keeper made a great point blank save low down, with the ball spinning up in the air for Nelson to attack.

Good time to equalise, not good enough in the first half without being as poor as some are making out. Just really flat performance from the lads. Think the introduction of any of Bird/Sibley/Hourihane/Wilson and even Washington will see us push on and win this. 

Its very poor considering the level of opposition 

5 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

That goal doesn’t hide the fact that this performance has been abject and void of any quality whatsoever. I AM EMBARRASSED TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH A TEAM THAT SERVES UP THIS CRAP. 

Can always support another team mate.

Bonus is that you won't be posting on this forum either.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Really poor first half overall from us. Much too big of a gap between Smith/Fornah and the forwards, so they have been lacking passing options. The crossing has been absolutely appalling apart from the final one that resulted in the goal. NML hasn't been his usual self ... he's barely ran at the full back all day. Barks has been decent, got in behind their full back a few times and put in the only decent cross I can remember, but other than him it's been below par all over the pitch I reckon.

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think the debate will continue long into the international break tbh unless our second half performance (against the worst team in this division by the way) is much improved. 

Results can go some way to papering over cracks but that first half was grim in parts. 

“Grim in parts” is the key bit here. It was poor in moments, but wasn’t anywhere near as bad as some are quick to make out.

The lads didn’t seem quite at it, Cheltenham have a new manager and have put in a lot of effort, but we did create chances, there were some moments of passing football, just poorly executed in the final third and sloppy in possession to give a goal away. 
Another half of football for the team to show more effort and quality. NML to come off, one of the front 2 as well, get a Bird, Sibley or Hourihane in as the 10 and put Wilson on for NML.