Signing Of The Season So Far???

Dartmouth Ram

3 hours ago, Dartmouth Ram said:

I know we're only 10 games in but I think it's enough to determine what potential gems we've unearthed this season. Here's mine in no particular order:

1. Curtis Nelson - Shaky start but improved game after game and looks rock solid and assured at the back.

2. Ryan Nyambe - Only three games played but unbeaten in all three & looks easily a Championship Player. Can't believe nobody came in for him in the summer. Imperative we get him tied down to a long term contract.

3. Tyrese Fornah - Florist's loss is most definitely our gain. Growing in confidence game after game, technically gifted and also reads the game very well. Could be a mainstay in our midfield for few years.

4. Martyn Waghorn: Got to admit I was somewhat sceptical about his return but 5 goals already this season in less than 10 games proves me wrong. League One is most definitely his level at his age and I'm certain they'll be plenty more goals to come.

Bang on Dartmouth. I also agree with @Gerry Daly and would have Wilson on my list too. I know he missed a couple last night, but I think there's a serious player in there. 

Also intrigued by TJJ, who could be the cherry on the cake! Anyone know when he's likely to be back in contention?

Same four as everyone else - Nelson, Nyambe, Fornah & Waghorn. 

Fornah is the player who I like most, you can really see a potential significant upside to him and his play. Technically and physically, he's fantastic. He's still very raw, but feel that he's a player who does have a pretty high ceiling - certainly no less talented than Bird, Sibley or Knight which is huge considering how cheap we were to pick him up. 

For me, Fornah. First 2 games saw early doors, unnecessary yellow cards and I doubted him. Since then he's become a rock in defence and exciting going forward. His performances have allowed Bird to play the #10 role where he started slowly but grew into the game providing some very good attacking passes. Downside of him playing there is it denies Sibs the chance to play his preferred role...

I like Wilson because he excites the fans. He doesn’t look to pass sideways or backwards, neither does he just bang a cross to no-one, he would much rather take his man on and make something happen. He is perhaps the best dribbler we’ve had at Derby for years and years.

But my vote is for Fornah and Nyambe in equal measures because they have added so much to the whole squad. They have freed other players to “do their thing” instead of having to do half of someone else’s role - hence Smith’s performance at Blackpool.

Edited by DavesaRam

35 minutes ago, sage said:

it's interesting that the later signings on the whole have been better, Nyambe, Fornah and Waghorn. I wonder if there was a change in prodecure?

Would we have signed Nyambe if Rooney didn't pick up a serious injury? There were very few alternative free agents out there, with Nyambe being the obvious option.

Would we have signed Waghorn if Forsyth wasn't a part time agent? It sounded like he was only being signed as 3rd/4th choice CF too

1 hour ago, sage said:

it's interesting that the later signings on the whole have been better, Nyambe, Fornah and Waghorn. I wonder if there was a change in prodecure?

Surely it's just that Nyambe and (possibly to a lesser extent) Fornah were holding out for championship clubs and therefore were only available once that no longer looked possible.

Just now, Blondest Goat said:

Surely it's just that Nyambe and (possibly to a lesser extent) Fornah were holding out for championship clubs and thereforle were only available once that no longer looked possible.

it's the case in Nyambe certainly. Beyond that it's speculation.