Derby v Cambridge Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

This is a very important point. I think people forget these players are not top class players with top class decision making and composure.

Warne has obviously made mistakes this season. These players have also made mistakes this season, the kind of mistakes games hinge upon. There will be days when your players simply don’t deliver no matter how much you try.

Collins, Barkhuizen, NML, Waghorn - they will have days when everything they touch turns to gold but equally they will also have days when they frustrate you to high heaven. We know that very well by now - you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Today was one of those days. On Tuesday, it could be the reverse. Waghorn scores two, we win and people are dreaming again. Why so much panic?

They might not be top class players but as Warne would say they are top class humans and good people 

17 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Exactly! Listened to Colin Gibson's post match thoughts regarding the fact that Warne doesn't really appear to rate some of Rosenior's signings but obviously can't say so.The players who currently beat the brunt of most of our frustrations are Collins,NML and Smith-all LR signings.Contracts for Hourihane,Smith,NML,Collins,Barks and Sibley expire next June and I won't miss any of them.Cashin and Bird ,however,will be big losses but that's where we are as a club,sadly.Fornah,Nelson and Nyambe are good additions and Ward,Wilson and Elder,when fit,should improve us.Like many others I feel frustrated but expecting instantaneous success after what we've been through is totally unrealistic.It took Fergie,the greatest,5 seasons to get it right at Utd!!

Warne is getting a lot of criticism,some of it well over the top,but I won't sit in "judgment" until the squad is full of his signings and not one where he's trying to get the best out of several players who are past there sell by date and only here because we were desperate for bodies and offering the chance of one last decent pay day.

Well said. And an injury list that is far from helpful. As long as we motor on and don’t look in danger then a development plan and strategy needs time to do its stuff and for me that is what was decided by DC when awarding a 4 year deal. … Hey, by the end of year 2 and in to 3 we want to see resilience, identity and a winning style but twitchy trigger fingers have got us nowhere in 10 years. Patience ladies and gentlemen. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

This is a very important point. I think people forget these players are not top class players with top class decision making and composure.

Warne has obviously made mistakes this season. These players have also made mistakes this season, the kind of mistakes games hinge upon. There will be days when your players simply don’t deliver no matter how much you try.

Collins, Barkhuizen, NML, Waghorn - they will have days when everything they touch turns to gold but equally they will also have days when they frustrate you to high heaven. We know that very well by now - you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Today was one of those days. On Tuesday, it could be the reverse. Waghorn scores two, we win and people are dreaming again. Why so much panic?

I agree to a point but this issue doesnt seem to be affecting Oxford or Portsmouth.  Or Plymouth, Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday last season.  That's the point.  If you want to be promoted you can't afford to have these days.  Or at least not as many as we are having.

Edited by Blondest Goat

I thought that that was our best home performance of the season, played behind their full backs numerous times, only to be found wanting with the final ball or having someone in space on the edge of the box for a pull pack.

My biggest moan is about the taking of free kicks and corners, they were woeful, even Sibo made a mess of them. These are professional footballers kicking a stationary ball, I could have done better. I think some time needs to be spent on the training ground.

Overall, I'm more optimistic than before the game, I have belief that they can play football the right way, apparently following PW's instructions, contrary to what some think.

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I thought that that was our best home performance of the season, played behind their full backs numerous times, only to be found wanting with the final ball or having someone in space on the edge of the box for a pull pack.

My biggest moan is about the taking of free kicks and corners, they were woeful, even Sibo made a mess of them. These are professional footballers kicking a stationary ball, I could have done better. I think some time needs to be spent on the training ground.

Overall, I'm more optimistic than before the game, I have belief that they can play football the right way, apparently following PW's instructions, contrary to what some think.

We couldn't score in a brothel. We had how many shots on target at home, against an ordinary side?

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

I disagree with this bit. Mendez Laing was clean through on goal after a minute but despite having a run from half way, at some stage managed to run away from goal. That's a clear cut chance. Collins' header in the second half, a clear cut chance. Waghorn's header, a clear cut chance. Barks shot after Mendez's fail, a clear cut chance. Plus we hit the post in the first half (I think, it was down the far end).

We created more than enough to win the game, aside from the admittedly poor two efforts on target. 

4 times I counted he got the ball stuck under his feet today. On that occasion it bobbled on to his left which he doesn’t appear to be confident standing on, let alone shooting into a glaring net with. Hence he pushed it to such and acute angle that Barks had literally nowt to aim at but their keeper!

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We couldn't score in a brothel. We had how many shots on target at home, against an ordinary side?

There have been so many recent past managers for whom this could be true though… It’s almost a pandemic of DCFC managers of the last 10 y.

Just spinning the bottle for another one seems so unlikely to result in a different outcome… 

I'm usually Captain Grumpy however I thought we played much better today. Typical football isn't it, play horrendous and win, play really well and it's 0-0. Both full backs were superb today, blocked all their attacks. We just lacked some quality in the final third. The forward line let us down today.

I hope Warne sticks with this system though, it has potential when we have more players coming back from injury.

6 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

There have been so many recent past managers for whom this could be true though… It’s almost a pandemic of DCFC managers of the last 10 y.

Just spinning the bottle for another one seems so unlikely to result in a different outcome… 

We're in League 1. So many recent managers haven't been chosen to get us out of League 1. Spinning the bottle might not get us better but I don't think it could get us worse unless Jewell or Docherty is chosen.

I thought Mendez-Lang was utter pants today,,,,,,, maybe his head is still in Guatemala, because it certainly wasn’t with him today. He should have been taken off 25 minutes earlier and Wilson given much more time - He won’t be with us next season, so hopefully his wages can be spent on a couple of young hungry wide guys 🤔🐏

Fornah looks good but it won’t work with him and Smith in the middle. No creativity, no penetration and no forward emphasis. Sideways and back again.

Two slow strikers together won’t work. Nothing in behind.

Our only chance is for the wingers to do something.

It’s depressing football. I wasn’t excited today and wasn’t ever on the edge of my seat.

Then his after match interview and after 15 seconds he was talking about sugar.

The sooner he goes the Better for this club.

35 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Bloody hell that is depressing thought, our beloved football club full of ‘his’ type of players. By that point though at least I’ll probably be spending the money I would have spent on a season ticket on something more entertaining/enjoyable. A new Xbox possibly..🙂 

Whatever floats your boat ! but I like the look of Vickers,Nyambe ,Nelson,Elder,Fornah,Ward and Wilson.Unlike some I'll give it a bit more time .

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We're in League 1. So many recent managers haven't been chosen to get us out of League 1. Spinning the bottle might not get us better but I don't think it could get us worse unless Jewell or Docherty is chosen.

Expensive for the club to keep punting for anyone but the last guy. (And crossing fingers.)

If we had a good striker we would be in top 6 and then the debates would be a bit different…

13 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

I thought Mendez-Lang was utter pants today,,,,,,, maybe his head is still in Guatemala, because it certainly wasn’t with him today. He should have been taken off 25 minutes earlier and Wilson given much more time - He won’t be with us next season, so hopefully his wages can be spent on a couple of young hungry wide guys 🤔🐏

mia-wallace-pulp-fiction.gif