Will Derby County get back in Premiership

Curtains

There's such a massive financial disparity that teams recently relegated from the Prem have a much much better chance of going back up than other teams, but then there's always a Luton Town to upset the general rule.

It may change, but currently every team outside of maybe 5 huge Prem teams (+ Tottenham lol) are relegation candidates. Brighton & Brentford may look good now but they have to keep the treadmill of developing decent cheaper signings coming through as they'll always be outmuscled by bigger clubs.  Southampton did it for a while but eventually they ran out of Virgil van Dijks and Sadio Manes.

I'm more concerned about Derby having a solid, sustainable platform to produce good academy players while playing a with coherent, attractive style & system from top to bottom. Hopefully if you get that right you will enjoy some promotions (and sustainable relegations).

Because the EFL are still sanctioning us it is difficult to see a path to the Premier League even if a rich investor bought us and I think it would deter them anyway. 
So i am grateful to David Clowes for saving us but I’m still a bit glum about what we have been through as a Football Club. 

Just now, Curtains said:

Do you think Clowes will have to sell eventually to rich investors to achieve that aim or is it possible for him to do it 

No reason in principle why not but a lot of things have to go right at the same time from player to manager (and that is NOT a comment about our current manager). And above all we would have to have a lot of luck going our way on everything from referees decisions to academy fruitfulness.

If there’s anything I worry about about David Clowes’ ownership is his relative wealth. He’s clearly a rich man by any stretch of imagination. Good for him.  But he isn’t football rich it seems to me even at championship level never mind PL level. When you have clubs effectively owned by countries rather than individuals then having a couple of hundred million isn’t enough, especially if you then want your club/business to be self sustainable.  
There are reasons why very few (can’t name any but I presume there are some) football clubs are actually self sustainable and genuinely have income greater than expenditure. I doubt any in the PL actually are, nor the championship for that matter and so for us to get there requires someone to spend/gamble enough to make it possible or take a long time (and have a lot of patience). We’re not a club with a lot of patience from top to bottom as these pages often demonstrate.

I don’t know how many years of watching live football I have left.  I’ve done 60 or so. David Clowes’ relative financial weakness is a huge problem for football as a whole and is the result of FFP and TV plus feeble football administration. I live in hope that we will gain two promotions in the next 10 years or so and that I see it,  but I’m not expecting it. We certainly can’t win anything in the top league any more other than individual matches. I am just glad that I have lived through the golden age of football when football life was simpler, fairer and better. And we were good.

2 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

No reason in principle why not but a lot of things have to go right at the same time from player to manager (and that is NOT a comment about our current manager). And above all we would have to have a lot of luck going our way on everything from referees decisions to academy fruitfulness.

If there’s anything I worry about about David Clowes’ ownership is his relative wealth. He’s clearly a rich man by any stretch of imagination. Good for him.  But he isn’t football rich it seems to me even at championship level never mind PL level. When you have clubs effectively owned by countries rather than individuals then having a couple of hundred million isn’t enough, especially if you then want your club/business to be self sustainable.  
There are reasons why very few (can’t name any but I presume there are some) football clubs are actually self sustainable and genuinely have income greater than expenditure. I doubt any in the PL actually are, nor the championship for that matter and so for us to get there requires someone to spend/gamble enough to make it possible or take a long time (and have a lot of patience). We’re not a club with a lot of patience from top to bottom as these pages often demonstrate.

I don’t know how many years of watching live football I have left.  I’ve done 60 or so. David Clowes’ relative financial weakness is a huge problem for football as a whole and is the result of FFP and TV plus feeble football administration. I live in hope that we will gain two promotions in the next 10 years or so and that I see it,  but I’m not expecting it. We certainly can’t win anything in the top league any more other than individual matches. I am just glad that I have lived through the golden age of football when football life was simpler, fairer and better. And we were good.

Great post.  I concur fully. 
I too am not sure I will ever see us in the top flight again in my lifetime 

41 minutes ago, 21CSchizoidRam said:

if Luton can do it, then so can we!

THIS.

Don't think it will be with Warne, he's shown little ability to even execute a very simple style of football. Style of football though isn't the defining factor, not is finances to get promotion. So why shouldn't we, we've been very close quite often. 

Edited by RoyMac5

50 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Because the EFL are still sanctioning us it is difficult to see a path to the Premier League even if a rich investor bought us and I think it would deter them anyway. 
So i am grateful to David Clowes for saving us but I’m still a bit glum about what we have been through as a Football Club. 

We’ve got one of the best squads in the league (again) and we’re virtually out of sanctions. there were no excuses last year for missing promotion and the only excuse this year is we carelessly mislaid the services of Mr McGoldrick. 

50 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Rules are rules. When a club, any EFL club, comes out of Administration they are subject to a tight budget for the next 2 years. That's been the rule for ages. You have to live by your means for 2 years. You present a fully costed budget in a business plan to the EFL. If they like it, they'll agree to it. If not, they'll tell you what they don't like and you amend it. It seems that both of ours, this season and last, were accepted first time. Elon Musk, richest man in the world, could buy us tomorrow but he still wouldn't be allowed to overspend the agreed business plan. This was all known the minute MM put us into Admin...

I think David Clewes must have Derby County up for sale for us to progress 

Everyone is grateful for his saving of the club but a club the size and potential of Derby must be attractive to someone with serious money 

When you think what tinpot little clubs have attacted large investment. How someone can't see what is acheivable at Derby amazes me. everything is there, the ground , the training facilities, the fanbase 

I also think we need a manager with a better pedigree, better knowledge of a higher level and contacts for us to progress 

1 hour ago, 21CSchizoidRam said:

if Luton can do it, then so can we!

Luton have a good chance of taking our Unwanted record this season, but if they come down , I am sure they will spend £33 mill per season , wisely . The could even become a Yo-Yo team like Norwich. Seems like teams coming down from the Prem , don’t mind spending a couple of years in the Champ and live off the Parachute payments. As for us - I am saying 5 years with a Billionaire owner and 10 without.