Will Derby County get back in Premiership

Curtains

2 minutes ago, David said:

The Premiership no longer exists.

We should aspire to be in the Premier League, that's where the best of the best are these days.

What is the difference between Premier League and premiership?

Premier League, also called Premiership, English professional football (soccer) league established in 1992. The league, which comprises 20 clubs, superseded the first division of the English Football League (EFL) as the top level of football in England.

2 minutes ago, David said:

It was the Carling Premiership.

Then in 2001 it became Barclays Premier League.

Now it's just Premier League.

Not sure where you've quoted that from but it's no longer known as the Premiership, hasn't for 20+ years.

Pedantic or what 

Football really isn’t that difficult. But so many people with money in it don’t have a clue what they are doing. 

Recruitment is 100% the most important aspect of football. Especially for a club of our size. Every club of our size should be looking to recruit players that fit in with their style of play and that they can sell for a profit. 

There is of course adding experience for specific roles when needed. But 80% of your signings should be with the idea of selling for a profit.

Clough did it. Russell, Bryson, Ward, Keogh, Brayford, Martin, Forsyth, Bailey, Cywka, Doyle, Maguire, Fielding, Robinson, Sammon, Coutts, Freeman - All of these players were bought in that 20-25 years old age group and all of them had potential higher re-sale value. Not all of them were hits, but the planning was there.

Now compare with the Mel Morris era. Honestly, one of the worst recruitment periods I have ever seen. Bent, Anya, Shackell, Bradley Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman, Olsson, Nugent, Davies, Huddlestone, Jerome, Waghorn, Malone, Jozefzoon - all of these players were signed at 26+ for either big fees or big wages. None had re-sale value.

Some did, like Ince, Weimann, Vydra, Marriott - But they were big money gambles where we had mixed results.

If we go back to Nigel Clough period type recruitment we have a chance. 

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Synonym meaning Similar and opposite words.

Similar, having a resemblance in appearance, character, or quantity, without being identical.

Shall we go on, or just accept it's now called the Premier League and has been for a number of years now?

Sad thing in all this is, it just shows how long we've been out of it when some of us don't even know what it's even called now. 😭

On 12/09/2023 at 15:22, eddy779h34 said:

I think David Clewes must have Derby County up for sale for us to progress 

Everyone is grateful for his saving of the club but a club the size and potential of Derby must be attractive to someone with serious money 

When you think what tinpot little clubs have attacted large investment. How someone can't see what is acheivable at Derby amazes me. everything is there, the ground , the training facilities, the fanbase 

I also think we need a manager with a better pedigree, better knowledge of a higher level and contacts for us to progress 

Regards owner, there is a saying better the devil you know. Whats saying we get a rich owner that things will turn out better, besides dont think we have got the same pull as the so called bigger clubs.

It’s possible we might return to the top division in England but this may not be the Premier League as we know it today - another question and thread I know 

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Last few seasons, this is the number of teams that have been relegated straight back down the season after:

2023 - 0 / 2022 - 2 / 2021 - 2 / 2020 - 1 / 2019 - 1 / 2018 - 0 / 2017 - 2 / 2016 - 1 / 2015 - 2 / 2014 - 1

Not since 1998 (and it has only happened once in the EPL) have all three teams who were promoted then been relegated the season after. It's no harder to get there than it's ever been, it costs more but the returns (at all levels) are greater. And in the last few seasons Luton, Huddersfield, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Bournemouth, Fulham, Forest, Norwich, Brenford, Cardiff, Brighton, Hull, Watford, QPR, Reading, Blackpool and Stoke (all of whom I would suggest are in the same 'size' club as Derby) have managed it. We've not taken the opportunity but there is no reason we shouldn't or couldn't.

Does Clowes have the financial pockets to take us there? I think he would admit himself he doesn't - but that wasn't the OP question.

Of the clubs you mention only Sheff utd are the same size club as Derby. The rest are smaller. But actually being a big club in a small pond is a handicap for us now. 

it certainly seems to make the refs want to not give us anything for a start. 

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Last few seasons, this is the number of teams that have been relegated straight back down the season after:

2023 - 0 / 2022 - 2 / 2021 - 2 / 2020 - 1 / 2019 - 1 / 2018 - 0 / 2017 - 2 / 2016 - 1 / 2015 - 2 / 2014 - 1

Not since 1998 (and it has only happened once in the EPL) have all three teams who were promoted then been relegated the season after. It's no harder to get there than it's ever been, it costs more but the returns (at all levels) are greater. And in the last few seasons Luton, Huddersfield, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Bournemouth, Fulham, Forest, Norwich, Brenford, Cardiff, Brighton, Hull, Watford, QPR, Reading, Blackpool and Stoke (all of whom I would suggest are in the same 'size' club as Derby) have managed it. We've not taken the opportunity but there is no reason we shouldn't or couldn't.

Does Clowes have the financial pockets to take us there? I think he would admit himself he doesn't - but that wasn't the OP question.

Watford are an extension to some old blokes allotment for starters and Bournemouth get about 9000 through the door.  I'm not feeling the same size club to be honest.

10 hours ago, MadAmster said:

The sugar daddy method looks attractive to many on here. That is obvious from all the we need to spend..... posts. As Bob Dylan wrote and sang... the times, they are a-changing.

The days of billionaires buying a new toy to play with are past their peak and clubs will have to come to grips with living within their means. I really can't believe that so many seem to be wanting the exact conditions, spending mega bucks on players and their wages that saw MM nearly kill the club to return. 

Go on, amuse me by giving me a couple of examples of posters who are asking for mega bucks to be spent on players and their wages.  Otherwise I think it Idiot Wind, as written and sang by Bob Dylan in 1975.

4 hours ago, David said:

Synonym meaning Similar and opposite words.

Similar, having a resemblance in appearance, character, or quantity, without being identical.

Shall we go on, or just accept it's now called the Premier League and has been for a number of years now?

Sad thing in all this is, it just shows how long we've been out of it when some of us don't even know what it's even called now. 😭

You going to the IPRO on Saturday lol