Will Derby County get back in Premiership

Curtains

The sugar daddy method looks attractive to many on here. That is obvious from all the we need to spend..... posts. As Bob Dylan wrote and sang... the times, they are a-changing.

The days of billionaires buying a new toy to play with are past their peak and clubs will have to come to grips with living within their means. I really can't believe that so many seem to be wanting the exact conditions, spending mega bucks on players and their wages that saw MM nearly kill the club to return. Spending doesn't automatically equate to success on the field. Just look at Chelsea last season. Look at us under MM. From a club with no debt, owning the stadium, owning the training complex to, including what we "owed" MM, £240M of debt, not owning the stadium, not owning the training ground.... and in L1.

Football is, slowly, reaching the conclusion that breaking the bank isn't sustainable. DCFC is now, and will, hopefully, remain sustainable. For reasons I've posted in other threads on here, I think we have money. Come next summer, I think PW will be allowed to spend some of it once we don't have an EFL agreed business plan to stick to. However, I'm certain we won't be plunging the club into debt any time soon. If David Clowes does sell, I'm of the opinion that part of the contract will stipulate the club has to remain sustainable. If it didn't state that I'd be hugely disappointed in Mr Clowes. Summer 2022 was not the first time the club has almost gone into liquidation in my lifetime. I genuinely hope we never get anywhere near that again. Acting sensibly is the only way to guarantee that. I'm far from certain that we'd survive another near extinction...

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Yes that’s it .

Doesn’t matter if we get promoted or not does it 

No need to bother if we win or lose 

It’s only a game .

I mean what’s the point of matches 

The point of matches is to win.  And I go to see Derby, hopefully, win.

Resultantly when the dice are so loaded against us, I would far rather be playing Bolton and know we’re going to be competitive than rocking up to Liverpool with it being a foregone conclusion, and scratching around the bottom like Everton do every year.

Of course, I would love to see Derby doing well in the top flight and in Europe, however I am pragmatic enough to appreciate that is pretty much a closed shop.

Twenty years ago Kidderminster, York, Scunthorpe, Bury, Darlington, Boston, Torquay, Southend and Macclesfield were in the divison below where we are now.

Twenty years ago Brighton, Bournemouth, Luton and Brentford were in the same division as we are now.

Twenty years ago Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Charlton, Leicester, Middlesborough, Portsmouth, Southampton were in the top flight

Twenty years ago Bournemouth, Brighton, Brentford, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Luton, Sheff Utd, West Ham and our good friends Forest were not

We'll be back, not tomorrow, but we will - it's almost inevitable based on a couple of things.

- Our stadium and support is big enough to ensure we will always have enough cash to make a run at it. It's not "we are entitled to be there" but it is "we have enough cashflow to be able to be there"

- It really only takes one good team (sometimes only a few good players) to get there. We've shown that before, others have also. It wouldn't be enough to keep you there but it is enough to get you there. But if you continue to get it wrong, it won't happen by divine inspiration. Sunderland, Ipswich, Charlton, Bolton, Portsmouth and others have shown that.

27 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

The point of matches is to win.  And I go to see Derby, hopefully, win.

Resultantly when the dice are so loaded against us, I would far rather be playing Bolton and know we’re going to be competitive than rocking up to Liverpool with it being a foregone conclusion, and scratching around the bottom like Everton do every year.

Of course, I would love to see Derby doing well in the top flight and in Europe, however I am pragmatic enough to appreciate that is pretty much a closed shop.

We have all the infrastructure and support to be a mid-table Prem team. All we need is the backroom staff and support to execute against that. Brighton, Brentford, Southampton, Wolves and (sad but true) Forest have shown that if you can do that you will have your time up there. None of these clubs have anything that Derby either don't or couldn't possess in terms of set up (save the jokes about six fingers and unibrows down the A52 - we know that bit).

What does amaze me is how gloriously expert we have been at throwing away the opportunities presented to us. I genuinely believe we are one of the greatest under performing club against potential in all of England. Sunderland might run us close but even they have had the odd trip to Wembley etc. For Derby, for pretty much the time since TBE's side got relegated, we have under performed.

5 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

We have all the infrastructure and support to be a mid-table Prem team. All we need is the backroom staff and support to execute against that. Brighton, Brentford, Southampton, Wolves and (sad but true) Forest have shown that if you can do that you will have your time up there. None of these clubs have anything that Derby either don't or couldn't possess in terms of set up (save the jokes about six fingers and unibrows down the A52 - we know that bit).

What does amaze me is how gloriously expert we have been at throwing away the opportunities presented to us. I genuinely believe we are one of the greatest under performing club against potential in all of England. Sunderland might run us close but even they have had the odd trip to Wembley etc. For Derby, for pretty much the time since TBE's side got relegated, we have under performed.

The challenge is that the gap has widened significantly.

The three teams that were promoted have garnered 1 point from 11 games between them so far.

Forest had to spend more than David Clowes’ net worth just to scrape in for the following season.

I predict we will be promoted this season. We will finish mid table in the Championship the following season while rebuilding the squad. Then we will be challenging for promotion to the Premier League with DC welcoming new investors onto the board. We will be playing in the top flight within the next 5 years. Not in my lifetime my arse.

33 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

The challenge is that the gap has widened significantly.

The three teams that were promoted have garnered 1 point from 11 games between them so far.

Forest had to spend more than David Clowes’ net worth just to scrape in for the following season.

Last few seasons, this is the number of teams that have been relegated straight back down the season after:

2023 - 0 / 2022 - 2 / 2021 - 2 / 2020 - 1 / 2019 - 1 / 2018 - 0 / 2017 - 2 / 2016 - 1 / 2015 - 2 / 2014 - 1

Not since 1998 (and it has only happened once in the EPL) have all three teams who were promoted then been relegated the season after. It's no harder to get there than it's ever been, it costs more but the returns (at all levels) are greater. And in the last few seasons Luton, Huddersfield, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Bournemouth, Fulham, Forest, Norwich, Brenford, Cardiff, Brighton, Hull, Watford, QPR, Reading, Blackpool and Stoke (all of whom I would suggest are in the same 'size' club as Derby) have managed it. We've not taken the opportunity but there is no reason we shouldn't or couldn't.

Does Clowes have the financial pockets to take us there? I think he would admit himself he doesn't - but that wasn't the OP question.

I don't see it any time soon if I'm honest. Hopefully we can be back to the Championship relatively soon, maybe the next couple of years but I think we are going to need a lot of things to align to get a team that can get promoted to the top flight. We will have to spend some money and we will need a good manager (don't know yet whether the current manager is that man) and the sort of blend of players that just seem to click and are far greater than the sum of their parts.

Who knows what timescale that'll be on and whether the gap is going to be harder to bridge than it is already. I'll just hope for the best but it feels like it's likely to be a long road back. Hopefully we'll have some fun along the way though. I'd love to see us get promoted though, even just from this division. It's been a long while and it'd be a big boost to the fans and the city generally.

38 minutes ago, David said:

We have about the same chance of buying a Marathon bar from the corner shop.

Not a chance.

Football has changed.

Hasn't been called Premiership for 22 years.

The more it changes the more it stays the same - if you've watched The English Game you will recall the 1879 FA Cup Final was full of scandal for teams paying players (at all). Brian Clough was constantly at Sam Longson for more money, and often got it. The stakes are higher, the risk more pronouced but - ultimately - the top twenty in the country play in the Premiership. Derby are more than within their rights to aspire to be one of that twenty.

Most of us agree- To get to the Prem and Stay in the Prem takes massive financial backing up front. So why didn’t Mike Ashley buy us for a paltry £50 mill ? Because in his eyes the “Brand” was not strong enough. This is something David Clowes can work on and turn a profit. We need to attract fans from outside Derbyshire on a large scale . Something most of us think is not important.

1 hour ago, David said:

We have about the same chance of buying a Marathon bar from the corner shop.

Not a chance.

Football has changed.

Hasn't been called Premiership for 22 years.

What is the difference between Premier League and premiership?

Premier League, also called Premiership, English professional football (soccer) league established in 1992. The league, which comprises 20 clubs, superseded the first division of the English Football League (EFL) as the top level of football in England.

52 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

The more it changes the more it stays the same - if you've watched The English Game you will recall the 1879 FA Cup Final was full of scandal for teams paying players (at all). Brian Clough was constantly at Sam Longson for more money, and often got it. The stakes are higher, the risk more pronouced but - ultimately - the top twenty in the country play in the Premiership. Derby are more than within their rights to aspire to be one of that twenty.

The Premiership no longer exists.

We should aspire to be in the Premier League, that's where the best of the best are these days.

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

What is the difference between Premier League and premiership?

Premier League, also called Premiership, English professional football (soccer) league established in 1992. The league, which comprises 20 clubs, superseded the first division of the English Football League (EFL) as the top level of football in England.

It was the Carling Premiership.

Then in 2001 it became Barclays Premier League.

Now it's just Premier League.

Not sure where you've quoted that from but it's no longer known as the Premiership, hasn't for 20+ years.