Will Derby County get back in Premiership

Curtains

I've not the slightest doubt we will. OK, we're not in a great place at the minute & seeing the treetards monopolising their moment in the sun isn't helping but football has always been cyclical. 

Luton dropped into non-league & were there for 5 years - they're now top division. Brighton were on the verge of dropping out of the League - they're now in the Europa League. Coventry were homeless & in League Two but 4 months ago were on the verge of going back to the top flight. Things can change very quickly in football & we've seen that ourselves - we went from nearly bankrupt in Division 3 in 1984 to a UEFA Cup spot by 1989.

The most important commodity for success isn't money, it's stability & establishing a consistent club ethos focusing on marginal gains. Notwithstanding doubts about the current manager, the infrastructure being built by the club is exactly what we need to be consistently successful over the long term. I suspect when our time does come, we will absolutely fly. Keep the faith 🐏💪

12 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Watford are an extension to some old blokes allotment for starters and Bournemouth get about 9000 through the door.  I'm not feeling the same size club to be honest.

It's an utterly pointless discussion this one, which is why nearly every club in the land sings "we're by far the greatest team" with no sense of irony. And it's actually irrelevant, or possibly even more relevant, if they are smaller than us. I understand why we can't keep up with a club like Man City or Liverpool, in the same way I guess most Fleetwood fans do recognise that in the long run they can't keep up with us. But I really don't care if we get bigger gates that Bournemouth or have bigger away support, what I do care about is that they are in the Premiership (sic) and we are not, even though we have an infrastructure that suggests we could be.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

It's an utterly pointless discussion this one, which is why nearly every club in the land sings "we're by far the greatest team" with no sense of irony. And it's actually irrelevant, or possibly even more relevant, if they are smaller than us. I understand why we can't keep up with a club like Man City or Liverpool, in the same way I guess most Fleetwood fans do recognise that in the long run they can't keep up with us. But I really don't care if we get bigger gates that Bournemouth or have bigger away support, what I do care about is that they are in the Premiership (sic) and we are not, even though we have an infrastructure that suggests we could be.

How very dare you .

11 points is not pointless lol 😂 

15 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

David Clowes will do just fine, unless of course he knows a fat, foreign, match-fixing gangster billionaire, drug dealing money launderer, who owns a club in another country, to sell to.

Can't think of one off the top of my head.............

Get the Legal team on red alert . I would imagine David Clowes would not sell to the likes of Mel when the time comes.

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Go on, amuse me by giving me a couple of examples of posters who are asking for mega bucks to be spent on players and their wages.  Otherwise I think it Idiot Wind, as written and sang by Bob Dylan in 1975.

I lost count of the number of posts wanting us to buy Jonson Clarke-Harris whose club started off by wanting £5M for him. In the end it, depending on where you read it, was somewhere between £800K and £1M. This season we are allowed to pay "moderate fees". I don't see £800K to £1M in L1 as "moderate".

May 19 - suggestion to buy Nisbet from Hibs. someone replied "Hibs won't budge for anything under £2m."

June 9 - Aron Collins Bristol Rovers. He would have cost 7 figures.

June 9 - Ben House. Same as Collins.

You may not have noticed but there is much more to social media than just this forum. Player suggestions who would cost up to £3M abounded during the window. They all seem not to understand what "moderate" means.

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I also think that money from bigger gate receipts probably only really works as a significant advantage in the lower leagues. By the time you are in the top flight, the extra fans (and therefore gate money) vs anyone else in that league is just not really that big a factor as TV money dwarfs the money coming through the turnstiles. That's how the likes of Brentford, Fulham etc seem to manage not to struggle. They obviously can't compete with the Man Utd's of this world for players fees and wages because their (United's) worldwide presence is a huge factor in their wealth but as the likes of Everton are finding out, no amount of history or bigger gates is going to guarantee you finishing ahead of these smaller teams, not with the way the top flight finances are structured.

26 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I lost count of the number of posts wanting us to buy Jonson Clarke-Harris whose club started off by wanting £5M for him. In the end it, depending on where you read it, was somewhere between £800K and £1M. This season we are allowed to pay "moderate fees". I don't see £800K to £1M in L1 as "moderate".

May 19 - suggestion to buy Nisbet from Hibs. someone replied "Hibs won't budge for anything under £2m."

June 9 - Aron Collins Bristol Rovers. He would have cost 7 figures.

June 9 - Ben House. Same as Collins.

You may not have noticed but there is much more to social media than just this forum. Player suggestions who would cost up to £3M abounded during the window. They all seem not to understand what "moderate" means.

Didn’t Warne say he didn’t want to go that way, paying £1m for a player? He didn’t say we couldn’t afford it as an amount.

JCH nearly sold for a lot less than the rumours so I imagine that other fees bandied about on social media were exaggerated too.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn’t Warne say he didn’t want to go that way, paying £1m for a player? He didn’t say we couldn’t afford it as an amount.

JCH nearly sold for a lot less than the rumours so I imagine that other fees bandied about on social media were exaggerated too.

1. I never said "we can't afford ..." What I have, on several occasions said is that we may only pay "moderate" fees and I believe £1M is well beyond moderate for L1

2. The figures were there. News outlets reported that Posh wanted £5M for him. No takers. Then £3M and then even less. The point being that the comment to which I replied asked for where people had talked of big fees...

You're not wrong but your comments take us away from the context of my original post to which i-Ram replied and to which I also replied. Quoting should entail context, shouldn't it?

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

1. I never said "we can't afford ..." What I have, on several occasions said is that we may only pay "moderate" fees and I believe £1M is well beyond moderate for L1

2. The figures were there. News outlets reported that Posh wanted £5M for him. No takers. Then £3M and then even less. The point being that the comment to which I replied asked for where people had talked of big fees...

You're not wrong but your comments take us away from the context of my original post to which i-Ram replied and to which I also replied. Quoting should entail context, shouldn't it?

I don’t get your point, I quoted the whole of your post?

How do you know we may only pay ‘moderate’ fees, or even what moderate is?

Football is generally cyclical, which generally means we'll be back. However, I believe we are perhaps the club with the worst record in the country for messing things up. I remember years ago reading a piece in the Times which said we had a special prize for missing chances to succeed from Clough onwards. Some may call it the 'gypsy curse' from the Racecourse Ground but there is something about us which leads us to spurning glorious opportunities for success. 

However, a club our size will not be kept down and out forever. We will get another run at the top flight in the next two decades of that I am sure. Eventually, we will stumble upon the correct combination at the right time and get back to where we belong. 

9 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Football is generally cyclical, which generally means we'll be back. However, I believe we are perhaps the club with the worst record in the country for messing things up. I remember years ago reading a piece in the Times which said we had a special prize for missing chances to succeed from Clough onwards. Some may call it the 'gypsy curse' from the Racecourse Ground but there is something about us which leads us to spurning glorious opportunities for success. 

However, a club our size will not be kept down and out forever. We will get another run at the top flight in the next two decades of that I am sure. Eventually, we will stumble upon the correct combination at the right time and get back to where we belong. 

Agree. But the gypsy curse came from the fact that a tribe of Romani were evicted from the site of the Baseball Ground not the Racecourse 

Over decades better supported teams tend to get their day or two in the sun, mainly because some outside investor, some manager and some players perceive them to have more chance of progress than, say, Accrington.  That's a long way from being an established PL club though.  Getting toward the top half of the Championship is where our sights need to be, and take it from there.

On 13/09/2023 at 17:06, Bris Vegas said:

Football really isn’t that difficult. But so many people with money in it don’t have a clue what they are doing. 

Recruitment is 100% the most important aspect of football. Especially for a club of our size. Every club of our size should be looking to recruit players that fit in with their style of play and that they can sell for a profit. 

There is of course adding experience for specific roles when needed. But 80% of your signings should be with the idea of selling for a profit.

Clough did it. Russell, Bryson, Ward, Keogh, Brayford, Martin, Forsyth, Bailey, Cywka, Doyle, Maguire, Fielding, Robinson, Sammon, Coutts, Freeman - All of these players were bought in that 20-25 years old age group and all of them had potential higher re-sale value. Not all of them were hits, but the planning was there.

Now compare with the Mel Morris era. Honestly, one of the worst recruitment periods I have ever seen. Bent, Anya, Shackell, Bradley Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman, Olsson, Nugent, Davies, Huddlestone, Jerome, Waghorn, Malone, Jozefzoon - all of these players were signed at 26+ for either big fees or big wages. None had re-sale value.

Some did, like Ince, Weimann, Vydra, Marriott - But they were big money gambles where we had mixed results.

If we go back to Nigel Clough period type recruitment we have a chance. 

The Prem is awash with £Billions , they are about to agree a handout to the EFL paupers which will “Give” us around an extra £500k a season. However they will impose stricter rules on us , as to what we can spend . Talk about keeping the rest of us down.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

The Prem is awash with £Billions , they are about to agree a handout to the EFL paupers which will “Give” us around an extra £500k a season. However they will impose stricter rules on us , as to what we can spend . Talk about keeping the rest of us down.

Exactly even if you make it up now in the current system you have a huge fight to stay there

luton are the prime example, they want to do the sensible thing but chances are they are not even going to put up a fight to stay in the premier league and before you know it they’ll be back mid table championship again

you either have to have an extremely intilligent ownership model ahead of its time or bucket loads of cash to even attempt to stay at that level now

16 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don’t get your point, I quoted the whole of your post?

How do you know we may only pay ‘moderate’ fees, or even what moderate is?

Read it on dcfc.co.uk in an article on the "business plan". 2nd part of your last sentence is something I've asked several times on here. My guesstimate has always been around £300K to £500K max and guess at it is all we can do.

What you quoted should be taken in context, your understanding of what I wrote bears little resemblance to my post.

11 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Read it on dcfc.co.uk in an article on the "business plan". 2nd part of your last sentence is something I've asked several times on here. My guesstimate has always been around £300K to £500K max and guess at it is all we can do.

What you quoted should be taken in context, your understanding of what I wrote bears little resemblance to my post.

Because you left out that information that you just quoted. The dcfc article will also be guessing unless it is an attributable quote?