Be honest. Do you dislike old people?

Normanton Lad

While chatting about Michael Parkinson I mentioned a few other Barnsley people : Dicky Bird, Brian Glover, etc. A young man aged about 60 said he’d never heard of Brian Glover. A Yorkshire man aged about 85 also said he didn’t know who he was. I said they must have seen Kes. Neither of them had. I could understand the older guy not knowing who he was because he’d spent the 1970s and 1980’s living abroad. But he was such a familiar figure to me – in an age group between the two I’ve just mentioned - that I though everyone must know who he is. 

It’s hard to relate to people outside our age group. All the tattoos, obesity and the other detritus of modern Uk culture is way beyond my understanding. Most of the comments on this part of the site are not germane to anything in my life. It makes me feel like a complete outsider. I don't post much on non-Derby County topics because I know as an older person with old fashioned views these posts would not be welcome.

I often wonder if the dislike of old people is due to their decrepitude or their views. Perhaps it is both.

13 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

While chatting about Michael Parkinson I mentioned a few other Barnsley people : Dicky Bird, Brian Glover, etc. A young man aged about 60 said he’d never heard of Brian Glover. A Yorkshire man aged about 85 also said he didn’t know who he was. I said they must have seen Kes. Neither of them had. I could understand the older guy not knowing who he was because he’d spent the 1970s and 1980’s living abroad. But he was such a familiar figure to me – in an age group between the two I’ve just mentioned - that I though everyone must know who he is. 

It’s hard to relate to people outside our age group. All the tattoos, obesity and the other detritus of modern Uk culture is way beyond my understanding. Most of the comments on this part of the site are not germane to anything in my life. It makes me feel like a complete outsider. I don't post much on non-Derby County topics because I know as an older person with old fashioned views these posts would not be welcome.

I often wonder if the dislike of old people is due to their decrepitude or their views. Perhaps it is both.

I'm under 50 and know who Brian Glover is.

Don't think it's an age thing. Some people are more 'culturally' aware, they like quizzes, follow trends, know about movies, have an interest in history....some don't and have no interest outside their own here and now.

Some things change around us though. I was on a course about 10 years ago and at the end we had to write something nice about everyone on the course to take away. One woman (now a manager) wrote that I had a nice bum.  No way would she do that now. Things you can/can't say is different.  Personally I think the world is kinder especially if you're in a minority group but that in general people are less hardy, less resilient and much quicker to blame others for their ills.

Edited by Chester40

Anyone bloke who went to Ashbourne secondary school in the 1970's will remember Barry Greenwood the PE teacher. I swear Brian Glover's character in Kes was based on him?

He always picked his favourites to play on his team at footie, (i.e. the best players). He was totally shameless. 😆

10 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

Anyone who generalises in such a way really do need to take a hard look at themselves. By the way, I’m not sure tattoos and obesity etc are age specific? Everyone is different. Obviously I don’t dislike him but my own father (93) irritates the hell out of me sometimes because he’s so damn awkward but my father in law is fine.

It’s not always easy to relate to people from a different generation as you’ll probably have less in common (generally speaking of course 😀). 

No, I dont dislike old people as I am one 🤣

There is a sort of balance, I have no idea who these Tick Tock influencers are or who sings the latest Pop song but my Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren dont know much about history or current affairs. I suppose there is a time, as you get older, you become more reflective.

When the Queen died we were discussing the monachy and two of my grandchilden were shocked when I told them of the abdication of Edward VIII, they didnt know of the Queens German hertiage I dont think they knew that such a subject would interest them but it did. 

I still have no intrest in Tick Tock😁

47 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

You appear to have written a post stating how you don't relate to people of a different age, but then ask why people dislike 'people like you'. You are casting yourself as the outsider.

Perhaps some self reflection time, if that isn't too modern.  

32 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Anyone bloke who went to Ashbourne secondary school in the 1970's will remember Barry Greenwood the PE teacher. I swear Brian Glover's character in Kes was based on him?

He always picked his favourites to play on his team at footie, (i.e. the best players). He was totally shameless. 😆

I think Glover's character was based on Glover himself. He was a teacher at the same school as Barry Hines. But then again, you might be right about Greenwood. Barry Hines was a local teacher. He had a spell teaching at Dale School.

Glover was quite a good player. He played for Barnsley boys around 1948. He mentions online that he played against Len Allchurch when he played against Swansea Boys, but I think Cliff Jones might also have been in the Swansea team. He complains in one Youtube video that he missed the chance to play against Derby Boys at Barnsley because he was dropped. The Parry brothers and a few other very good players were in the Derby team.

45 minutes ago, sage said:

Well I'm 54, loved Parky, my favourite film is Kes and I spoke to Dickie Bird 5 days ago.

Does that make you feel better

I said 

DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER

Doesn't make me feel better, but it makes me feel bitter. I would have enjoyed a chat with Dickie Bird. Parkinson's sports journalism was top rate. I think Kes is the favourite film of a lot of people. This could be wrong, but didn't Robert Duvall say it was his favourite film?

5 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

Doesn't make me feel better, but it makes me feel bitter. I would have enjoyed a chat with Dickie Bird. Parkinson's sports journalism was top rate. I think Kes is the favourite film of a lot of people. This could be wrong, but didn't Robert Duvall say it was his favourite film?

Robert Duvall wasn't at the Scarborough Cricket Festival so didn't get chance to ask him.

TBH Kes isn't my favourite film though it's excellent. The football scene is however, my favourite film scene   

46 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Anyone who generalises in such a way really do need to take a hard look at themselves. By the way, I’m not sure tattoos and obesity etc are age specific? Everyone is different. Obviously I don’t dislike him but my own father (93) irritates the hell out of me sometimes because he’s so damn awkward but my father in law is fine.

It’s not always easy to relate to people from a different generation as you’ll probably have less in common (generally speaking of course 😀). 

I don't know anyone my age who has tattoos. It is a young thing. There are many obese old people but there are far more young obese people today than when I was young. Maybe this is judgemental but I don't like looking at obese people or tattooed people and when these things are combined I find it totally revolting. Perhaps that observation makes me a bad person, but I am being honest.

38 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

No, I dont dislike old people as I am one 🤣

There is a sort of balance, I have no idea who these Tick Tock influencers are or who sings the latest Pop song but my Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren dont know much about history or current affairs. I suppose there is a time, as you get older, you become more reflective.

When the Queen died we were discussing the monachy and two of my grandchilden were shocked when I told them of the abdication of Edward VIII, they didnt know of the Queens German hertiage I dont think they knew that such a subject would interest them but it did. 

I still have no intrest in Tick Tock😁

I talk to a few young people and even university students seem ignorant about British history and culture. Here are some of the things I learned yesterday from a science student at university. He had never heard of John Betjeman, Dennis Potter, the Suez Crisis or Ernest Marples.

Also I'm 41 and have tattoos, I can only speak for myself and my own reasons to help you understand mine.

Basically, I had a long battle with anxiety, which itself can be difficult to understand for older people, I didn't speak to my Dad for many years after telling me basically to "man up".

"If there was a war on, you can't stay inside and refuse to fight as you're too scared to leave the house"

Back to the anxiety, I lost most of my twenties and early 30s through it. My first tattoo was the date I launched this forum which was created during this time.

I wanted it as a permanent reminder that I can go outside, sit in a chair and it's all perfectly normal.

Being permanent was kinda the point, I never wanted to lose that reminder.

It was only small, took maybe half hour to complete.

Shortly after I had a relapse so it didn't really work, but fell in love with the tattoo culture, the stories they tell. Even the Benidorm 2023 arse cheek tattoo someone will have had done will be part of their story.

As I came back out of my dark spell, I continued up my arm along the battle theme, my Dad was a manager at Rolls Royce, always took us plane spotting so I went with spitfires.

I have a quote, there is no victory without a battle, a skull tattoo with a helmet missing a tooth and so on.

They almost become a bit of an addiction, I wanted all my story on there, one of my favourites is my dog which I had done whilst he's still alive as I know when he's no longer here I will be in bits and could never sit and have it done without boiling my eyes out.

My intention was only ever to have one, now I have 2 full sleeves, neck, spine, hands, half of one leg and a small bit on the other.

It's my story permanently inked on my body. I won't lie, I have some which are just because I liked the art, but 90% are super meaningful to myself.

They are not for everyone and I can see how some people may dislike tattoos, which is absolutely fine at the end of the day we're all individuals on our own paths in life. I would have no problem with any old person that turned to me and said my tattoos were s***.

Oh I'm also technically obese as the NHS would say, I have no defence for that other than I love a few pints. 

IMG_3096.jpeg

IMG_3097.jpeg

@David

Great post, and makes a lot of sense. That's from somebody with a similar history, but also someone who has never understood tattoos. I'm 60s now, but I didn't understand them even when I was 20! I used to think, why would you want something on your arm, for example? It doesn't matter what it is. Date, name , art whatever. 

Surely it can't be there for you to sit and look at . That would be just weird. But it would be even more weird, for me anyway, if it was there because you wanted other people to look at your arm. Why would anyone want that? Then there's the stuff, that's not even visible to yourself, or anyone else for the vast majority of the time, on someone's back for example. 

So, have never understood what they're for. I don't like or dislike them, just don't understand the purpose, but yours is a great explanation, and the dog one is perfect. 

1 minute ago, Normanton Lad said:

I talk to a few young people and even university students seem ignorant about British history and culture. Here are some of the things I learned yesterday from a science student at university. He had never heard of John Betjeman, Dennis Potter, the Suez Crisis or Ernest Marples.

How much of their culture are you ignorant of?