Be honest. Do you dislike old people?

Normanton Lad

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

It does makes sense, just we are agreeing lol.

The pace of change is pretty crazy. My nan is nearly 98 now and the changes she has seen through her life are just incredible. A 100 year old in the 1920s would have seen some pretty big changes too, but not really like what we've witnessed in the last 100. 

Will the pace just keep accelerating now, especially if some of the hype around AI comes true. Or will everything just quickly crash and burn?

I think there is a monumental shift coming with various types of automation across almost every industry. How that will impact us I have no idea but it will happen over time and I reckon the jobs market as we know it will be almost unrecognisable in 20-30 years.

I'd like to think we can all go down the UBI route and have a majority of people living with a degree of comfort and security, but I think we all know that idea will be killed off in pursuit of profit and wealth extraction.

30 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

The pace of change is pretty crazy. My nan is nearly 98 now and the changes she has seen through her life are just incredible. A 100 year old in the 1920s would have seen some pretty big changes too, but not really like what we've witnessed in the last 100. 

You're right. In fact we have actually witnessed the adoption of new technologies - often within a single decade - that have changed our lives:

• cars
  • radio / TV
  • computers
  • internet
  • mobile phones
  • smart phones

Which kind of gives me hope for fixing our big climate change problem. Often it's too easy to think that "nothing will change" - yet we've seen all of the above change everything at high speed. We aren't going to turn around the carbon emissions/warming issues quickly (if ever) - the only other option is that we, as a species, engineer our way out of it

On 09/09/2023 at 12:40, David said:

Also I'm 41 and have tattoos, I can only speak for myself and my own reasons to help you understand mine.

Basically, I had a long battle with anxiety, which itself can be difficult to understand for older people, I didn't speak to my Dad for many years after telling me basically to "man up".

"If there was a war on, you can't stay inside and refuse to fight as you're too scared to leave the house"

Back to the anxiety, I lost most of my twenties and early 30s through it. My first tattoo was the date I launched this forum which was created during this time.

I wanted it as a permanent reminder that I can go outside, sit in a chair and it's all perfectly normal.

Being permanent was kinda the point, I never wanted to lose that reminder.

It was only small, took maybe half hour to complete.

Shortly after I had a relapse so it didn't really work, but fell in love with the tattoo culture, the stories they tell. Even the Benidorm 2023 arse cheek tattoo someone will have had done will be part of their story.

As I came back out of my dark spell, I continued up my arm along the battle theme, my Dad was a manager at Rolls Royce, always took us plane spotting so I went with spitfires.

I have a quote, there is no victory without a battle, a skull tattoo with a helmet missing a tooth and so on.

They almost become a bit of an addiction, I wanted all my story on there, one of my favourites is my dog which I had done whilst he's still alive as I know when he's no longer here I will be in bits and could never sit and have it done without boiling my eyes out.

My intention was only ever to have one, now I have 2 full sleeves, neck, spine, hands, half of one leg and a small bit on the other.

It's my story permanently inked on my body. I won't lie, I have some which are just because I liked the art, but 90% are super meaningful to myself.

They are not for everyone and I can see how some people may dislike tattoos, which is absolutely fine at the end of the day we're all individuals on our own paths in life. I would have no problem with any old person that turned to me and said my tattoos were s***.

Oh I'm also technically obese as the NHS would say, I have no defence for that other than I love a few pints. 

IMG_3096.jpeg

IMG_3097.jpeg

Not a fan of tattoos, but loved this post. Thanks. And the little pooch looks amazing.

I guess I'm old, but in my experience many older people still feel as if they're in their 20s. I loved the moment recently when I was walking up the street with my dad and some young thing walked past the other way, and he turned to me and said: "You're never too old to look". He's on his third pacemaker now, keeping him alive decades longer than he would have been otherwise.

Which takes me to my follow up. I've written about curing and reversing aging, and this is becoming a very active area of research nowadays. Who wants to live forever? In my role as a publisher, I'm trying to promote the idea of longevity research, with a view to curing death (which is the biggest killer there is). I've a couple of books on this under contract, which I hope will cement the ideas in the national consciousness. And there will come a time no one has to look or feel old - when everyone looks as young as they want, even if they're 411 or some age like that. Some with Tatts and some without. This starts with medical advances like my dad's pacemakers, but where does it end? If you're not convinced that curing death is a good idea, here's a lovely very short fable one of my authors wrote, called The Fable of the Dragon Tyrant https://nickbostrom.com/fable/dragon

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not a fan of tattoos, but loved this post. Thanks. And the little pooch looks amazing.

I guess I'm old, but in my experience many older people still feel as if they're in their 20s. I loved the moment recently when I was walking up the street with my dad and some young thing walked past the other way, and he turned to me and said: "You're never too old to look". He's on his third pacemaker now, keeping him alive decades longer than he would have been otherwise.

Which takes me to my follow up. I've written about curing and reversing aging, and this is becoming a very active area of research nowadays. Who wants to live forever? In my role as a publisher, I'm trying to promote the idea of longevity research, with a view to curing death (which is the biggest killer there is). I've a couple of books on this under contract, which I hope will cement the ideas in the national consciousness. And there will come a time no one has to look or feel old - when everyone looks as young as they want, even if they're 411 or some age like that. Some with Tatts and some without. This starts with medical advances like my dad's pacemakers, but where does it end? If you're not convinced that curing death is a good idea, here's a lovely very short fable one of my authors wrote, called The Fable of the Dragon Tyrant https://nickbostrom.com/fable/dragon

I assume you have had an extended life already, using prehistoric phrases like "some young thing".

19 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

You're right. In fact we have actually witnessed the adoption of new technologies - often within a single decade - that have changed our lives:

• cars
  • radio / TV
  • computers
  • internet
  • mobile phones
  • smart phones

Which kind of gives me hope for fixing our big climate change problem. Often it's too easy to think that "nothing will change" - yet we've seen all of the above change everything at high speed. We aren't going to turn around the carbon emissions/warming issues quickly (if ever) - the only other option is that we, as a species, engineer our way out of it

I do not doubt that humanity is more than capable of fixing the climate change issue in a technological capacity. I do doubt our ability to go about it in a grown-up, united and coherent way. 

We are our own worst enemy and unfortunately, a lot of the people with the power, finances, and influence to do what is needed simply do not care enough about it or see it as a hindrance to their own ambition (be that political or financial).

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I wouldn't be against living forever, as long as I was in a physically decent shape and not living in pain.

Although it's a bit of a pipe dream surely? How do you control over population, or is this where Musk comes in with his living on Mars idea?

Also, being a space man yourself, you would know better than me, but isn't all this planet set to explode one day as well?

2 hours ago, David said:

I wouldn't be against living forever, as long as I was in a physically decent shape and not living in pain.

Although it's a bit of a pipe dream surely? How do you control over population, or is this where Musk comes in with his living on Mars idea?

Also, being a space man yourself, you would know better than me, but isn't all this planet set to explode one day as well?

I think Putin has a plan to reduce the world's population.....

On 09/09/2023 at 11:15, Chester40 said:

I'm under 50 and know who Brian Glover is.

Don't think it's an age thing. Some people are more 'culturally' aware, they like quizzes, follow trends, know about movies, have an interest in history....some don't and have no interest outside their own here and now.

Some things change around us though. I was on a course about 10 years ago and at the end we had to write something nice about everyone on the course to take away. One woman (now a manager) wrote that I had a nice bum.  No way would she do that now. Things you can/can't say is different.  Personally I think the world is kinder especially if you're in a minority group but that in general people are less hardy, less resilient and much quicker to blame others for their ills.

The changers in what you can say are fascinating. Thing is every age has its rules. I don’t think we have any more rules than the Victorians did. It’s just that the rules have changed. You’re right, the world is kinder in many ways, As an aged Aunt of my Wife once remarked, the good old days weren’t quite so good.

For me though, I am becoming more cynical about certain sorts of commerce, beit built in redundancy of consumer goods to decent antique furniture being worth less than second hand ikea chipboard. The aura that used to be given to knowledgeable people is now less worthy than a media star. And as for “influencers” 🤣 wanting a free dinner to mention your restaurant on an Instagram page. 

Brian Glover on the other hand, was a joy to watch and listen to. The other thing is how language changes - Take Winnie the Pooh for example,  If you read the original now it would be indecipherable to the average youngster yet still seems poetic and so thoughtfully whimsical to me. That’s age and change I suppose. It will always be so I suppose. But while we gain new things, we lose others along the way.