Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

A solid if unspectacular half of football, it’s all a bit beige but I’m alright with that against a decent side. In the context of how the season has been so far it’s about right. We look like a team lacking conviction and belief at times, they look like a team who have been on a good run and have the confidence of that. 
We’re very much still in it, with options to come on in the second half. At this stage I’d take a point or a s**thoused win as something to build on with a good run of games coming up. 

HT fairly even game where we’ve probably had the better chances, but pompy maybe a bit more of the play.

That said don’t let anyone fool you into  thinking pompy are playing beautiful football, they are lumping it long whenever it suits them.

We've got a bit of a problem in cm, Fornah is on his last warning so has to be careful and Embleton looks off the pace. We’re going to need to do something about that area as it’s where pompy are strong 

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

HT fairly even game where we’ve probably had the better chances, but pompy maybe a bit more of the play.

That said don’t let anyone fool you into  thinking pompy are playing beautiful football, they are lumping it long whenever it suits them.

We've got a bit of a problem in cm, Fornah is on his last warning so has to be careful and Embleton looks off the pace. We’re going to need to do something about that area as it’s where pompy are strong 

They’ve at least tried a few little flicks and some passages of play. Our sole tactic is to play balls down the channel. It’s bloody awful

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

Fornah surely has to come off or he'll be sent off pretty quickly in the second half.

Which gives us a chance to change it up. Bring Sibley on and change it around (maybe 4 at the back, Nelson moving to right back and Smith as the lone defensive midfielder).

Warne will never understand something that complicated

8 minutes ago, Diego said:

Riveting stuff yet again. 

"Well, you see, riveting has certain advantges over other kinds of fasteners, no I won't consider welding, or screwed fastners, no, just going to rivet things...i mean, i could be wrong, but the squad know that they're going to be using rivets, I've got Jake and Birdy heating them up and Kane's putting some work in taking them around the yard. I know some people will say that without a rivet gun it's going to be limiting, but, i don't believe that......"

Mendez-Laing looking like a player whose been starting games at 2 in the morning and has jet lag. It was always evident that his choice to play international football for Guatemala was going to seriously impact a player who was struggling to play in this type of formation energy wise.  Our decision at that point should have been the call up is great mate but we have too make a choice as well, your on the list.

Had the usual 10 minutes, then the opposition worked out our prehistoric one dimensional kick into the corner footy as per and pressed up.

Smith is not keeping his eye on their winger at all.

Washington has terrible control.

Nelson pick off the bunch.

Fornah seems keen on a backwards pass.

Hourihane will be out for 4 weeks I'd expect .  Should have come straight off. 

Forsyth must score.

I'd love to see 4 or 5 passes without losing it .  It's really not the best.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fornah surely has to come off or he'll be sent off pretty quickly in the second half.

Which gives us a chance to change it up. Bring Sibley on and change it around (maybe 4 at the back, Nelson moving to right back and Smith as the lone defensive midfielder).

Fine with Sibley but I hope he doesn't do the other move. Nelson has been excellent at CB and this has been Smith's best game of the season so far, so if it ain't broke...

Fornah is lucky to still be on the pitch but hopefully he'll be on his best behaviour second half. We can do without adding a suspension to our current midfield woes!

2 minutes ago, BPV said:

They’ve at least tried a few little flicks and some passages of play. Our sole tactic is to play balls down the channel. It’s bloody awful

Yeah as I mentioned they’ve had a bit more of the play. But they don’t look anything special.

We started off well and we’re playing some decent stuff, but Pompey started to close us down and our players switched off and opted to go long far too often.

If the problem was solely tactical then we’d never have had that positive opening 15-20 mins.