Summer recruitment, and how will it end?

RoyMac5

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

People take the piss and used to moan like little bitches that he only had a job at the club cos he was nigels pro

but the fact of the matter is we havent recruited as well or as shrewdly since he was here 

Yes, there was the occasional dud but overall the recruitment durning Nigel’s reign was brilliant. Great value for what you got. Simon sure had and eye for a player. 

Always wished that they’d remained with Nigel as manager and Mac brought in as first team coach. I think that would have been a perfect combination. 

3 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Does nobody in the Championship or League 1 want to take him off our hands?

Asking the wrong person but can't imagine anyone in this league paying him what we are. 

3 hours ago, Warwick Ram said:

I didn’t hear anyone moaning when we signed the then Premier League player. Shouts of ‘we are going to win the league’ were heard.

I didn't see anyone moaning about the signings of Ward, Elder and Bradley but it doesn't mean they're good players on inspection, does it?

Hourihane is fine at this level but you can't ignore his age, mobility and how he fits with CM's currenlty at the football club (Bird, Thommo). I think it's a worthwhile point to consider, if he is our assumed highest paid player - could we have got in two younger, more effective CM's instead that offer us a it more in areas in which we're lacking. 

I appreciate it was bodies in over the long term plan last season but a year down the line I'm unsure whether our rushed business was great and is a major part of the pickle we find ourselves in. 

5 hours ago, trappatoni said:

Yes you could see us being another Portsmouth - everything that comes out of the club suggests there is a lack of talent behind the scenes .   

We have a CEO who has presided over failure, we recruit club coaches from ex players who live locally rather than looking far and wide for the best.  It's a continuation of the appoint Maclaren's son as head of recruitment school of running a business.

Our signings are players the manager knows from years back, we don't seem capable of uncovering a rough diamond from lower leagues or lads released from Premier League academies.   

The owner talks about his time supporting us in the 80s but you wonder if he realises the sport has moved on - there's nothing about his vision for the club.   Yes we want to be fiscally responsible but if we are to be a trading club we need to add value to players to sell on - what's the profit in any of our recent signings - yet we pocketed £1m for Plange after less than a season ?   

Listen to podcasts from staff at Brentford or Brighton and it's striking how innovative and forward thinking they are.   We seem to be stuck in the past - our plan for promotion was if we run them more in pre season we'll be fitter than the opposition - it's like sports science didn't exist.   

You make some valid points. Brighton and Brentford do seem to be doing ok. What is our vision for the future? 3 years in Tier 3 ?

I found his point in the interview about wanting to sign younger players to peak is what he wants and not really wanting 30 year olds was eye opening. It’s obvious we’ve gone down this route due to budgets. 

what has frustrated me is under clowes we were going to be a derby like we were when cloudy was manager a trading club but have got in players with absolutely no re sake value at all so next summer will be a similar spiral unless clowes concedes and opens up some money. No one is asking for million pound signings but players for couple hundred thousand who we can develop and sell on. You can already see how the season is going to go already with this team where already we are bolloxed after 60 minutes and will run out of steam by February and our midfield is over run. 

perfect example was lee bonis the one name linked who really excites me available for 300k minimal wages who was a good age and could have been sold on for profit and we sign Washington instead 

3 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Asking the wrong person but can't imagine anyone in this league paying him what we are. 

I didn't see anyone moaning about the signings of Ward, Elder and Bradley but it doesn't mean they're good players on inspection, does it?

Hourihane is fine at this level but you can't ignore his age, mobility and how he fits with CM's currenlty at the football club (Bird, Thommo). I think it's a worthwhile point to consider, if he is our assumed highest paid player - could we have got in two younger, more effective CM's instead that offer us a it more in areas in which we're lacking. 

I appreciate it was bodies in over the long term plan last season but a year down the line I'm unsure whether our rushed business was great and is a major part of the pickle we find ourselves in. 

I doubt Hourihane was a ‘body over off the line’ deal. It was an ‘OMG a player from a premier league club is remotely interested in coming to us and we are in League 1’ deal. It was too good to turn down.

We could afford it given our restrictions and we did. In an ideal world we would have smashed the league but he didn’t. He needed and still needs younger legs around him.

On 24/08/2023 at 11:00, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I've never thought this until the last few days - we're in danger of staying in this league for a good few years. Nothing is telling me any different. 

We're always plagued with long term injuries and on our budget, can't replace. We only replace the quantity not quality and when we fail to attract players, it makes it even harder.

We used to be able to dip into the academy and bring a player or two through. The academy has been torn to pieces and any player that does show promise, I feel our manager might not spend the time with them. 

I don't think league 2 will be anywhere near we end up but a stagnant league 1 club is a real possibility. 

I tend to agree and the decision makers at the club must also realise that a period of stagnation can happen if DCFC can't get promoted out of this dire league at the 1st or 2nd attempt. I actually thought the club would be laser focused on giving it a really good go this season. However the signings have been totally underwhelming. Fans look for any positives, so get excited at recruiting the likes of Waghorn.  Maybe Fornah will be a decent player with potential, we will see. All said and done his previous season was in a relegated team. We have to hope one or two of the new recruits can create some sort of spark. Otherwise we look decidedly mid table. 

On 24/08/2023 at 00:52, RoyMac5 said:

Not long until 1st September and what appeared to start out well has both stalled and plummeted. Who agrees with a couple of the tweets below. Will it all end in panic?

Not me

I honestly feel some people need to give their head a good wobble. I really think some people think recruiting new players is as easy as going down to Tesco and buying a loaf of bread. Maybe we should wait till September 1 before judging our summer recruitment too harshly. And even giving players a decent chance to show how good/bad they are before we call them a reincarnation of Bobby Malcolm/King Kevin Hector.

On 24/08/2023 at 09:54, Warwick Ram said:

A recruitment team can only recommend a player. At some point they have to talk to the manager. So either Warne puts people off or the deal we offer is rubbish.

If it was the deal then why have the recruitment team looked at that player. A decent recruitment team would surely establish if the player was available and if they were within our budget.

I'd think that came under the remit of Clowes and Stephen Pearce

On 24/08/2023 at 13:32, Mr Tibbs said:

Elder was a strange one.

Some people at the time pointed out we have bought an average paced LB when PW wanted to play with wing backs.

PW watched him play for 45 minutes pre-season and declared we needed a pacy LWB.

Why did we sign him?

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Elder was a strange one.

Some people at the time pointed out we have bought an average paced LB when PW wanted to play with wing backs.

PW watched him play for 45 minutes pre-season and declared we needed a pacy LWB.

Why did we sign him?

That must be the Plan B....pace....no pace.....pace.....no pace

See? We've got ALL the options.....

So far

Vickers - not seen enough to form a view 

Ward - looks like a keeper 

Elder - looks bang average 

Wilson - not over impressed

Nelson - solid and calm

Bradley - slow and past it 

Washington - not sure he will score too many 

Waghorn - looks a class above this league like McGoldrick