Where's this new midfielder?

oldtimeram

Yes he was.  I liked Dave a lot.  Des Anderson was a nice guy too, the few times I met him when he was running a pub......I think it was at Breedon on the Hill, but can't be sure.  My mind is fading a bit now 

Edited by oldtimeram
Typo

59 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remember coming across Tim Ward's son a couple of times (can't think why) and he was a good sort, and a Derby fan. Maybe even on here?

Andrew Ward wrote the Derby County Story with Anton Rippon, a biography of Tim Ward called Armed with a Football and several other books. Regrettably, you will not find him on here because he died last year after a long illness.

Just now, oldtimeram said:

Yes he was.  I liked Dave a lot.  Des Anderson was a nice guy too, the few times I met him when he was running a pub......I think it was at Breadon on the Hill, but can't be sure.  My mind is fading a bit now 

Dave was a great player and a very good manager .

Sacked too soon. 

Likes Des also .

I think Dave’s best playing days where at Spurs .

I made a tongue in cheek remark about him being sent off every week now and was just trying to say the game has changed so much with VAR etc 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That was the Bolton game where Bryson went off injured 20 minutes into the season, Hendrick was put on and they reshuffled the midfield.   I assume in that game you were still as a condescending a t*** however, no change in position. 

Thorne played the full 90 in that game so there was no need to reshuffle the midfield in the 10 minutes between Bryson coming off and Hughes also coming off.

The reshuffle came when Hughes came off for Shotton, who played RB and Baird went to DM.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

His short term approach to team selection and transfers. His tactics on the pitch which typically results in a less than entertaining performance on the pitch (more entertaining if you were a neutral watching our games), his lack in ability to spot what is the issue(s) on the pitch, his stubbornness to move away from what isn't working. The long term impact on our academy, stemming from his reluctance to trust and give opportunities to young players. The destruction of the togetherness and feel good factor around the club ever since his apppointment.

Yes yes yes, but apart from those things what has warne done wrong........😉

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He gave Thompson a start because he's openly stated he had no-one else to choose after than Smith and Hourihane. He was given just 194 minutes of league football last season, and has only ever played the full 90 twice under Warne (FA Cup games - the 5-0 win over Torquay and 1-0 defeat to Coventry).

Similar for Rooney. He's never been trusted to play the full 90 in back to back games, and has only been given the equivalent to 7.3 league games.

Warne has broken promises made to players regarding involvement in the first team.

What promises were made? I'm sure in the past he has said players need to be prepared to fight for their place as nothing is guaranteed. 

With Thompson and Rooney being so unproven, I can't see him guaranteeing them anything.

8 minutes ago, TF Ram said:

What promises were made? I'm sure in the past he has said players need to be prepared to fight for their place as nothing is guaranteed. 

I'm not divulging details, but I will point back to my post from last week

On 16/08/2023 at 22:28, Ghost of Clough said:

Just spoke to a friend of the girlfriend of one of the players. They tell a story if broken promises and bemusement of those promises not being met. Sounds like the dressing room (or at least some members of it) doesn't trust Warne anymore.

Without being too specific and singling the player out, it is game time and/or the position they're being played.

8 minutes ago, TF Ram said:

With Thompson and Rooney being so unproven, I can't see him guaranteeing them anything.

Thompson played 1611 minutes for us in the 21/22 season (equivalent to 17.9 games). He was a regular starter in our good run in the middle of that season. In our spell from 06/01/21 through to 08/02/22, he started 11 out of 14 games (full 90 in 6) yielding 6 wins and 4 draws

Friend of a girlfriend of a player who can't get in the team says negative stuff about the manager. 

Based on your previous comments about Thompson demanding a loan and the fact he's played LWB it's a fair bet it's him.

I remember thinking that season he was excellent and a real prospect. However last season (granted he didn't get the most opportunities) he didn't seem to replicate it when he did get minutes. Warne can only go off what he sees in training and matches and he obviously doesn't see it in him yet.

Edited by TF Ram
Added

5 minutes ago, TF Ram said:

Friend of a girlfriend of a player who can't get in the team says negative stuff about the manager. 

Based on your previous comments about Thompson demanding a loan and the fact he's played LWB it's a fair bet it's him.

I remember thinking that season he was excellent and a real prospect. However last season (granted he didn't get the most opportunities) he didn't seem to replicate it when he did get minutes. Warne can only go off what he sees in training and matches and he obviously doesn't see it in him yet.

I've been quite vocal about a number of players not getting the game time they require for their development, and others not playing in their best positions - Thompson, Rooney, DRobinson, Bird, Sibley, Ward, Mendez-Laing all fall under at least one of the two possible issues. You could argue Bradley, Cashin, Nelson, Smith and Hourihane have all been tasked with roles which they aren't suited to, and were Washington and Waghorn signed with a view to playing as wide forwards, 9s or 10s?

One of the new signings who has played in all 4 league games moved in to a house up the road from members of my family if it makes any difference.

I'm not sure how you can expect to get any consistency from players when they don't get more than 10 minutes in consecutive games at any point during the season. The closest he got to it was 76 minutes on matchday 19, followed by 26 minutes on matchday 25, and 16 minutes on matchday 20.
The final nail in the coffin for Thompson was when Bird got injured. We were playing a 4231 with Bird-Hourihane-Knight in the middle, only to drop that system to play 442 with Collins coming in for Bird, then Collins was dropped after a few games of it not working to bring in White.
Smith and Knight continuously chosen over Rooney at RB last season too.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I've been quite vocal about a number of players not getting the game time they require for their development, and others not playing in their best positions - Thompson, Rooney, DRobinson, Bird, Sibley, Ward, Mendez-Laing all fall under at least one of the two possible issues. You could argue Bradley, Cashin, Nelson, Smith and Hourihane have all been tasked with roles which they aren't suited to, and were Washington and Waghorn signed with a view to playing as wide forwards, 9s or 10s?

One of the new signings who has played in all 4 league games moved in to a house up the road from members of my family if it makes any difference.

I'm not sure how you can expect to get any consistency from players when they don't get more than 10 minutes in consecutive games at any point during the season. The closest he got to it was 76 minutes on matchday 19, followed by 26 minutes on matchday 25, and 16 minutes on matchday 20.
The final nail in the coffin for Thompson was when Bird got injured. We were playing a 4231 with Bird-Hourihane-Knight in the middle, only to drop that system to play 442 with Collins coming in for Bird, then Collins was dropped after a few games of it not working to bring in White.
Smith and Knight continuously chosen over Rooney at RB last season too.

I think we’ve seen plenty of evidence since Warne arrived here that if in doubt, he goes with experience (read: old). Was just grateful he finally picked Rooney and Thompson last week.

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Dave was a great player and a very good manager .

Sacked too soon. 

Likes Des also .

I think Dave’s best playing days where at Spurs .

I made a tongue in cheek remark about him being sent off every week now and was just trying to say the game has changed so much with VAR etc 

Changed, not for the better in my opinion..

We could do with another Dave Mackay now.  He would galvanize the team and instill some self believe in the players.

On 22/08/2023 at 23:51, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

I'll be honest I don't recollect any manager since BD rambling on about signings (lack of).

It's fairly obvious that PW doesn't have the pulling power of a Rooney or Rosenior.

I tend to agree. However when a club owner is considering an appointment, one would think that the candidates ability to attract talent would be up there with experience, previous achievements, technical (tactical) knowledge, man management skills etc. Mr Clowes must have had some level of confidence in PW's ability to build a squad.