Where's this new midfielder?

oldtimeram

Just now, Henrycav81 said:

Brailsfordram had already said Durban, Webster, Daniel & Boulton were already at the club he’d just forgotten Hector I’m sure it was only an oversight 

Well he’d only just arrived hadn’t he from Bradford Park Avenue a month or so earlier 

15 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Oh my goodness another monologue.

I said I wasn’t equating BC with PW.  

Different eras .

Clough wouldn’t have got away with watering pitches to a quagmire nowadays.

Dave Mackay would have been sent off every week .

Referees didn’t book played for looking at them the wrong way. 
You cannot be serious as McEnroe would say .

Paint that dam penalty spot 

But you introduced the comparison of Clough and Warne in different eras. The role of a football manager today still remains the same - get your team up the League as soon as you can and I can't remember that t*** McEnroe ever being involved in football! BTW, Dave Mackay never got sent off in his life. He was just hard, not dirty and thank God, Warne's team don't have to play on the BBG pitch!

Edited by Brailsford Ram

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Good manager was Tim Ward. One of the best 

The most decent of blokes who never won anything as a manager except one promotion with Grimsby to the Second Division from the third.

1 minute ago, Brailsford Ram said:

But you introduced the comparison of Clough and Warne in different eras. The role of a football manager today still remains the same - get your team up the League as soon as you can and I can't remember that t*** McEnroe ever being involved in football! BTW, Dave Mackay never got sent off in his life. He was just hard, not dirty and thank God, Warne's team don't have to play on the BBG pitch!

Looking forward to Warne getting us up the League.  Additions to squad would help.  
Dave Mackay did once tell me I didn’t know what I was talking about lol 😂 in his Scottish dialect 

17 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Well he’d only just arrived hadn’t he from Bradford Park Avenue a month or so earlier 

A year earlier almost, September 1966.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

That's literally the entire point though.  Roberts spent the majority of the season playing as a regular fullback, or on the left of a back 3.  He did a decent job there.  He's a solid defender and comfortable passing the ball.  When he played as a wingback, I pointed out several times on here that he's not good enough going forwards to do that job.  He's not a dribbler or a crosser.  You need your wingbacks to be getting forwards, and getting good balls into the box, otherwise the entire system doesn't work.

Elder was in the team of the season playing as a regular fullback, not a flying wingback.  Bradley was excellent for Luton playing in a more structured defence, not the spread out back 3 we were trying to play in the first few games.  Ward did well for Peterborough playing as a winger, not a wingback.  And so on and so on. 

We were clearly wanting to play a back 3 since Warne got here (I presume we can at least agree on that?).  But we've gone and recruited a bunch of players that don't seem to be able to do it.  The players don't have to be world beaters, but if you put them in a team and ask them to do stuff they're not good at, they're going to struggle.  If we were supposed to be giving Warne a free pass for last season because he didn't have his own players in, then trying to argue that the player's we've signed to replace them have the exact same weaknesses isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of anything.

Don't really disagree with any of that, I wouldn't give Warne a pass for last season, the drop off in form and missing out on playoffs was a failure as far as I'm concerned.

But I do think some people are slating the players and jumping to conclusions about what they are and aren't capable of just so that they can pick holes in Warnes recruitment.  It may well turn out to be poor.  I just think it's too early to judge at this stage.  

We don't need to be amazing to be successful in this league. I don't think we ever will be with Warne as manager.  I do think we could easily be more effective though, enough to get promoted and for now at least I'm still clinging to that hope.

3 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Don't really disagree with any of that, I wouldn't give Warne a pass for last season, the drop off in form and missing out on playoffs was a failure as far as I'm concerned.

But I do think some people are slating the players and jumping to conclusions about what they are and aren't capable of just so that they can pick holes in Warnes recruitment.  It may well turn out to be poor.  I just think it's too early to judge at this stage.  

We don't need to be amazing to be successful in this league. I don't think we ever will be with Warne as manager.  I do think we could easily be more effective though, enough to get promoted and for now at least I'm still clinging to that hope.

I think Bradley is a solid signing. 
I am no way giving up on him or Nelson 

16 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

My biggest personal issue with Warne as a manager is his seeming inability (or unwillingness) to really understand or care what players are good and bad at.  I think that's why we keep getting players played out of position, players doing jobs they can't really do, players not getting the service or support they need and so on.  He appears to treat every midfielder as a box-to-box midfielder, every wide player as a wingback and so on.  To me, it's at the root of all the issues we've had on the pitch since he's been the manager.

So I'm more than prepared to admit that that's probably colouring my opinions of the signings somewhat.  But when the manager basically comes out and says (or at least indicates by his actions) that he really wants to play wingbacks, and we go and sign a fullback that's (as far as I can see) never played wingback in his career, and he immediately starts struggling to play wingback, it's hard to not jump to conclusions.

20 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

My biggest personal issue with Warne as a manager is his seeming inability (or unwillingness) to really understand or care what players are good and bad at.  I think that's why we keep getting players played out of position, players doing jobs they can't really do, players not getting the service or support they need and so on.  He appears to treat every midfielder as a box-to-box midfielder, every wide player as a wingback and so on.  To me, it's at the root of all the issues we've had on the pitch since he's been the manager.

So I'm more than prepared to admit that that's probably colouring my opinions of the signings somewhat.  But when the manager basically comes out and says (or at least indicates by his actions) that he really wants to play wingbacks, and we go and sign a fullback that's (as far as I can see) never played wingback in his career, and he immediately starts struggling to play wingback, it's hard to not jump to conclusions.

Playing out of position can also increase injury risk  .  Hughes was a perfect example .  9 stone wet through and asked to do defensive duties.  Every strong tackle was a knee injury waiting to happen.

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Playing out of position can also increase injury risk  .  Hughes was a perfect example .  9 stone wet through and asked to do defensive duties.  Every strong tackle was a knee injury waiting to happen.

Is that in reference to the groin injury he picked up in 12/13 when playing at LM in a 442 (which he played for most of the season), or the ACL which kept him out of most of 15/16 when playing in his favoured RCM role in a 433?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Is that in reference to the groin injury he picked up in 12/13 when playing at LM in a 442 (which he played for most of the season), or the ACL which kept him out of most of 15/16 when playing in his favoured RCM role in a 433?

That was the Bolton game where Bryson went off injured 20 minutes into the season, Hendrick was put on and they reshuffled the midfield.   I assume in that game you were still as a condescending a t*** however, no change in position. 

3 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

The most decent of blokes who never won anything as a manager except one promotion with Grimsby to the Second Division from the third.

I remember coming across Tim Ward's son a couple of times (can't think why) and he was a good sort, and a Derby fan. Maybe even on here?

4 hours ago, Curtains said:

Looking forward to Warne getting us up the League.  Additions to squad would help.  
Dave Mackay did once tell me I didn’t know what I was talking about lol 😂 in his Scottish dialect 

Dave was known as the Laird.  Nice chap.  I've still got a few of his ties.

Dave and I were on News at Ten dancing on a table at Baileys nightclub, the night we were confirmed as champions in 1975.  We both had a bottle of Champagne in our hands lol.  No recording equipment in those days so I never actually got to see it.

1 minute ago, oldtimeram said:

Dave was known as the Laird.  Nice chap.  I've still got a few of his ties.

Dave and I were on News at Ten dancing on a table at Baileys nightclub, the night we were confirmed as champions in 1975.  We both had a bottle of Champagne in our hands lol.  No recording equipment in those days so I never actually got to see it.

Dave Mackay was a true gentleman.