Eiran Cashin

Heisenberg

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Ideal is we get a deal of around £2.5m with at least £2m guaranteed and a loan back until summer. I think numbers like £5m are fanciful in this division with a contract almost up. 

In the summer I wasn’t too bothered whether he left, thinking we could spend the money wisely.

However, much of our success has been due to his partnership with Nelson. I fear Cashin’s departure might cause upheaval. We can’t pair Nelson with Bradley. They take up the same areas and are both slow over short distances whereas Cashin is great at blocking shots.

5 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

If we don’t sell in Jan what sort of compensation can we expect in the summer? I wouldn’t sell as his partnership with Nelson is one of the main reasons for this great run. If we get promoted I would hope he would sign a new contract

We have a year option on Cashin anyway, so we would trigger it before selling in the summer. 

Can someone in the know make the position clear please. My understanding is we have a 1 year option on Cash running to the end of next season. He is not free to walk away at the end of this season hence the talk of a sizeable fee not just compensation.

Is this correct?

Thanks in anticipation!

2 hours ago, Norwichram2 said:

Can someone in the know make the position clear please. My understanding is we have a 1 year option on Cash running to the end of next season. He is not free to walk away at the end of this season hence the talk of a sizeable fee not just compensation.

Is this correct?

Thanks in anticipation!

Yes that is what has been reported by Radio Derby.

Extend his one year deal which appears to be in OUR control - he will be worth £3m in the summer if we are in League One still.

He will be worth £4m if we are in the Championship.

I see zero point in letting him go in January, absolutely zero point.

Someone tell me why we should? 

The only way I can think we have not activated it yet is because we are discussing longer terms with him. He could be countering this with a get out clause and more money etc

Edited by rammieib

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Extend his one year deal which appears to be in OUR control - he will be worth £3m in the summer if we are in League One still.

The only way I can think we have not activated it yet is because we are discussing longer terms with him. He could be countering this with a get out clause and more money etc

I guess cashin wanting to leave is a reason we would consider it? Really isn’t playing that way though, has been excellent the last few weeks. Yesterday especially. 

Hope we are offering him something longer term, hopefully us being in the championship next season could match his ambition. 

28 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I see where you are coming from.  If I were David Clowes I might take a slightly different tact. 

If we were not in a high play off spot we would probably be willing to sell him now - we would activate and paradoxically sell.  The issue we have is we would want him to think the end of the season is not too far away, so why not give DCFC the time.  If he has a longer contract, it might feel the carrot is being dangled which removes his incentive to stay.  

The fact the option has not been activated yet signifies to me that some horse-trading is ongoing.  Stay until the end of the season with us and give your all, but we will not stand in your way if you want to leave in June (or, happily, sign a new better contract with us if you get us promoted.)

48 minutes ago, Carnero said:

We don't know that the option has not already been activated.

It's the same situation as we had with Jason Knight last season and there was no announcement that his option had been activated until the retained list was announced in the summer.

I'd imagine if the option exists, it's been activated. Brighton can't agree a pre-contract deal with Cashin until 1st June, but foreign clubs can. That would include Scottish clubs, so if Brighton are interested I'd imagine clubs like Celtic could be too. We'd still be entitled to compo, but it's out of our hands then.

For Cashin, the only way he really "loses" in this situation is if he picked up a big injury. If we miss out on promotion, I'm sure he will still have options in the summer. If we go up, his reputation and stock increases, and will be playing Championship football regardless of if he moves or not.

He's incredibly important, so if he's gone in January then it would be a massive knock to our prospects. I'd like to think Cashin goes in to February a Derby player, even if that is on a loan deal.

8 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Anyone know the rule that if we have NOT yet activated his extension, can he sign elsewhere on a pre-contract on the 1st Jan?

Surely therefore we must have protected our assets and therefore already triggered the extension?

He can sign a pre-contract in Jan with clubs outside of the English football pyramid (clubs in Scotland, Europe etc.) if his contract is due to expire at the end of the season.

For clubs in the English leagues they cannot pre-agree deals with other England based players on expiring contracts until the May or June (think it’s something like the 3rd week in May) before the contract ends (typically June 30th). 

I’m not sure how the contract clause affects either of those scenarios, whether it has to be activated by a certain time or something 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

56 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Anyone know the rule that if we have NOT yet activated his extension, can he sign elsewhere on a pre-contract on the 1st Jan?

Surely therefore we must have protected our assets and therefore already triggered the extension?

As @Carnero clearly put it: we don't know whether he has or not.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He can sign a pre-contract in Jan with clubs outside of the English football pyramid (clubs in Scotland, Europe etc.) if his contract is due to expire at the end of the season.

For clubs in the English leagues they cannot pre-agree deals with other England based players on expiring contracts until the May or June (think it’s something like the 3rd week in May) before the contract ends (typically June 30th). 

I’m not sure how the contract clause affects either of those scenarios, whether it has to be activated by a certain time or something 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

So he could possibly sign a pre-contract with Belgian side Union Saint-Gilloise, who are owned by Brighton owners…. Unless that has changed.

I believe the club must activate contract option within 6 months of a contract running out, or said player can then sign pre contract terms elsewhere.

I'd assume the club must do it by Jan 30th if that's the case, if his contract runs out end of June.  If someone offers  4 million quid like they did in September however, I'd expect Derby to have his taxi booked.