Eiran Cashin

Heisenberg

1 hour ago, WystonRam said:

Listened to an interview with their Chief Exec on Saturday. He said they look to buy young players ahead of when they need them (planning ahead) and then develop to sell at profit. Interestingly he made no mention of developing any home grown talent. But equally contradicted himself with the statement about buying ahead before they need the players, but they try to sell them anyway.

I didn't hear the interview but I presume he meant those are the only two options so it's a win-win: develop them in the hope rather than expectation that they will be good enough to play for B&HA (or even excel to the point that they bring in a massive fee, as I wonder if we'll see with Mitoma soon enough) but all the time knowing that if they don't quite make that level, they're highly unlikely to depreciate in value. In the meantime the right loans serve to develop the player and bring in a fee. It's an entirely sensible business model.

On 22/08/2023 at 18:06, Anag Ram said:

Cashin could be converted into a defensive midfielder where his tackling could be utilised and his lack of pace not exposed. 

He’s not bad in the air so would also help shield the back two.

I think that’s how we could use him too when Warne wants more protection. Would allow us to play more progressive midfielders.

I think that's the wrong way around. I always thought Tomori could become one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, with his lightning pace to snuff out threats and intercept the ball across the back line, combined with his ball-playing ability. Whereas for Cashin it would mean the game passing him by. Better for Cash to be in the back line with more time to anticipate the play.

5 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

Personally I think Brighton are an excellent example of how to recruit and run a football club, obviously I have no idea of wages but they get youngsters with potential in and develop/loan them out either for their first team or for a profit. Read articles with their scouts about the recruitment of Ferguson and Moran, two Irish youngsters and their recruitment and development, they also have a plan for development which involves loaning out as part of a players development, not to mention at first team level they sell high and have succession planning for every role at the club in place.

I read a report linking Arsenal with that Ferguson for £100m. Absolutely insane money but that's the going rate for a high potential youngster from Brighton these days. It's a brilliant business model.

I think back to the playoff semifinal away at Brighton. We knew that we were light years ahead of them. Yes they had a nice new ground with comfy seats and guest ales, and yes they scored first, but we never doubted we would overcome them. We did and then some. If you'd told me then what our relative positions would be now, I'd have thought you'd lost your mind.

Brighton are one of several very well run clubs with great planning and business models who have risen up the leagues and are now established in the Prem. Of course they had some luck when it was needed, something we have fallen down on. But sometimes you make your own luck. If you're Eirin Cashin and you have the chance to go, and to try to prove yourself in the top flight, and an opportunity for the riches a club such as Brighton can now offer, you jump at it in an instant. You'd be mad not to. For our sake, I love watching Eirin for us and hope he stays and we can rise up through the leagues together. The way he plays all over the pitch even reminds me of McFarland, sometimes on the left wing! I'm not suggesting for even a nanosecond he's at that level, but equally I scoff at anyone who believes he's already reached his ceiling. What madness is that?

18 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

Brighton seem to be the Mike Ashley’s of the transfer game; just looking for value, nothing else. Mind you, it’s only what Chelsea used to do - they must have made a pretty penny out of Patrick Bamford without ever playing him. 

Can't say I agree with this in any way. "Nothing Else"? This would suggest they aren't looking for quality, ability, improvement, progress etc.

Have you not paid attention to their league positions over last few years? Certainly not the trajectory of a club only looking for value!

On 21/08/2023 at 16:25, Jram said:

I’m surprised by people slagging off Cashin’s football ability. I actually thinks he’s technically excellent. Decent with both feet, very accurate passing into midfield and regularly pulls of long range passes

His touch is good, he rarely looks rushed. I really don’t see where that comes from. 

definitely, he has silky skills.   the (only!) issues are his lack of pace and height. He looked so good when he first hit the scene esp playing outside fozzy in a back 4. I don‘t think PW’s set up suits him

11 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

definitely, he has silky skills.   the (only!) issues are his lack of pace and height. He looked so good when he first hit the scene esp playing outside fozzy in a back 4. I don‘t think PW’s set up suits him

His height doesn’t really affect him tbf. Wins every header

hes not quick, granted, but nor is Thiago Silva and he hasn’t had a bad career 

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think back to the playoff semifinal away at Brighton. We knew that we were light years ahead of them. Yes they had a nice new ground with comfy seats and guest ales, and yes they scored first, but we never doubted we would overcome them. We did and then some. If you'd told me then what our relative positions would be now, I'd have thought you'd lost your mind.

Brighton are one of several very well run clubs with great planning and business models who have risen up the leagues and are now established in the Prem. Of course they had some luck when it was needed, something we have fallen down on. But sometimes you make your own luck. If you're Eirin Cashin and you have the chance to go, and to try to prove yourself in the top flight, and an opportunity for the riches a club such as Brighton can now offer, you jump at it in an instant. You'd be mad not to. For our sake, I love watching Eirin for us and hope he stays and we can rise up through the leagues together. The way he plays all over the pitch even reminds me of McFarland, sometimes on the left wing! I'm not suggesting for even a nanosecond he's at that level, but equally I scoff at anyone who believes he's already reached his ceiling. What madness is that?

I agree, I was listening to Ed Dawes the other day and he thought he already hit his ceiling. Madness he's only 21. Some centre backs don't reach their peaks until their mid to late twenties.

The Brighton example simply serves to further highlight the gross on- and off-field mismanagement Derby have suffered over the past decade.  So disappointing and dispiriting.  But we live in hope.

We have stalled again, not surprising after the near death experience last summer, and this is going to take years to sort (sadly I fear the current manager and owner are only placeholders - with greater vision, leadership, talent and funds needed) and in the meantime we can but only watch the likes of Brentford, Bournemouth and Brighton with awe, wonder, jealousy and envy.