So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

8 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

If we want promotion, Steve McClaren is the best bet.

IMO, McClaren is a brilliant short term manager. He comes in and makes the players believe. He takes away the fear and pushes morale through the roof. He also helps a lot with skill based coaching, which does improve certain players quickly.

I think we'd go up in the top two with McClaren back.

The problem is that McClaren is poor in the medium term. He's tactically one dimensional - other coaches quickly work out how to counter his system. His recruitment decisions are generally below standard and he has no interest in the academy. He is also pretty lax on discipline so dressing room problems eventually take root.

Once the feelgood factor has worn off, there's not much left. To me, McClaren only works in very specific circumstances...it's just that we're exactly at the place now, where we need a bit of brolly magic.

Cant wait to see mac working with collins as his focal point 😂😂🤣

control james … u must learn control. 

5 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Close the thread, Warne isn’t going anywhere soon apparently

That may be Paul Warne's or David Clowes's current view, but football doesn't work like that, - at least not at Derby County

The only way that Warne will stay is if results in the next 20 or so games improve significantly - especially the home form. If were look like we're heading for a promotion challenge, the majority of fans will calm down and this will be like Fergie being one game away from the sack.

However, if things don't improve very quickly, Warne will be gone shortly. He's lost a significant portion of the fans and the rest are only a couple of defeats from turning on him. Derby County is it's fanbase - other clubs might be 95% dependent on their owner, but not us. We couldn't function with 5k league gates and a boycott of the concourse food. No manager can survive here without the support of the fanbase.

Football club ownership and management must both be to some extent driven by ego. Neither Clowes nor Warne would enjoy protests. They would both be looking for a way out and when fans, owner and manager all want Warne out, it's only meeting away from happening.

On 01/10/2023 at 11:06, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think we could afford any current Championship or League 1 manager.

• Lee Carsley (England U21) would probably be holding out for the main England job at this point. Even if he isn't chosen for that job, I doubt he would drop down to L1 level.
  • Luke Williams (Notts County) for the long term project. Someone I could see taking us all the way to the PL.
  • Gary Bowyer (unemployed, previously at Dundee) to build solid foundations and rebuild the link between the first team and academy
  • Paul Cook (Chesterfield). A difference in opinion led to him being sacked at Ipswich, but he's done well everywhere else.
  • Aaron Danks (Middlesbrough assistant manager) has been assistant for Kompany at Anderlecht, Dean Smith at Villa and now Carrick at Boro. Has also been involved with the England setup, having assisted Paul Simpson as they won the U20 World Cup in 2020, and then the  U21s in 20/21. The riskiest option I've listed, but has a good contact list and I think is worth taking a risk on. Another I could see growing with the club as taking us to the PL.

Nudge.

I suppose Eustace and Rowett could be added to the list, but I'm unsure what style of play we'd see under ome of them, whislt the other I know what we'd get, still get the results needed, but ultimately still be looking for a better manager.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

That may be Paul Warne's or David Clowes's current view, but football doesn't work like that, - at least not at Derby County

The only way that Warne will stay is if results in the next 20 or so games improve significantly - especially the home form. If were look like we're heading for a promotion challenge, the majority of fans will calm down and this will be like Fergie being one game away from the sack.

However, if things don't improve very quickly, Warne will be gone shortly. He's lost a significant portion of the fans and the rest are only a couple of defeats from turning on him. Derby County is it's fanbase - other clubs might be 95% dependent on their owner, but not us. We couldn't function with 5k league gates and a boycott of the concourse food. No manager can survive here without the support of the fanbase.

Football club ownership and management must both be to some extent driven by ego. Neither Clowes nor Warne would enjoy protests. They would both be looking for a way out and when fans, owner and manager all want Warne out, it's only meeting away from happening.

There's some sense in this post. I would have classified myself as in the Warne happy clapper brigade but even I'm beginning to waver. I've been expecting an improvement but I'm not seeing it. The way we have been playing is not how I expected a Warne side to perform. I did not go to Shrewsbury but it's how I've been feeling over the last several matches.

I thought we had turned a corner in the Blackpool game (I was there for that one) but it's beginning to look like a false dawn. Injuries have not helped but our midfield is all wrong. There is simply not enough energy there. It just does not work with three of Bird, Fornah, Hourihane and Smith playing.

If I had to vote for a replacement for Warne then it would be given to Eustace. All the other names mentioned such as Warnock and Rowett leave me cold.

Tuesday is looking very important at the moment.

8 hours ago, Yoxoram said:

If Rooney came back I think I would shread my season ticket but I have a sneaking suspicion that you are not being serious.

Of course he’s not coming back but why do you hate Rooney with such vengeance that you’d shred your season ticket? I wouldn’t be overjoyed but not downhearted enough for such drastic action. Come to think of it, I can think of many other managers I like much less but if any of them were appointed I’d grudgingly get behind them, continue to support the team and hope it worked out well. A classic example is Warnock - a name a few have banded around on this forum. I really don’t like the guy but if he ever did become a Derby manager it wouldn’t stop me attending games and he’d be my next hero if he got us to where we want to be.

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Of course he’s not coming back but why do you hate Rooney with such vengeance that you’d shred your season ticket? I wouldn’t be overjoyed but not downhearted enough for such drastic action. Come to think of it, I can think of many other managers I like much less but if any of them were appointed I’d grudgingly get behind them, continue to support the team and hope it worked out well. A classic example is Warnock - a name a few have banded around on this forum. I really don’t like the guy but if he ever did become a Derby manager it wouldn’t stop me attending games and he’d be my next hero if he got us to where we want to be.

Of course I wouldn't shred my season ticket. I have supported Derby through thick and thin for over 50 years and will continue to do so. My words were just to convey how strongly I feel about not wanting Rooney back. I agree that he won't be coming back. As for Warnock, that thought will give me nightmares.

Not that I’m telling people what to do/think, but surely you do need to consider the basis as to why the different manager being proposed will get something better out of the same players.

I mean. Let’s pick Rowett for example. Many disliked his football and he had some pretty decent players compared to now. What is swapping to him going to result in different outcomes. Just “not being PW” is not a basis for such a choice.

3 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Not that I’m telling people what to do/think, but surely you do need to consider the basis as to why the different manager being proposed will get something better out of the same players.

I mean. Let’s pick Rowett for example. Many disliked his football and he had some pretty decent players compared to now. What is swapping to him going to result in different outcomes. Just “not being PW” is not a basis for such a choice.

I’d be done with this club if we had Rowett back. My dad is a Millwall supporter and when he was appointed there  I told him that Rowett would play awful percentage football, he wouldn’t get you relegated but he wouldn’t get you promoted, and you’ll end up hating him. 

Turns out I was right! 

Edited by Jayram