Current squad v last year's opening day squad

sage

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Possibly the more interesting question, is how many of the new signings get into our current best XI.  You can put together a pretty decent team that has none of them in:

Wildsmith

Smith Rooney Cashin Forsyth

Bird Hourihane

NML Sibley Barkhuizen

Collins

But, but that can't possibly work, thank goodness we accidently signed Waggy, he can replace Collins! 😄

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

But, but that can't possibly work, thank goodness we accidently signed Waggy, he can replace Collins! 😄

Waghorn is probably more suited to playing up front in the team I listed than Collins is tbh. At least he can hold it up a bit and link the play a bit. And that team probably isn't going to be peppering the box with crosses for Collins to thrive off either.

More concerning would going into the rest of the season with Smith as our starting right back again.  I'm not remotely sure Ward and Wilson are good enough defensively to play wingback, let alone fullback.

I personally think Ward is better than every player who left, except the obvious one, McGold.

The rest, it is early days for some, but Bradley and Nelson, our first choice defenders, wouldn't be fit to lace Curtis Davies boots.  I would have Richard Stearman over both of them also, I honestly would.

Wilson looks a decent signing and Waghorn is Waghorn, very good on his day, unfortunately his day tends to be Feb 29th.

Absolute priority should have been a McGold replacement.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I personally think Ward is better than every player who left, 

Wilson looks a decent signing

I'm far from convinced with either.  Ward looks like he's a good crosser when he's got a bit of time and space to put one in, but he seems to struggle to actually create that space for himself.  He doesn't have that burst of pace or bit of trickery to get clear of a fullback, so ends up hitting the first man more often than not.  I don't think playing at wingback is helping that either, as he's quite often getting doubled-up on by the opposing winger and fullback.  An overlapping fullback to draw a defender away would help a lot there.

Wilson just looks poor to me.  No doubt he can beat a man, but he's managed to put in 1 decent cross or final ball (second half against Oxford) in 5 home games (including the 2 friendlies).  Obviously he hasn't played much in some of those, but he's rivalling Dobbin for lack of end product so far.  And defensively he looks an absolute liability.

15 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Waghorn is probably more suited to playing up front in the team I listed than Collins is tbh. At least he can hold it up a bit and link the play a bit. And that team probably isn't going to be peppering the box with crosses for Collins to thrive off either.

More concerning would going into the rest of the season with Smith as our starting right back again.  I'm not remotely sure Ward and Wilson are good enough defensively to play wingback, let alone fullback.

To think, last season we thought really we only needed a right back and we'd get by.

So last seasons players plus accidental signing Waggy 😄

Wildsmith

Rooney Cashin Forsyth Sibley

Smith

Bird Hourihane

NML Waghorn Barkhuizen

GK    Wildsmith, Ananga and Loach                           v                     Wildsmith, Vickers and Loach

CB     Davies, Stearman, Cashin, Fozzy, Rooney      v        Bradley, Nelson, Cashin, Fozzy, Rooney

FB/WB                        Knight, Roberts, Chester       v      Ward, Wilson, Elder

CM          Bird Hourihane Smith Thompson                v     Bird Hourihane Smith Thompson

WM/WF/AM      Sibley Barkhuizen NML Dobbin        v     Sibley Barkhuizen NML

CF                  Collins McGoldrick Osula                    v        Collins  Waghorn Washington

This season we have zero pace anywhere in the team ( mendiz not being allowed to play out wide) 

this season we have changed the defence to 3 centre backs who can’t defend or pass the football to a team mate and we have sold two good full internationals and look like selling two decent experienced youngsters 

this season we look completely clueless on the pitch but then again we have signed players who might have been promoted a few times but they definitely have been relegated plenty of times as well

On 16/08/2023 at 01:22, sage said:

Which one was the best?

Minus

McGoldrick, Knight, Chester, Strearman, Davies, Dobbin, Osula, Anang, Roberts

Add

Ward Wilson Bradley Waghorn Washington Vickers Nelson Elder 

The only players missing from last season I would want back are McGoldrick Knight and Roberts . Likewise the best of the newcomers are Ward& Nelson .