v Oxford United (H) Match Thread

Kernow

19 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

We should find out in the next 5 minutes who’s had their heads turned

Hope it’s Paul

Cash.

When Harris tried to pull his head off towards the end of the first-half and got away with it!

Another performance and result that is impossible to defend.

Warne can have success here but he has to help himself and make the job less difficult than it needs to be. He has tried three at the back in three separate spells and each time it has been clear that it is not the optimal set up for the players available.

I really hope he assesses the opening games and understands that being intent on imposing a style of play and a system will only hamper his chances of being successful here.

Three at the back can work. Plymouth, Ipswich, Wednesday all succeeded with it last season. However they also had the freedom and flexibility in the transfer market to make it work and bring in the right profile of player to tweak it and evolve it - players with a mix of presence, pace, power and dynamism - and over time achieve the right balance.

This is a luxury we simply don’t have. We are still under restrictions and still under a business plan, so sadly our transfer business at this point looks painfully inadequate and incomplete.

If our budget is limited and our squad is small and there is little to no scope to improve it, Warne has to be wise to that and make the necessary changes and get the players in a system that might not be perfect but is at least workable.

Persisting with the current set up will only see support desert him from all directions.

Edited by Jourdan

A seriously concerning performance, given its another home defeat in our second consecutive season in the third division. Fans of other decent sized clubs who have ended up down here did warn us that the second season after all of the league one tour 'banter, wears off that  it quickly turns into utter drudgery. There was an air of desperation in that performance that was reminiscent of the Phil Brown era. 

Edited by Orphanram

Ouch, that was a poor performance. Oxford played us off the pitch a few times with very limited players. Our signings look poor so far. Elder runs out of the pitch a lot, Nelson seems to pass it straight to our opponents often and Bradley can't really move can he? I think the first action is to accept that this summers recruiting failed and a new formation to stop the bleeding is our only option. Then comes our urgent need to recruit and I honestly think our main issue is central midfield. We need a fighter and runner to do the dirty work. We are way to weak as a team right now. 

A good manager can see and accept when something won't work and implement changes accordingly. I think/hope Warne will do so.

As for the ref he was also limited but that worked in our favor as well a few times. Bradley should probably given them a penalty and Collins (elbow) and Cashin (2 yellow) should probably been sent off so we can't blame the ref to much.

It's not an easy ride supporting the Rams but it won't be this bad forever (I hope). 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Positives:

Wilson, Thompson, Washington (in that order)

Negatives:

Bradley is god awful. I have no words for how bad he actually he is. He’s so tentative, like he’s scared of the damn headers  

Pace. We have less than none.

Hourihane anonymous other than dead balls. Korey Smith tragic. Collins in their number 5’s pocket.

Ward injured. Looks like Bird injured too right at the end.

There’s no fixing it without multiple signings or playing younger players. Play Rooney, play Robinson, get Dajaune Brown involved. Start Thompson. Drop Collins  

Truly horrendous.

Wilson I like, but has little end product atm. Tommo was just energetic and his passing was poor. Washington should start instead of Collins without a doubt. 

Edited by RoyMac5

12 minutes ago, REDCAR said:

Things are looking up, I lasted 75 mins tonight…. against Blackpool I was gone before HT… yeah I know the club doesn’t need “fans” like me but I’d rather be sat at home with my Y fronts on, half a pint of Skol watching Porky’s II.

Mmmmm.....

Porky's II....

"So sayeth the shepherd"

"So sayeth the flock"....

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wilson I like, but has little end product atm. Tommo was just energetic and his passing was poor. Washington should start instead of Collins without a doubt. 

No end product because he goes down blind alleys. Yes he needs to learn but there’s also very rarely any options given inside. 

Energy is what we need though. He brings something we desperately want in the middle.