Is Warne living on borrowed time?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

It seemed from the RD interview, listened to by the OH, that the players are confused by what the staff are asking of them? I can't bring myself to listen to so much waffle atm - one of Warne's problems is not his honesty but his inability to keep his mouth shut! Being honest doesn't mean saying everything!

Roy, at the weekend when I expressed my opinion that in his dealings with the media there were times when Warne should learn to wind his neck in, you gave me a playful slap and told me to stop listening then. Now you appear to be singing off my hymn sheet unless I'm reading you wrong 😉.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You've not heard of Operation Big club like Derby with a 4 year project waiting to get out of League One?

Not your fault, I told them it was a rubbish name.

That's right mate... never heard it... and yes, It's not the catchiest of mottos, is it!

I did, however, hear of "Operation Big Club like Derby with a 4 year project to become an established Championship club".

Now that one rolls off the tongue beautifully, if I'm honest.  In fact, we should try and make it into a matchday chant.  Obviously we'd need to find a new word for "Impressive genitalia", as "Wang" ain't gonna work, unless we shorten it to "Wan", and rhyme it with "Plan"?

12 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

From what I heard in the interview Warne pretty much threw the players under the bus.

From what I've read on here*, he also included himself in the blame game, be that equally, or more so?  🤷‍♂️

*I admit, I ain't heard no interview, so apologies if I've misinterpreted some posts.

55 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

So you genuinely believe that Paul warnes tactics caused Sonny Bradley to knock that back pass 10 yards instead of 30 yards? You think that Paul Warnes tactics made Joe Wildsmith completely miss that cross? You think that Callum Elders header was down to what Paul Warne told him to do?

Fair enough, I guess you're entitled to your opinion 

No, you're deliberately twisting what I said.

I believe that Paul Warne's tactics can lead to an increased chance of a player making a mistake, because when you're asking them to play in a manner they're not comfortable with, that happens. Same as Rosenior (and others) telling a team who aren't comfortable on the ball to pass it out under pressure - there are plenty of complains about that.

I believe that his tactics make it so that when a player does make a mistake it's more likely to be punished by the opposition.

I'm specifically talking about the Bradley pass against Wigan where he's passing it back from the centre circle, loads of space behind him and thus leaving the attacking player with all the time in the world to do what he needs to do. Closer to the goal and with more cover the striker has to make a decision very quickly, with more chance of the defence recovering the ball from him.

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

From what I've read on here*, he also included himself in the blame game, be that equally, or more so?  🤷‍♂️

*I admit, I ain't heard no interview, so apologies if I've misinterpreted some posts.

He did include himself in the blame game. Repeatedly. I don't think he was overly harsh on the players, not given the level of performance. Warne held his hand up over the tactics and communication, but ultimately there's only SO much he can do short of pulling on a pair of shorts and subbing himself on.

I'm not defending anyone particularly, I think there's plenty of culpability to go around for last night's performance. We've lost two home games, that's fair enough, and against two of the better sides in the division. Despite their problems, they are still good sides and will be further up the table than down it come the end of the season. However, the manner of those defeats is concerning, particularly last night's. Saturday, it looked like we were a couple of players short, and a few personal errors cost us. Last night, I don't really even know where to begin to explain that. We looked out of it, across the board. The players, the tactics, the communication, the morale, the fitness, everything was off. 

Big Trav said the mood "has" been low. I take that to mean before last night's game. I doubt that's just off the back of a home defeat to Wigan, so there's an obvious concern there around exactly why the mood's not great. Must be the first time in a while that's happened - in the relegation season we were galvanized and determined. Last season, we were defiant.

Just hope we can turn it around on Saturday and give Burton six of the best.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

I don’t think such clause exists where if you lose x amount on the trot, you’re gone.

Obviously he will be gone if we have 0 points after 11 games. And obviously that is never, ever going to happen. I don’t even think we lost that many on the bounce in 2007/08.

Reading some of the responses makes it really hard to believe that we’ve only gifted a team 3 points in our first game, then got knocked out the cup. That’s it.

That was my point.

The Cup is a blessing.  I'd rather try in the Papa Johns - at least we'd have a chance of actually winning it.  The league cup, whilst producing a little revenue, if you have a good tie, is essentially a drag on resources.

A league match we should have done better is another matter.  But we are talking one game of substance.  What Warne needs to do is concentrate of the defensive frailties.  We cannot enact a defenestration of the manager for a few minor, but costly, mistakes; this is when he needs to coach the problem away.

Edited by CBX1985

52 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Take out max and get a midfielder who can run and tackle and houihane might b better than his 7 goals and 7 assists from last season.

Get some money now whist we can for him. Out of contract at the end of season 

Warne's midfield will always fail with Hourihane in the side as he cannot press. You could have Kante or Makelele in there with Hourihane and you'll still have a dysfunctional midfield. The tactics have to change to get the best out of the whole team. It won't improve by changing 1 player in a broken system.

With regards to Bird, for someone who is as bad as you think, the team certainly performs better with him in the side in terms of points per game and win percentage.

19/20
With Bird: 10W, 5D, 7L (1.59 ppg, 45 W%)
Without Bird: 7W, 8D, 9L (1.21 ppg, 29% W%)

20/21
With Bird: 9W, 5D, 19L (0.96 ppg, 26 W%)
Without Bird: 2W, 6D, 5L (0.92 ppg, 15 W%)

20/21
With Bird: 13W, 13D, 16L (1.24 ppg, 31 W%)
Without Bird: 1W, 0D, 3L (0.92 ppg, 25 W%)

20/21
With Bird: 18W, 11D, 9L (1.71 ppg, 47 W%)
Without Bird: 3W, 2D, 3L (1.38 ppg, 38 W%)

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

Personally, I think he'll succeed here and this week will just be a tiny blip. After all, Jim Smith's first few weeks were pretty dire and he did OK...that said Paul Jewell was also appalling at the start.

Paul Jewell was appalling throughout! But he was very successful at Bradford City and Wigan; he was not at Sheffield Wednesday, Derby and Ipswich where the expectation from the fanbase was much bigger. I have always believed that his failures were due to the fact that he had stepped out of his comfort zone. I hope that we are not seeing the same with Paul Warne but...............

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm not, but it isn't after 1 league game, that is what is concerning.

Is it after one season when we narrowly missed out on reaching the play offs with a cobbled together team and tight reatrictions + 1 league game this season?

Edited by Tamworthram

1 hour ago, WarneOut said:

Well, I've had enough. The results have been beyond awful, Warne-ball is awful to watch. The players either look like they've got no idea what they're supposed to be doing, or they just can't be bothered to do it. Defending has been comical, the Blackpool goals being perfect examples. What are the players and coaches doing in training, standing around watching TikTok on their phones?

Warne is not good enough. I don't care how long he's got left on his contract, get rid before he drags us down to League 2.

its-all-gonna-be-ok-it-is-all-gonna-be-o

Well, I've had enough. The results have been beyond awful, Warne-ball is awful to watch. The players either look like they've got no idea what they're supposed to be doing, or they just can't be bothered to do it. Defending has been comical, the Blackpool goals being perfect examples. What are the players and coaches doing in training, standing around watching TikTok on their phones?

Warne is not good enough. I don't care how long he's got left on his contract, get rid before he drags us down to League 2.

Cheerio then. We'll all miss you. No one is being forced to stick around for the long haul. 😀

Edited by Tamworthram

Who do you think we are going to get as manager if he does go?  I don't think the penny is dropping: We are not getting a Lampard, Rooney or Cocu.  We'll get someone obscure, or new, or out in the cold - the one thing they will be is cheap.  The three years we'd need to pay for would further limit the field.  

Whether you like it or not, he is the best shot we have got.  It is easy to snipe, but that is the reality we live in.  

The grass is often greener until it isn't.  And PS, I was sad LR went - but when he did, and a four year deal, means we are where we are.

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Good - they've not been good enough and should feel low about it. Let's hope that inspires a reaction and we get our season going on Saturday!

That’s it for me. For Warne and the playing staff there’s no point wallowing, they have to dust themselves down and put it right starting Saturday. Show themselves and the fans how much it means to represent this club, regardless of the league we’re in 🐏 

16 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

No, you're deliberately twisting what I said.

I believe that Paul Warne's tactics can lead to an increased chance of a player making a mistake, because when you're asking them to play in a manner they're not comfortable with, that happens. Same as Rosenior (and others) telling a team who aren't comfortable on the ball to pass it out under pressure - there are plenty of complains about that.

I believe that his tactics make it so that when a player does make a mistake it's more likely to be punished by the opposition.

I'm specifically talking about the Bradley pass against Wigan where he's passing it back from the centre circle, loads of space behind him and thus leaving the attacking player with all the time in the world to do what he needs to do. Closer to the goal and with more cover the striker has to make a decision very quickly, with more chance of the defence recovering the ball from him.

Seriously? I haven't twisted anything you've said, I just don't understand your 'cause and effect' argument relating to the 3 goals we've given away. Implying that we are too high up the pitch for Bradley to make that back pass is crass in the extreme. Paul Warne isn't coaching under 11s, he is coaching seasoned pros and a 30 yard back pass is well within the relevant players skill set. 

If you don't like Warne, think he's not good enough or even just want him gone because he's annoying, then you have an argument, in fact you will likely be proven right. But dressing up arguments like we're all sitting in a corporate management seminar is ridiculous. 

I'll stick to my view that patience is needed and will respect your view that Warne is on borrowed time, even more so if you stop trying to blame him for things that just can't be his fault.

30 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Roy, at the weekend when I expressed my opinion that in his dealings with the media there were times when Warne should learn to wind his neck in, you gave me a playful slap and told me to stop listening then. Now you appear to be singing off my hymn sheet unless I'm reading you wrong 😉.

Lol. How do you know what he said, you've stopped listening! 😉 Nah I'm gonna be selective about what I listen to, I wonder when DC said the club had a duty of care to Rosenior that he will feel the same way about Warne and listen to how he speaks? 

Anyway, yeah, alright you win! 😄 It's a Pyrrhic victory though mate.  

11 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

Personally, I am delighted we lost tonight.  With the size of the squad, do we really want to be in the League Cup?

No we don't, But playing shyte for whatever reason is why we're out of the cup, We didn't lose to a last minute winner in a pulsating game, By all accounts that 1st half was abject...that's where all the vitriol is coming from.

11 hours ago, Ellafella said:

We didn’t just lose a game though. We have lost because our pawns are all over the place, our king is exposed, and our bishops are moving in zig-zags to no avail and we’ve lost our Knight. Our castles are empty and we’ve been done by a fool’s mate again. 

Those bishops need floggin 😁

22 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

He did include himself in the blame game. Repeatedly. I don't think he was overly harsh on the players, not given the level of performance. Warne held his hand up over the tactics and communication, but ultimately there's only SO much he can do short of pulling on a pair of shorts and subbing himself on.

If it was 90% (did he say?) his fault then why did he need to through players under the bus? Maybe he didn't believe it was his fault?