Is Warne living on borrowed time?

9 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

With better players that we would get in the champ, ur able to press harder , for longer and with greater discipline and awareness.

countless teams have played and done well with a warne esq approach its just doing it well and consistently. 

like any style, executed well and it looks the nuts.. when executed badly it looks a disorganised mess 

If Warne’s Derby County we’re a Topic bar I would often be asking Mars for my money back. 

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

If Warne’s Derby County we’re a Topic bar I would often be asking Mars for my money back. 

Thankfully our fans who go to the games would never dream of doing that.

4 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I think he is now more wary of Ed Dawes. He was giving his reasoning in his usual quick delivery style, said one thing in the middle of a long sentence and Dawes was on it like a viper. Straight there, 

Is there 2 Ed Dawes out there, I ask as one of the Ed Dawes was more like a snowflake when interviewing That Couhig creep on Radio Derby a couple of years ago.

5 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Thankfully our fans who go to the games would never dream of doing that.

Ahh, the old 'you have to go to games to have an opinion' argument. You might be surprised to learn that nowadays you can watch a game without involving yourself in a 370 mile round trip, or listening to it on a transistor radio 😀

4 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Is there 2 Ed Dawes out there, I ask as one of the Ed Dawes was more like a snowflake when interviewing That Couhig creep on Radio Derby a couple of years ago.

And when he interviewed Mel Morris when we had just filed for administration. He completely missed the open goal that was gaping to nail him. Maybe Warne's too nice, which makes Ed braver.

24 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Ahh, the old 'you have to go to games to have an opinion' argument. You might be surprised to learn that nowadays you can watch a game without involving yourself in a 370 mile round trip, or listening to it on a transistor radio 😀

But if watching Paul Warne's Derby makes you feel like asking for your money back, why bother? It sounds like you are suffering for the sake of feeling unnecessary pain. Strange.

BTW, Mars stopped making Topic bars in March 2022 while DCFC was fighting for survival. The world couldn't kill-off the Rams but there was not the same demand from the Topic's fanbase who decided the product was just not worth saving 😂

Edited by Brailsford Ram

13 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

And when he interviewed Mel Morris when we had just filed for administration. He completely missed the open goal that was gaping to nail him. Maybe Warne's too nice, which makes Ed braver.

Looking/Listening to PW after the 3-0 win at Burton it wasn't what I expected, More solemn maybe even a little confused, Being nice in the professional game has it's drawbacks, For me I think he now realises that Derby County is bigger than he thought, The expectation from all including PW has reverberations from PP to Moor Farm.

2 defeats doesn't make for a cold winter neither does 1 win make a summer, PW has been given a boost, 2 wins this week and he can practice walking on water 😉 

44 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

With better players that we would get in the champ, ur able to press harder , for longer and with greater discipline and awareness.

countless teams have played and done well with a warne esq approach its just doing it well and consistently. 

like any style, executed well and it looks the nuts.. when executed badly it looks a disorganised mess 

Have they? Which ones? 

I think what he's trying to do is *very* different to the Warnock/Rowett types of setup.  Those teams are solid, well-organised, hard-to-break-down etc.  Warne's "everybody running all the time" type thing is the polar opposite of that.  We aren't setting out to be disciplined, or organised or anything like that.  As far as I can tell, the idea is basically to try and get overloads all over the pitch (defensively and offensively) by out-running them - we're effectively trying to play 2 fullbacks and 2 wingers, 4 defensive midfielders and 4 attacking midfielders, except it's the same 6 players running between both ends of the pitch.  It's by definition chaotic.

And personally, I think there's only so far that can take you.  The ball will always move quicker than players can, and as the standard of players gets better, you'll get diminishing returns as to how much you can close that gap by running more.  Better players will keep the ball better, you'll be chasing it more and getting tired quicker.  And better players will punish mistakes more, because no matter how much you run, in a system like that you will get caught out sometimes, when everyone goes forwards and doesn't get back in time

14 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

But if watching Paul Warne's Derby makes you feel like asking for your money back, why bother? It sounds like you are suffering for the sake of feeling unnecessary pain. Strange.

BTW, Mars stopped making Topic bars in March 2022 while DCFC was fighting for survival. The world couldn't kill-off the Rams but there was not the same demand from the Topic's fanbase who decided the product was just not worth saving 😂

Now we all know the answer to the first one don't we. Thick and thin old chap. You don't simply stop supporting your football team because you think your manager is poor. If that were the case I would have stopped supporting Derby around 1977.

I was unaware that Topic was no longer on sale. I will not use a Topic joke again, as I like my humour to be of current relevance.

6 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Looking/Listening to PW after the 3-0 win at Burton it wasn't what I expected, More solemn maybe even a little confused, Being nice in the professional game has it's drawbacks, For me I think he now realises that Derby County is bigger than he thought, The expectation from all including PW has reverberations from PP to Moor Farm.

2 defeats doesn't make for a cold winter neither does 1 win make a summer, PW has been given a boost, 2 wins this week and he can practice walking on water 😉 

If Warne gets us in the Prem he would be “Walking on water”. He really is starting on the bottom rung of the ladder.

7 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Now we all know the answer to the first one don't we. Thick and thin old chap. You don't simply stop supporting your football team because you think your manager is poor. If that were the case I would have stopped supporting Derby around 1977.

I was unaware that Topic was no longer on sale. I will not use a Topic joke again, as I like my humour to be of current relevance.

Yea , leave topics out of it , I don’t know why you even raisin it

13 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I think he is now more wary of Ed Dawes. He was giving his reasoning in his usual quick delivery style, said one thing in the middle of a long sentence and Dawes was on it like a viper. Straight there, probing and expanding. I’m sure Warne was a bit taken aback by that and will now measure what he says. He was only throwing in possible reasons for a poor performance but Dawes made it into an actual issue. I’d guess he won’t get the chance to do that again. 

Ed did nothing wrong. Warne made a mistake. He should be a man about it, say he’s apologised to the player and get on with it. Certainly not hold it against the interviewer as you have alluded.

11 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Have they? Which ones? 

I think what he's trying to do is *very* different to the Warnock/Rowett types of setup.  Those teams are solid, well-organised, hard-to-break-down etc.  Warne's "everybody running all the time" type thing is the polar opposite of that.  We aren't setting out to be disciplined, or organised or anything like that.  As far as I can tell, the idea is basically to try and get overloads all over the pitch (defensively and offensively) by out-running them - we're effectively trying to play 2 fullbacks and 2 wingers, 4 defensive midfielders and 4 attacking midfielders, except it's the same 6 players running between both ends of the pitch.  It's by definition chaotic.

And personally, I think there's only so far that can take you.  The ball will always move quicker than players can, and as the standard of players gets better, you'll get diminishing returns as to how much you can close that gap by running more.  Better players will keep the ball better, you'll be chasing it more and getting tired quicker.  And better players will punish mistakes more, because no matter how much you run, in a system like that you will get caught out sometimes, when everyone goes forwards and doesn't get back in time

Well us for one under billy .. took me about 3 seconds to think of that one lol

luton town …. 5 seconds lol

want me to go on ? 

no were not an organised, cohesive unit yet but that might be because our newly assembled squad has had 3 competitive games to gel lol

19 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

I think there's some truth in this too. It did however work 3 times for Rotherham in this league.  I think the bigger question is how far it will take you in the championship but we can worry about that when we get there.  

I think this is flawed thinking though.

The weird thing is I do think eventually he'd be able to achieve promotion but I don't think that's the be all and all. I think we should be thinking more about how continually develop long term. How do we hit the ground running in the Championship? How do we develop? How do we start mounting a push for promotion to the premiership? 

These questions might seem premature but use the time correctly now and it will set us properly for that. Focus purely on promotion and we will flounder. And that's my main issue with Warne, I don't think he's setting us up for long term success and I don't think he's the person to guide us up through those stages as this level is likely around his limit.

The argument would have merit if he looked like he'd be a sure bet on fast promotion but most evidence doesn't point to that being true. Last season was below par. The close season has been not great and the start leaves a lot to be desired.

Thing I dont understand from here and rumour mill thread is why is Warne seemingly getting all if the negative comments about blowing "his" budget on what we will already have? Unless dcfc is run differently to every other business and he has miraculously gained his accountancy exams (in which case congrats Paul) he will not be monitoring the budget or how much he has spent already or negotiating/signing off the player purchases or sales. I am not moaning at DC for the budget being low or lower than expected either - as no accident that PW was appointed who is used to operating on a low budget. But there are other people at the club in charge of such things and so not fair to place any blame for that on PW (if there is blame to be attached that is)