3 at the back….

chadlad

10 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

It gives us one more. 3 at the back instead of 4.

Not really, would say is five at the back personally. Wings backs are defenders to me.

so have a back five, two defensive mids. Doesn’t leave much room for creativity does it. 

watched spurs play it last season and was just awful to watch. Am sure it can work with the right players, not convinced we have them currently though.

3 at the back can absolutely work, if you are playing it to achieve something specific, and if you have the players to play it.  We seem to fit neither of those. We look no closer to have a squad capable of playing it, despite a bunch of signings.  And we seem intent on getting loads of crosses in the box, yet start with wingbacks (so your wide players are starting much deeper, have no support, and have to constantly worry about getting back to defend), and are playing a lone striker (so we get barely anybody in the box to get on the end of the crosses). 🤷‍♂️

Said it after Sheff Utd we need something more in front of them for it to work, Hourihane possibly undroppable now he's captain, Smith is playing well further up and Bird is now fancied further up but one of them needs sacrificing for a strong CDM that can move or we'll continue to get overrun through the middle.

20 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

In that back three that played today I would be including young Rooney as we will desperately need some pace when opposing teams counter with any pace. 

Is Rooney quick? My impression of him has always been good on the ball but slow and clumsy.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Didn't Man City win the treble last season with 3 at the back?

I would say that Man City adopt a very flexible system and have very skilful and intelligent players who are able to interchange positions and adapt to different systems.

I don’t like 3 at the back but then I’m not the Manager of DCFC.

2 hours ago, chadlad said:

…doesn’t work in my humble opinion. Has anyone won anything playing 3 at the back.

A number of times today there appeared to be a huge space in the middle of our defence. Sonny Bradley is undoubtedly a good player but is not the quickest and seems to have a habit of going awol.

Two CD’s make the defence more secure while still allowing full backs to overlap and wingers to cut inside.

Happy to be shot down - discuss. 🙂

Antonio Conte's Chelski won the PL with 3 at the back.

I wonder if maybe Bradley and Cashin should actually switch places? Crazy but we want Bradley in as many duels/headers as possible and Cashin is actually great when he runs towards our own goal and defend with a sliding tackle in the last minute to stop an attacker with taste for goal. Also that opens up for Cashins long balls as an alternative attacking option as well.

The set up today didn't feel right but early days. Cashin might need time to adjust I think based on todays showing. Looked a bit "off" from his usual self. 

Edited by InstaRam

I think you can get far too hung up on 3/4/5 or formations in general, it's often more about the characteristics of the players, their understanding of each other and the shape of the team and to that end, I wasn't convinced by Cashin particularly in almost all aspects. I fully appreciate he's young and playing with two new centre backs but doesn't look immediately comfortable and because Fozzy was so high, he's vulnerable to pace down the side of him. Not great initial signs but Warne is unlikely to change the 3 so let's hope its more cohesive in the next few games 

2 hours ago, InstaRam said:

The set up today didn't feel right but early days. Cashin might need time to adjust I think based on todays showing. Looked a bit "off" from his usual self. 

I thought the same. I found it strange that on several occasions he was playing in deep attacking positions on the left upfield with no chance of getting back to defend the counterattack. But on each occasion Korey Smith had dropped back into the defence to cover for him. Maybe that was a pre-planned strategy but it seemed to take balance away from our shape and he wasn't particularly productive on his forward forays.