3 at the back….

chadlad

…doesn’t work in my humble opinion. Has anyone won anything playing 3 at the back.

A number of times today there appeared to be a huge space in the middle of our defence. Sonny Bradley is undoubtedly a good player but is not the quickest and seems to have a habit of going awol.

Two CD’s make the defence more secure while still allowing full backs to overlap and wingers to cut inside.

Happy to be shot down - discuss. 🙂

8 minutes ago, chadlad said:

…doesn’t work in my humble opinion. Has anyone won anything playing 3 at the back.

A number of times today there appeared to be a huge space in the middle of our defence. Sonny Bradley is undoubtedly a good player but is not the quickest and seems to have a habit of going awol.

Two CD’s make the defence more secure while still allowing full backs to overlap and wingers to cut inside.

Derby under the bald Eagle.

But; we had Rowett, Chris Powell, Stimac, Carsley, Ron Willems, Van Der Laan, Gabbiadini, Paul Simpson, Sturridge, Ashley Ward.

Oh how we have fallen.

16 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Didn't Sheff Utd go from League One to the Premier League pretty quickly playing 3 at the back? 

8 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Plymouth, Ipswich & Sheff Weds all played 3 at the back for large parts of last season.

I seem to recall that we tried 3 at the back for a few games last season, didn’t seem to work.

It's about us playing 3 at the back?

Didn't look comfortable today (or in patches preseason). The midfield is wrong with 3/5 too. Mostly today we had CBs getting in each others way. Only Nelson seems decent when he gets confident enough to come forward with the ball. Mostly we just slowed down play. Plus I understood that Elder was a fullback rather than wingback?

I hate 3 at the back, very few teams have players good enough to play the system well.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Derby under the bald Eagle.

But; we had Rowett, Chris Powell, Stimac, Carsley, Ron Willems, Van Der Laan, Gabbiadini, Paul Simpson, Sturridge, Ashley Ward.

Oh how we have fallen.

True but with four at the back we walked the Second Division in 1968-9 (Webster-McFarland-Mackay-Robson), won the League Championship in 1971-72 (Webster-McFarland-Todd-Robson) and won it gain with a back four in 1974-75 (Webster/Thomas-Daniel-Todd-Nish).

It's important to use a system which best utilises the players at your disposal but the overriding factor is the quality of the players at your disposal. The stark fact of the matter, through no fault of theirs, is that the existing group of players in terms of competition above them, is the worst group in terms of quality in the history of our club, alongside the team from 1984-85 and 2022-23. They have to rise above that level if we are to be promoted this season. We'll soon find out if they are capable of that or not.