3 at the back….

chadlad

Im not anti warne… im not pro warne

im pro stability and common sense.

What i am concerned about is the 3 at the back

it can work.. of course it can. There are countless examples of it doing so and obviously we got it right with the bald eagle.

however, my concern atm is the balance.

im not sure theres enough mobility in that back line when the opposition start moving us about… this seems evident by the ease in which teams have managed to get chances and more worryingly 1 on 1s against us with minimal effort.

the other concern is what is infront of that back line… theres no ratters, no shield , no protection

the side is crying out for a eustace or a powell or a RVDL….any of those 3 despite being different players would improve that shape infinitely. 

its a concern atm but im pretty sure having been promoted from this league 3 times warne will be aware of what we need

its just a question can we obtain it in this window 

Patience is required 

3/5 at the back can work, but it needs the right balance. At the moment, Warne wants the wing backs to attack (cross from one side, attack the box from the other side), the side backs to push up and cross, and Bradley to push up and get on the end of all those crosses. All 5 at various times are being told to attack, which is just wrong. I wouldn't say Cashin has ever been known for his crossing ability, so it's bizarre to ask him to do it, The defenders in general aren't the fastest, so it's asking for trouble to play such as high line and leave them one-on-one (two-on-two, three-on-three) with pacey forwards.

They then have 2 or 3 CMs in front of them who are also told to push up and get in the box. It further compounds the difficulty in offering effective protection to the defence.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

3/5 at the back can work, but it needs the right balance. At the moment, Warne wants the wing backs to attack (cross from one side, attack the box from the other side), the side backs to push up and cross, and Bradley to push up and get on the end of all those crosses. All 5 at various times are being told to attack, which is just wrong. I wouldn't say Cashin has ever been known for his crossing ability, so it's bizarre to ask him to do it, The defenders in general aren't the fastest, so it's asking for trouble to play such as high line and leave them one-on-one (two-on-two, three-on-three) with pacey forwards.

They then have 2 or 3 CMs in front of them who are also told to push up and get in the box. It further compounds the difficulty in offering effective protection to the defence.

Yep, we play nine 'defensive' minded players and then sit them so far up the field they can't do the jobs they're good at. As I said last night, if you want a winger, play a winger.

And if you want somebody to charge up and down the pitch all day doing both, don't recruit 30 year olds! 

It will be interesting to see how we play on Saturday when we are away from home and the impetus is on the other team to attack. Will we look better creating our play on the break? I'm hoping so, otherwise I can see no advantage at all in this set up. 

Wing backs drive me mad. They’re expected two do two jobs and due to the position they either have to make up extra ground to get forward and extra ground to get back leaving them knackered after 60 minutes. 

When we push both wing backs up it leaves a massive gap down either flank.

So many times they end up isolated with the only option being to whip a cross in. It predictably and in turn easy to stop.

Like @angieram just said, if you want wingers then play wingers.

Leave the cb's to defend, let them be a threat from set pieces only, at least until they are a fully working defensive unit with better communication and trust. Every team will come to PP and sit in and counter, it's crazy to be so high up the pitch and open. Attack with attacking players, what we have or ideally a few new editions please. 

If he gets the players in to make it work then stick to 352 but if he cannot recruit the required types of players then we need to revert back to 4. 

Build the team/squad around these players: Wildsmith, Wilson, Ward, Rooney, Cash, Thompson, Bird, Robinson, Sibley + (Bardell, Brown, Radcliffe) and at least the team should improve year on year/we’ll develop saleable assets. 

Wildsmith 

Wilson Bradley Cash Elder 

Thompson Bird 

Sibley 

Ward Collins NML 

Mixed with: 

Vickers 

Bardell Rooney Nelson Forsyth 

Smith Robinson 

Hourihane 

Waghorn Washington Barkhuizen 

Obviously the top side with Rooney eventually Replacing Bradley would be the dream - full of young academy players, young players who’s value is going to rise but I’d imagine it’d be a mixture of the two elevens because Warne would want more experience. 

Take one look at Wigans team against us with 6* academy products in it if you’re worried about experience. 

* mcmanaman is included as academy product despite clearly being at the end of his career.