v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

Some promising moments, could see the pressing almost working on a couple of occasions, Ward and Wilson offer a threat down the right we simply didn’t have last season, Forsyth showed he can still play lwb to a point (perhaps another cb signing makes more sense with Elder regaining fitness and Fozzy able to cover). However a couple of big defensive lapses cost us today. 
This has  confirmed what we all knew in that we’re a couple of bodies short and potentially need more pace in midfield. Barkhuizen and Sibley to come back in will help with the forward options as well.

Clearly still work to be done but I’m still optimistic about the season overall. 🐏 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Been some terrible posts over the past day or two but think you’ve won for me. 

First game! Mental. 

Just kidding! I know its the first game and its pretty new team. We will win the league!!

Gutted not to get anything out of this game. Think we did some things really good but switched off which did cost us in the end.

One thing stood out, crosses...we really must practice crosses. Abysmal deliveries from proffesional footballers! It's not even hard to get it past the first defender most of the times. Can't understand how 7/10 crosses are terrible.

(Ward might be able to teach the others?)

Edited by InstaRam
Ward is a good crosser off course

3 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Been some terrible posts over the past day or two but think you’ve won for me. 

First game! Mental. 

To be fair though, it was a sharp and somewhat witty comment. Possibly played a bit too early but there's always the chance that the good people will be the ones holding a trophy come the end of the season, and then it's too late to use it.

1 minute ago, Matchday Fred said:

The midfield has no pace, no bite, no guile, will not track back and put a foot in. There is no pace or physicality anywhere, just lots of very same nice blokes who laugh at Warner’s jokes and like to run round cones in training.

They’ve not had the best games today but I wouldn’t describe Nelson and Bradley as nice blokes. Nelson clattered a couple of their players including the keeper from set pieces and Bradley shoved one of their players who was attempting to time waste sending the lad flying across the turf. 

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well, on the positive side i recently bought myself a harmonica, so everyone else in the house will soon be as miserable as i am.

twinkle twinkle this........................

I respect you for the efficiency with which you have learned to play it - straight in with the blues eh? 🤣

A game decided by two gifts…

Lots of pressure and half chances created by us.

Warne looks to be getting what he wanted in terms of more quality crosses but we didn’t win enough first or second balls from them. Whether that was down to us or the fact that  Wigan were resolute and crowded their box.

It’s a bit of a reality check but I’d rather have it now than later in the season.

Oh… Didzy on the score sheet for Notts County but not the fairy tale return he might have wished for

Edited by HectorsHouse

5 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

The midfield has no pace, no bite, no guile, will not track back and put a foot in. There is no pace or physicality anywhere, just lots of very samey nice blokes who laugh at Warney’s jokes and like to run round cones in training.

That's all any of us want in a player - didn't you realise?

Is your post serious? There's a few testing out the sarcasm filters today.

5 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

The midfield has no pace, no bite, no guile, will not track back and put a foot in. There is no pace or physicality anywhere, just lots of very samey nice blokes who laugh at Warney’s jokes and like to run round cones in training.

This football manager lark is so easy isn't it when you put things like that