Burton Tickets going for £100's pounds? Is this true/legal?

LN747

My mates said that tickets selling for over 120 quid for Burton game on social media sites!

Is this legal?

Are the club aware?

I cant go to that game anyway but would be a bit annoyed if i didn't get a ticket cos touts or someone was flogging them off!

I presume they are fakes but he seems to think they're genuine

I would consider buying an expensive ticket for a cup final but league 1 game probably not...and we always lose there...

Edited by LN747
typo

To answer one question ticket touting is a criminal offence 

To answer another one of your questions - does the club know - well if you wanted to inform the club about this activity then that would deal with that one. 

Who would want to go and counterfeit tickets for Burton vs Derby I mean it's hardly like the World Cup Final really is it.....

I think what a lot of the away membership holders do is buy tickets to get the credit on their account and if they can't go (for whatever reason) then sell them. I'd guess usually at the going rate, but Burton is a unique one as it's not far and allocation is small. 

I can't go anyway, but realistically I have no problem with overpaying for tickets. £100 seems steep for Burton away though. I've done it in the past for Forest tickets, even they didn't get up to £100 though! 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

I think what a lot of the away membership holders do is buy tickets to get the credit on their account and if they can't go (for whatever reason) then sell them. I'd guess usually at the going rate, but Burton is a unique one as it's not far and allocation is small. 

I can't go anyway, but realistically I have no problem with overpaying for tickets. £100 seems steep for Burton away though. I've done it in the past for Forest tickets, even they didn't get up to £100 though! 

You have no problem with scalping? ☠️

5. Use Of The Ticket

5.1 Subject to clause 5.7, the Ticket is issued for Your sole use and, except as allowed under these Conditions, You shall not resell, assign or transfer the Ticket or the benefit of it to any other person without the prior written consent of the Club. The reference to reselling the Ticket includes reference to offering to sell a Ticket, exposing a Ticket for sale, making a Ticket available for sale by another and advertising that a Ticket is available for purchase (including by way of an online auction site). For the avoidance of doubt (and by way of example only) a Ticket may not be offered as a prize in any promotion or competition or transferred, lent or sold to any third party as part of a hospitality or travel package, given to a third party who agrees to buy another good or service or used for any other commercial purpose save as expressly authorised by the League or the Club. The Club shall, in the event a Supporter is found to attempt to resell, assign or transfer any Ticket(s), be entitled to:

5.1.1 cancel and withdraw any Ticket(s) so purchased;

5.1.2 refuse any refund.

5.2 The Ticket will remain the property of the Club at all times and must be produced together with evidence of Your identity if required to do so by any official, steward or employee of the Club or any police officer. The Club reserves the right to require the immediate return of the Ticket at any time.

5.2.1 Once the Purchaser has completed their order, they will be asked to confirm that it is correct. If it is not, the Purchaser can amend or cancel the order before submitting it. It is the Purchaser's responsibility to ensure the order is correct before submission. Payment will be taken when the Purchaser clicks the ‘confirm’ button (or equivalently marked button). This does not indicate the Club’s acceptance of the Purchaser's offer, and the Purchaser will be refunded in the unlikely event that the Club refuses the offer;

5.3 Misuse of the Ticket may result in You being refused entry to, or ejected from, the Ground in respect of a particular Match and/or the cancellation and withdrawal of the Ticket. In the event of any cancellation and withdrawal in accordance with this clause 5.3, no refund shall be given. The Club further reserves its right to take any legal action against any persons as it sees fit in connection with such matters, including a claim for an account of profits made from an unauthorised use of the Ticket.

5.4 The unauthorised sale or disposal of a Ticket is a criminal offence under section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (as amended by the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006). The Club will inform the police when it becomes aware that tickets are being sold illegally and will press for charges to be brought against those breaking this law.

5.5 If You/Your Guest suspects that ticket touting is taking place in or around the Ground, the Club requests that You promptly report Your suspicions to the Club and police.

5.6 If You are convicted of a ticket touting offence, or the Club reasonably suspects You have committed such an offence, it will notify the League who may in turn notify other league clubs and/or the relevant law enforcement authorities. The information that the Club shares may include Your personal details, information about the offence and about ticket purchases (including payment details). The Club use this information to identify and prevent ticket touting offences and disorder at matches.

5.7 Subject to clause 5.9, if more than one Single Match Ticket is issued to You one Single Match Ticket must be retained by You for personal use and the remainder may be transferred to Your Guests for their personal use. Subject to clause 5.1, if You and/or Your Guest are unable to use any Single Match Ticket then You and/or they may transfer that Single Match Ticket to a natural person who is known to You personally and who would be entitled (under the Terms & Conditions of Entry) to purchase such Single Match Ticket and attend such Match. This transfer must not involve the transfer of any monies or other items which may result in the transfer to be considered a sale or exchange.

5.8 Subject to clause 7.2, You may on no more than 4 occasions during the Season transfer Your Season Ticket to a natural person who is known to You personally for use by that person in connection with a single Match, provided that such person would be entitled (under the Terms and Conditions of Entry) to purchase a Ticket for and attend such Match. If the transferee of Your Season Ticket would have been required to pay a higher age related price for the Season Ticket than You paid, then You or they will be required to pay an upgrade charge of the difference between the Nominal Match Price paid by You and the Nominal Match Price that would have been payable by the transferee. On all subsequent occasions the upgrade fee will be the difference between the Nominal Match Price paid by You and price of a Single Match Ticket that would be payable by the transferee for the relevant Match. You are required to notify the Ticket Office on all occasions which You are not using the Ticket and intend to transfer this to any other Supporter – the Club reserves the right to ask for the personal details for this Supporter, and failure to provide these may result in the cancellation of the Ticket for the selected fixture.

5.9 The transfers of Tickets permitted under clause 5.7 and clause 5.8 are permitted on the conditions that:

5.9.1 such transfer is not made in the course of business;

5.9.2 the transfer takes place free of charge;

5.9.3 the purchaser must purchase and retain a Ticket for his their own personal use;

5.9.4 the purchaser must inform the Club in writing of the personal contact details of the Guest, including their address and present them to any official, steward or employee of the Club and/or any police officer when asked to do so; and 5.9.5 such transfer must not be in contravention of clause 5.1.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/ticketing-useful-information

Yes, it's illegal.

I've broken that law myself.  The most recent entailed handing over a (genuinely spare) single Wembley ticket (v Villa 2019) to a fellow forumite off here, for the face value of the ticket (NOT including any handling fees etc).  I knew the law (and club rules), but deliberately and wantonly ignored them, as morally, I saw it as more of a good deed to a fellow Ram than a criminal act, and also less hassle than a late return for a refund.

I've also handed out tickets to known family/friends, sometimes for money, sometimes free, never for a profit... and have always retained one of those tickets for my own personal use.  That scenario is perfectly legal... and within club rules.

I'm pretty certain I would never consider selling such a ticket to a known (or suspected) supporter of the opposition and/or at a price over and above the face value.

24 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

To answer one question ticket touting is a criminal offence 

To answer another one of your questions - does the club know - well if you wanted to inform the club about this activity then that would deal with that one. 

Who would want to go and counterfeit tickets for Burton vs Derby I mean it's hardly like the World Cup Final really is it.....

I beg to differ, it is if you are a Burton fan.

4 hours ago, LN747 said:

My mates said that tickets selling for over 120 quid for Burton game on social media sites!

Is this legal?

Are the club aware?

I cant go to that game anyway but would be a bit annoyed if i didn't get a ticket cos touts or someone was flogging them off!

I presume they are fakes but he seems to think they're genuine

I would consider buying an expensive ticket for a cup final but league 1 game probably not...and we always lose there...

Seems incredibly unlikely to be true especially as you still seem to be able to buy tickets in the home stands if anyone was that desperate 

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

5. Use Of The Ticket

5.1 Subject to clause 5.7, the Ticket is issued for Your sole use and, except as allowed under these Conditions, You shall not resell, assign or transfer the Ticket or the benefit of it to any other person without the prior written consent of the Club. The reference to reselling the Ticket includes reference to offering to sell a Ticket, exposing a Ticket for sale, making a Ticket available for sale by another and advertising that a Ticket is available for purchase (including by way of an online auction site). For the avoidance of doubt (and by way of example only) a Ticket may not be offered as a prize in any promotion or competition or transferred, lent or sold to any third party as part of a hospitality or travel package, given to a third party who agrees to buy another good or service or used for any other commercial purpose save as expressly authorised by the League or the Club. The Club shall, in the event a Supporter is found to attempt to resell, assign or transfer any Ticket(s), be entitled to:

5.1.1 cancel and withdraw any Ticket(s) so purchased;

5.1.2 refuse any refund.

5.2 The Ticket will remain the property of the Club at all times and must be produced together with evidence of Your identity if required to do so by any official, steward or employee of the Club or any police officer. The Club reserves the right to require the immediate return of the Ticket at any time.

5.2.1 Once the Purchaser has completed their order, they will be asked to confirm that it is correct. If it is not, the Purchaser can amend or cancel the order before submitting it. It is the Purchaser's responsibility to ensure the order is correct before submission. Payment will be taken when the Purchaser clicks the ‘confirm’ button (or equivalently marked button). This does not indicate the Club’s acceptance of the Purchaser's offer, and the Purchaser will be refunded in the unlikely event that the Club refuses the offer;

5.3 Misuse of the Ticket may result in You being refused entry to, or ejected from, the Ground in respect of a particular Match and/or the cancellation and withdrawal of the Ticket. In the event of any cancellation and withdrawal in accordance with this clause 5.3, no refund shall be given. The Club further reserves its right to take any legal action against any persons as it sees fit in connection with such matters, including a claim for an account of profits made from an unauthorised use of the Ticket.

5.4 The unauthorised sale or disposal of a Ticket is a criminal offence under section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (as amended by the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006). The Club will inform the police when it becomes aware that tickets are being sold illegally and will press for charges to be brought against those breaking this law.

5.5 If You/Your Guest suspects that ticket touting is taking place in or around the Ground, the Club requests that You promptly report Your suspicions to the Club and police.

5.6 If You are convicted of a ticket touting offence, or the Club reasonably suspects You have committed such an offence, it will notify the League who may in turn notify other league clubs and/or the relevant law enforcement authorities. The information that the Club shares may include Your personal details, information about the offence and about ticket purchases (including payment details). The Club use this information to identify and prevent ticket touting offences and disorder at matches.

5.7 Subject to clause 5.9, if more than one Single Match Ticket is issued to You one Single Match Ticket must be retained by You for personal use and the remainder may be transferred to Your Guests for their personal use. Subject to clause 5.1, if You and/or Your Guest are unable to use any Single Match Ticket then You and/or they may transfer that Single Match Ticket to a natural person who is known to You personally and who would be entitled (under the Terms & Conditions of Entry) to purchase such Single Match Ticket and attend such Match. This transfer must not involve the transfer of any monies or other items which may result in the transfer to be considered a sale or exchange.

5.8 Subject to clause 7.2, You may on no more than 4 occasions during the Season transfer Your Season Ticket to a natural person who is known to You personally for use by that person in connection with a single Match, provided that such person would be entitled (under the Terms and Conditions of Entry) to purchase a Ticket for and attend such Match. If the transferee of Your Season Ticket would have been required to pay a higher age related price for the Season Ticket than You paid, then You or they will be required to pay an upgrade charge of the difference between the Nominal Match Price paid by You and the Nominal Match Price that would have been payable by the transferee. On all subsequent occasions the upgrade fee will be the difference between the Nominal Match Price paid by You and price of a Single Match Ticket that would be payable by the transferee for the relevant Match. You are required to notify the Ticket Office on all occasions which You are not using the Ticket and intend to transfer this to any other Supporter – the Club reserves the right to ask for the personal details for this Supporter, and failure to provide these may result in the cancellation of the Ticket for the selected fixture.

5.9 The transfers of Tickets permitted under clause 5.7 and clause 5.8 are permitted on the conditions that:

5.9.1 such transfer is not made in the course of business;

5.9.2 the transfer takes place free of charge;

5.9.3 the purchaser must purchase and retain a Ticket for his their own personal use;

5.9.4 the purchaser must inform the Club in writing of the personal contact details of the Guest, including their address and present them to any official, steward or employee of the Club and/or any police officer when asked to do so; and 5.9.5 such transfer must not be in contravention of clause 5.1.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/ticketing-useful-information

Yes, it's illegal.

I've broken that law myself.  The most recent entailed handing over a (genuinely spare) single Wembley ticket (v Villa 2019) to a fellow forumite off here, for the face value of the ticket (NOT including any handling fees etc).  I knew the law (and club rules), but deliberately and wantonly ignored them, as morally, I saw it as more of a good deed to a fellow Ram than a criminal act, and also less hassle than a late return for a refund.

I've also handed out tickets to known family/friends, sometimes for money, sometimes free, never for a profit... and have always retained one of those tickets for my own personal use.  That scenario is perfectly legal... and within club rules.

I'm pretty certain I would never consider selling such a ticket to a known (or suspected) supporter of the opposition and/or at a price over and above the face value.

I would hope that the club and the law has no problem and would take no action against those passing tickets on to friends and fellow fans at face value ? 

I suspect in law a good defence would be no damage done to anyone. 

18 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'd suggest that anyone willing to part with over £100 to go to Burton has either got too much money or too few brain cells, perhaps both.

I was born in Burton. I love it in a wierd kind of way, but I'm not paying over £100 to be there.

I was born in Burton. I wouldn't pay £10 to be there. 😂