Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

31 minutes ago, Srg said:

Musk turning this into some kind of moral grandstanding against advertising, Disney etc. is so so dumb.

Advertisers don’t care about Musk, free speech or anything. They can about CTR, ROI and all that stuff.Β 

Fact of the matter is two fold. Twitter delivers advertising next to racist tweets or dick pics, and the actual targeting is awful. On Google, Facebook or wherever you can target exact users based on practically any criteria you want and advertise to them, on Twitter you can’t do that and the returns for your ad spend are rubbish so advertisers just don’t want to use it. It’s really that simple.Β 

Instagram's targeted ads are scary good, was only the other day I was looking in the mirror and thinking, I'm aging quite well you know. I could be a model.

Then last night, this comes up...

Β 

90ed940c-faf5-4e2d-83dc-48bf5919e99c.jpeg

3 hours ago, David said:

Instagram's targeted ads are scary good, was only the other day I was looking in the mirror and thinking, I'm aging quite well you know. I could be a model.

Then last night, this comes up...

Β 

90ed940c-faf5-4e2d-83dc-48bf5919e99c.jpeg

Model? I’d say you need an Airfix first.

Ok, so let's run this one up the flagpole....

Musky bought Twitter for $44 billion, but around 30% of that figure came in bank loans. To facilitate, Sneaky Elon uses a leveraged buyout strategy, leaving Twitter and not the ordained one himself, on the hook to pay back said loans.

Fast-forward through his catastrophic attempts to 'balance' Twitter, the entire X Suite debacle, which I told you would never happen (and I still don't believe it will) and now we've arrived at a point where he's deliberately driving every advertiser he has off his own platform. Add to that the recent poll indicating that less than 1 in 5 users would agree to a subscription model and it's fair to say X may now have arrived at destination f****d

Are we about to see the world's most expensive toy, trashed then chucked in the bin?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67599937

On 01/12/2023 at 14:56, Stive Pesley said:

I fully agree with the high level point that commercial media is entrenched in the advertising/click-bait corporation game and therefore utterly untrustworthy

But then at the same time I love the way he doesn't seem to mention that Twitter itself is a corporation run by a billionaire desperately pushing his own agenda at any cost ($44b in fact!)

See also culture warrior love-ins over GB News being some sort of brilliant thing. These aren't the "good guys" - they are just "the other bad guys"

Β 

Β 

Β 

I’m ok with stations , platforms , papers ect having a bias as I believe it’s near impossible for that not to be the case , what swings it with me for gb news being more watchable is the fact that although the presenters and general vibe of the station is a little right leaning the left is given plenty of airtime to put the other side and I’ve found that to be the case so far with every issue covered from trans ,culture issues , brexit , net zero through to the current conflicts in Ukraine and Gazza , I don’t find that anywhere near as much anywhere else ,

now I’m not saying gb news is the holy grail but I do enjoy the debate from both sides but each to they’re ownΒ 

On 03/12/2023 at 07:16, Archied said:

I’m ok with stations , platforms , papers ect having a bias as I believe it’s near impossible for that not to be the case , what swings it with me for gb news being more watchable is the fact that although the presenters and general vibe of the station is a little right leaning the left is given plenty of airtime to put the other side and I’ve found that to be the case so far with every issue covered from trans ,culture issues , brexit , net zero through to the current conflicts in Ukraine and Gazza , I don’t find that anywhere near as much anywhere else ,

now I’m not saying gb news is the holy grail but I do enjoy the debate from both sides but each to they’re ownΒ 

I haven't watched GB News because it is just another billionaire controlled news outlet. If however they have had "left" leaning airtime to debate public ownership of water, transport, NHS, gas and electric then i'd happily tune in.Β 

Its my belief that full and open debate on these issues are gone forever. Every populist rabble rouser, media outlet whether its TV or papers and all the major political parties are now fully committed to full privatisation, Freeports, deregulation and tax evasion.

I look around the media forlornly looking for a champion for people who have to lose their homes because they need care after working all their lives, striving to try and leave a little for their kids while billionaires and corporations get tax cuts every budget. Maybe the odd shout up about government saying they can't afford to reduce poverty while being able to afford to increase it to appease the rich would make an interesting discussion.

Why isn't just one national news station demanding the end of pumping sewage into our rivers and seas for instance, Not one, one or two tiny organisations try their best on social media to highlight it but its a very small audience.

We're well and truly fecked. Owned lock, stock and barrel by the vulture capitalist, hedge fund gamblers who control all the media and politicians.

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I haven't watched GB News because it is just another billionaire controlled news outlet. If however they have had "left" leaning airtime to debate public ownership of water, transport, NHS, gas and electric then i'd happily tune in.Β 

Its my belief that full and open debate on these issues are gone forever. Every populist rabble rouser, media outlet whether its TV or papers and all the major political parties are now fully committed to full privatisation, Freeports, deregulation and tax evasion.

I look around the media forlornly looking for a champion for people who have to lose their homes because they need care after working all their lives, striving to try and leave a little for their kids while billionaires and corporations get tax cuts every budget. Maybe the odd shout up about government saying they can't afford to reduce poverty while being able to afford to increase it to appease the rich would make an interesting discussion.

Why isn't just one national news station demanding the end of pumping sewage into our rivers and seas for instance, Not one, one or two tiny organisations try their best on social media to highlight it but its a very small audience.

We're well and truly fecked. Owned lock, stock and barrel by the vulture capitalist, hedge fund gamblers who control all the media and politicians.

They actually do have that balance of debate and subject matter, I get a bit of stick on here for defending it but I can tell you I would get bored very very quickly if like most stations it was only putting one side of issues even if it was the side I was more drawn to , they have proper left wing and right wing leaning people given the time and space to debate they’re views , the same on what’s loosely called culture war issues , I hear lots that I both agree and disagree with , that can only be a good thing ,

it is very quickly gaining viewer numbers despite all the hurdles put in its way , it outstrips sky news and plenty others for numbers already πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Β 

3 hours ago, Archied said:

They actually do have that balance of debate and subject matter, I get a bit of stick on here for defending it but I can tell you I would get bored very very quickly if like most stations it was only putting one side of issues even if it was the side I was more drawn to , they have proper left wing and right wing leaning people given the time and space to debate they’re views , the same on what’s loosely called culture war issues , I hear lots that I both agree and disagree with , that can only be a good thing

Yet it's just another monetisation of the culture wars. They quickly realised that having only right-wing views just led to a nice pool of satisfied bigots, but zero engagement. Get some conflicting voices on there and give those viewers someone to argue with - that's the model I guess. It's still a right-wing channel though, all the presenters are coming from that angle. So many Tory MPs presenting shows now it'll probably have to go off air when the next election purdah period kicks inΒ πŸ˜‚

Anyway - wildly off-topic there so back on to X

I saw that Musk now wants to diversify X into being a new financial product that replaces bank accounts for people.

Who here would trust X.com with their money???

18 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yet it's just another monetisation of the culture wars. They quickly realised that having only right-wing views just led to a nice pool of satisfied bigots, but zero engagement. Get some conflicting voices on there and give those viewers someone to argue with - that's the model I guess. It's still a right-wing channel though, all the presenters are coming from that angle. So many Tory MPs presenting shows now it'll probably have to go off air when the next election purdah period kicks inΒ πŸ˜‚

I saw that Musk now wants to diversify X into being a new financial product that replaces bank accounts for people.

Yep I’ve been very open regards presenting staff having an overly right leaning bias but as I say the left is very well represented by some very intelligent panelist’s who give as good as they get but more than that present very good well reasoned opposition,

I like it because so often it challenges populist right thinking , around trans issues it has allowed a real sensitive well thought out debate on trans v majority rights and at least is looking to find middle ground and understanding to build on πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ,

so many slightly left leaning platforms just shout down rightish or majority leaning concerns , you get nowhere that way and just sow division and fear which in my view is the breeding ground for hate,

Its far perfect but it’s a step in the right directionΒ 

Edited by Archied

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Nat West Alison Rose resigned for breaching the banking code when cancelling Farage account. Basic error for any banking employee.

Alison previously been awarded a DBE and gold medal from the Chartered Management Institute for her services to the banking industry.

CO-OP Bank nearly went bust in 2013 with ill fated takeover plus chairman involved in sex and drug scandal banned from banking industry 2018

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cma-takes-action-against-the-co-operative-bank-for-breaching-part-3-and-article-56-of-the-retail-banking-order#:~:text=The Co-operative Bank has now taken steps to end,CMA on 31 January 2023.

US banking crisis 2023. Three banks collapsed.Β 

https://www.marketplace.org/2023/03/17/the-banking-crisis-what-you-actually-need-to-know/

But I should be worried about X.com new financial products?Β 

Edited by cstand

10 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

You mean the X.com that was originally a bank, set-up by Musk and then later changed its name to PayPal?

59 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

So not only are you content to have all your data with Musk, now you want to give him all your money to look after too? 🀣

The worse part is I still bank with the CO-OP even though I have highlighted their past problems. πŸ˜…

Its not doing my far right image any good being with an ethical bank for 30 years so might have to change soon. πŸ˜€

The only customer lead ethical bank in the UK according to their marketing.Β 
https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/assets/pdf/bank/aboutus/ethicalpolicy/ethical-policy.pdf

Edited by cstand

On 05/12/2023 at 19:20, Comrade 86 said:

So not only are you content to have all your data with Musk, now you want to give him all your money to look after too? 🀣

If you seriously think I would give Musk or anyone else all my retirement lump sum then you have lost the plot.Β 
It’s all being divided into several accounts all paying 5% interest rate.

On 05/12/2023 at 20:19, cstand said:

The worse part is I still bank with the CO-OP even though I have highlighted their past problems. πŸ˜…

Its not doing my far right image any good being with an ethical bank for 30 years so might have to change soon. πŸ˜€

The only customer lead ethical bank in the UK according to their marketing.Β 
https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/assets/pdf/bank/aboutus/ethicalpolicy/ethical-policy.pdf

Nottingham Building society are doing a fixed interest account community saver. Pays 5.1% and will donate up to Β£25K to homeless charities. Branch only account.Β 
https://www.thenottingham.com/savings/products/community-saver/

Plus easy access account 2.65% Branch only account.Β 

Edited by cstand

1 hour ago, David said:

For anyone unaware, Grok is Elon Musk's AI alternative to ChatGPT

Can you hear that?

That's the noise of Grok's lead engineers, packing up their desks and heading for the exit. Publicly, he'll try to laugh it off, but you just know how much this will actually infuriate him. God I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the resulting zoom meeting. I'd mute the mic obvsΒ πŸ˜‚

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

AI learns from the Internet. The Internet hates Musk. No surprises there.Β 

I think it's funnier that he bought twitter to fight against the woke mind virus, and his AI turns out to be woke.Β 

Screenshot_20231211_120729_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231211_120742_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231211_120752_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231211_120805_Chrome.jpg

It's like the rise of Skynet, only the machines aren't trying to wipe out humanity, they're trying to make Musk look a massive t***Β πŸ˜‚