Style over Substance?

Style over Substance?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've seen a few comments about the type of players we should be signing, the type of players we are signing, and what that means for our playing style and formation.

It got me curious as to what fans really want. In a perfect world we are amazing and play amazing football, but we don't live in a perfect world. So given the choice what would you prefer?

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta
Typo.

I’m not the biggest fan of Pep’s tika-taka stylings, but I didn’t think much to Rowett’s hoof ball either.  I really struggle to understand what people find ugly about Warne-Ball.  We still play out from the back where possible, but if it needs clearing to the flanks, we clear it to the flanks.  There was plenty of times under Rosinior when we played ourselves into trouble, 20 yards from goal.  

I’d happily watch us score goals like our 2nd & 3rd from yesterday, for the rest of the season. 

I don’t think you’ll get unattractive football. Think the pole is loaded.

Warne ball is ok. It’s isn’t fancy Dan play out from the back wannabe prem ( which is unlikely to work in L1)

its mix and match, pragmatic, within the skill set of the players available. It isn’t and doesn’t want to be hoofball.

I’m going with the flow and not getting in to polarised us and them games which are counter productive 

Warne’s football is predicated on chaos - it’s fast football, high energy and involves getting the ball in the box as quickly as possible. Not sure how that’s even construed as negative in the slightest. Rosenior stressed ball retention, which is why some games involved Cashin having 100+ passes, but Warne is all about moving the ball while the opposition isn’t settled. It’s a solid philopsy. My own gripe has been with the lack of pragmatism at times - the Peterborough game last season was a great example, complete and utter dominance yet we get caught out from our own corner and within two passes we’re 1-0 down. I’m fairly sure we had a run of three games conceding from our own corner. Too much caution can be thrown to the wind IMO. 

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Warne’s football is predicated on chaos - it’s fast football, high energy and involves getting the ball in the box as quickly as possible. Not sure how that’s even construed as negative in the slightest. Rosenior stressed ball retention, which is why some games involved Cashin having 100+ passes, but Warne is all about moving the ball while the opposition isn’t settled. It’s a solid philopsy. My own gripe has been with the lack of pragmatism at times - the Peterborough game last season was a great example, complete and utter dominance yet we get caught out from our own corner and within two passes we’re 1-0 down. I’m fairly sure we had a run of three games conceding from our own corner. Too much caution can be thrown to the wind IMO. 

We were very consistent under Billy Davies in 2006/07 yet the McClaren season in 2013/14 was more memorable and entertaining in my opinion. I like the idea that we go out to win and fancy ourselves as being better than the opposition rather than try and stop them and use gamesmanship. I like Warne and think we will go up this season but I dread the timewasting we will do when away at Carlisle to hang on to a 1 nil lead. 

10 hours ago, Rev said:

What a pointless and divisive poll.

You can have attractive football with consistent results, and inconsistent results from unattractive football, whatever that is, it's not a simple either/or.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.

Indeed, I didn't really enjoy last season as I found games a bit boring - too much chaos as @Ambitious says for my liking - constant turnover, lack of control of possession and play, just kick and rush and percentage football. That can be effective if a little more thought and game management went into it all, but it didn't and it wasn't. 

Maybe with the players he's brought in, this season will be better. The signs pre-season are positive.

10 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I’m not the biggest fan of Pep’s tika-taka stylings, but I didn’t think much to Rowett’s hoof ball either.  I really struggle to understand what people find ugly about Warne-Ball.  We still play out from the back where possible, but if it needs clearing to the flanks, we clear it to the flanks.  There was plenty of times under Rosinior when we played ourselves into trouble, 20 yards from goal.  

I’d happily watch us score goals like our 2nd & 3rd from yesterday, for the rest of the season. 

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'm not a fan of tika-taka either and agree re: Roseniors' style of play - I understood the philosophy, just found it boring. PW has a proven formula for getting out of L1 so I'm happy to back him regardless of the style of play he employs to get us back to the Championship.

Just now, Raich Carter said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'm not a fan of tika-taka either and agree re: Roseniors' style of play - I understood the philosophy, just found it boring. PW has a proven formula for getting out of L1 so I'm happy to back him regardless of the style of play he employs to get us back to the Championship.

That style of football works, just not sure if it does at this level. The players aren't good enough, both on the ball and off it. It turned into static, slow, deliberate passing for the sake of it. Lack of movement off the ball or quickness of thought to utilise the opening when it was there.

That said, as much as I appreciated the old Barcelona teams and Man City, I did find them more boring to watch compared to the likes of a Klopp Liverpool. City better this past year with the introduction of Haaland meaning they've adapted their style a bit.

Don’t understand this Warne plays hoofball dross I read. Also Warne ball is 10x more exciting to watch than Rosenior. Yes it may not be as pretty or technical. But someone beating a man down the line and whipping a great cross in is more exciting to watch that keeping the ball 90% if the time in your own half 

I don't get this theory that "attractive passing football doesn't work in League 1" 

22/23: Ipswich and Plymouth played attractive football and got promoted. Wednesday similar to us, but a bit quicker and more passes per sequence, got promoted.

21/22: Wigan and Sunderland went up playing decent passing football, Warne's Rotherham got promoted with high tempo pressing but barley any passing.

20/21: Hull, Blackpool and Peterborough all played passing football - promoted.

19/20: The last season where "unattractive" football got promoted, with Coventry going up playing passing football, Rotherham and Wycombe playing "unattractive" football.

26 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I don't get this theory that "attractive passing football doesn't work in League 1" 

22/23: Ipswich and Plymouth played attractive football and got promoted. Wednesday similar to us, but a bit quicker and more passes per sequence, got promoted.

21/22: Wigan and Sunderland went up playing decent passing football, Warne's Rotherham got promoted with high tempo pressing but barley any passing.

20/21: Hull, Blackpool and Peterborough all played passing football - promoted.

19/20: The last season where "unattractive" football got promoted, with Coventry going up playing passing football, Rotherham and Wycombe playing "unattractive" football.

No one played as slow and static as we were set up though, which is the argument. Ipswich may have kept the ball better, but nothing about them could be labelled "tika taka".

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

No one played as slow and static as we were set up though, which is the argument. Ipswich may have kept the ball better, but nothing about them could be labelled "tika taka".

It worked though. We managed to beat West Brom, Barnsley, Peterborough and Wycombe playing passing football. We only beat Bolton and Charlton in 15 games against top half teams playing "unattractive football." 

4 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

It worked though. We managed to beat West Brom, Barnsley, Peterborough and Wycombe playing passing football. We only beat Bolton and Charlton in 15 games against top half teams playing "unattractive football." 

Pointless argument the whole "we beat teams from x point in the table". Prime example just from those you listed, Barnsley were horrendous in the early part of the season. Can't just equate final positions from where a team were at the time and the form they were in. It's just tedious and erroneous.

6 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Good point. We struggled against most of the top teams last season.

We haven't really improved the quality further up the pitch so that may be a trend that continues. Only argument to counter that is that there are more s*** teams than good this coming season. So long as we batter all of them we will be in decent shape