Style over Substance?

Style over Substance?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

Don’t understand this Warne plays hoofball dross I read. Also Warne ball is 10x more exciting to watch than Rosenior. Yes it may not be as pretty or technical. But someone beating a man down the line and whipping a great cross in is more exciting to watch that keeping the ball 90% if the time in your own half 

from an excitement perspective I wouldn't disagree if we had a forward in the box challenging for the cross. So many crosses went into the box last season where there wasn't a forward of ours within 10 yards of where the ball was going. No different to aimlessly passing it across the back.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Indeed, I didn't really enjoy last season as I found games a bit boring - too much chaos as @Ambitious says for my liking - constant turnover, lack of control of possession and play, just kick and rush and percentage football. That can be effective if a little more thought and game management went into it all, but it didn't and it wasn't. 

Maybe with the players he's brought in, this season will be better. The signs pre-season are positive.

I haven't watched anything other than the highlights this season. I agree with your first para, and hope that you are the money with your second. COYR!!

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Pointless argument the whole "we beat teams from x point in the table". Prime example just from those you listed, Barnsley were horrendous in the early part of the season. Can't just equate final positions from where a team were at the time and the form they were in. It's just tedious and erroneous.

I mean that's completely false and made up. Their first game of the season they lost to Plymouth away, the eventual champions. Then, they beat Cheltenham and then Middlesbrough away in the cup, pretty much exactly the same as us. Within a few games after playing us, they'd drawn with Ipswich away and beaten Wednesday 2-0 away.

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

Don’t understand this Warne plays hoofball dross I read.

Don't understand this dross I read about people saying Warne plays hoofball.

Divisive tedious nonsense. A term used 10x more often than it is to defend Warne than by anyone actually being critical,  and to make out that anyone who's not 100% convinced with his style is some kind of idiot who doesn't understand what his style is.

Edited by Kokosnuss

32 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I mean that's completely false and made up. Their first game of the season they lost to Plymouth away, the eventual champions. Then, they beat Cheltenham and then Middlesbrough away in the cup, pretty much exactly the same as us. Within a few games after playing us, they'd drawn with Ipswich away and beaten Wednesday 2-0 away.

Let's just agree to disagree then. At the end of August, baring in mind we played them on the 13th, they were 16th with 7 points from 6 games. They were not the same team that finished the season. Objectively, taking the final table and projecting that across the full season like time, form, transfer windows, injuries, confidence etc all doesn't fluctuate as to when exactly you play each other, is just a false science.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Objectively, taking the final table and projecting that across the full season like time, form, transfer windows, injuries, confidence etc all doesn't fluctuate as to when exactly you play each other, is just a false science.

I'd argue Rosenior had the shorter straw too, as Didzy was injured for the first few games and could only get 60 minutes out of him afterwards, as well as having to play Stearman at CB as Davies was injured.

22 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I'd argue Rosenior had the shorter straw too, as Didzy was injured for the first few games and could only get 60 minutes out of him afterwards, as well as having to play Stearman at CB as Davies was injured.

Of course, not saying he wouldn't have issues - new squad, time to gel, shortened pre-season almost. Works both ways.

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

from an excitement perspective I wouldn't disagree if we had a forward in the box challenging for the cross. So many crosses went into the box last season where there wasn't a forward of ours within 10 yards of where the ball was going. No different to aimlessly passing it across the back.

7 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'm not a fan of tika-taka either and agree re: Roseniors' style of play - I understood the philosophy, just found it boring. PW has a proven formula for getting out of L1 so I'm happy to back him regardless of the style of play he employs to get us back to the Championship.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to sit week in, week out watching King Bill-eh's 10 men behind the ball after we'd scored or, Rowett's keep things tight 'til Vydra get's a goal styles, so I think we all want to be entertained.  I just really struggle to understand how anyone thinks Warne's desired way of playing is boring.  I'd much rather sit through 90 minutes of AC/DC than an hour and a half of Michael Buble'...

Edited by ramsbottom

55 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I just really struggle to understand how anyone thinks Warne's desired way of playing is boring. 

It boils down to how well the team implement it.   It's boring when we have no control and can't string 3 passes together.  When we were on it at times last season it was a joy to watch.

On 23/07/2023 at 15:37, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I've seen a few comments about the type of players we should be signing, the type of players we are signing, and what that means for our playing style and formation.

It got me curious as to what fans really want. In a perfect world we are amazing and play amazing football, but we don't live in a perfect world. So given the choice what would you prefer?

if we play ugly and win and get out of div1 this next season, then Warne will be forgiven for last year’s failure. But if that is his approach and we do go up, we’ll need a new manager and that won’t happen quickly. So most likely we’d have a season or two languishing in the nether regions of the championship before he’s replaced

I suppose excitement for me is proportional to the amount of time we have the ball in the final third and of course when we stick it in (reading all that back I want to add a Kenneth Williams gif).

With a direct style of play the ball will quickly be turned over, as a result we will lose out on our possession stats. When we had Davies and Rowett Championship teams would enjoy more possession meaning we'd sit around watching them coming after us, and us winning by an odd goal with no means to hold onto the ball once we got that lead. 

I dont think many league one teams will generally look to dominate possession against us at the risk of leaving themselves exposed. The optimist in me hopes that that results in us still enjoying possession but with our direct style (not hoofball) more of it is spent in that final third, in turn meaning more excitement.

Gotta love preseason optimism, I'll be booing everyone by October...

14 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

if we play ugly and win and get out of div1 this next season, then Warne will be forgiven for last year’s failure. But if that is his approach and we do go up, we’ll need a new manager and that won’t happen quickly. So most likely we’d have a season or two languishing in the nether regions of the championship before he’s replaced

Do you really believe he needs forgiving for last season?

Warne's way has worked for Rotherham in League One.

It's stepping up to the Championship I have the biggest concern about. He's failed to keep Rotherham up every time they've been promoted (had some very bad luck I admit). Naturally this will raise doubts if his style works in the next division. 

If he has a healthier budget when we do gain promotion though, hopefully with those additional funds he could build a far stronger squad than he ever had at Rotherham.

First and foremost, I want Derby County to win games it's as simple as that.

How we get those results, I don't mind as long as we're putting the ball in the net more times than the opposition.

It's a sport, if you're not in it to win, then what's the point?

As a neutral watching a game on Sky, where I have no vested interest in the game, I want to watch entertaining football, Liverpool.

Whilst I can appreciate what Man City are doing, how they dominate games, I personally don't find it that entertaining.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and many on here will enjoy that type of football.