Style over Substance?

Style over Substance?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You can look at the replies to the behind closed doors friendly against Huddersfield. Pretty much all the comments are asking for the score, I haven’t seen any asking about how we played.

Whether people like to admit it or not, the result is the most important thing. There’s other things that contribute towards how you feel about a game afterwards, but I’ll always feel better after an undeserved 1-0 win than I will a brilliant performance where a team has s********* us to a 1-0 defeat.

I haven't voted because the options are too polarised.

However, I would obviously prefer to see us winning playing attractive football. I was a bit fed up during Rowett's run to the playoffs, for example, because I knew those players were capable of so much better! 

I thought Warne would play much more pragmatic football than he has so far, tbh. But I did see some great attacking moves and not as much spoiling of play as I expected last season. We didn't really have those sort of players, thankfully. When we did resort to hoofball it was because we didn't have the speed of play yo break down an opponent.

This season my expectations aren't set to one sort of style or another. I think we'll be set up to defend leads etc and will therefore expect a bit less artistry at times. But as long as we have a team with Bird, Hourihane,  Mendez-Laing in it, we're going to see some football being played on the deck, so I'm not too worried.

I really like the fast transitions, and don't feel the need to moan when this sort of play breaks down, because I can see what we're trying to do. 

I think we’ve been guilty of overcomplicating things at times. 

We were at our best when we played wall passes round the opposition and got the ball into the box early.

The quicker the pass, the more effective the attack.

As the Jam would have it, that’s entertainment.