Bradley Johnson….U21s Player/coach

Caerphilly Ram

1 hour ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Good. I liked him as a player and felt his contribution was a bit under rated by the fans because of how he arrived.

Nothing to do with how he arrived, he was just genuinely bloody awful in his first season.

While it wasn't his fault he was brought into a club who'd clearly not watched him play the season before and proceeded to throw him into a completely different role, it absolutely was his fault that he constantly made stupid decisions by not understanding his own limitations as a footballer, which saw him lose possession and put his own team in danger an ungodly amount of times, whilst repeatedly failing to track his man defensively to the point that whenever he was on the pitch he posed more danger to his own team than the opposition (sometimes literally, with a few of the hospital passes!)

McLaren came in and managed to simplify things for him, and when we had that good run he played his part well... then the bad run came and started to go back toward being the frustrating player who'd earlier stank up the place. Thankfully, he never got there and in came Rowett.

He was decent enough from then-on, once he'd come to understand the things he couldn't do; never brilliant but a good squad player who'd recovered from a terrible start and repaired his reputation.

Very happy to see him back in his new role.

Edited by Kokosnuss

That's a turn-up for the books. Glad to see him back at Derby City! (it had to be done - and it already has on Wikipedia :D)

And apparently a player/coach so guess he'll be on the bench for some games or depending on how he trains, he might have a swansong season.

Edited by Raich Carter

Was never a fan of him as a player and never struck me as the most intelligent player.

competitive sure , strong yer, could shield the back line well enough, not with the know how that johnny eustace would or the grace the gorgeous george did. But he was ok after we realised he was crap as a left half. 

makes me wonder why we binned off daz waz 

51 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Nothing to do with how he arrived, he was just genuinely bloody awful in his first season.

While it wasn't his fault he was brought into a club who'd clearly not watched him play the season before and proceeded to throw him into a completely different role, it absolutely was his fault that he constantly made stupid decisions by not understanding his own limitations as a footballer, which saw him lose possession and put his own team in danger an ungodly amount of times, whilst repeatedly failing to track his man defensively to the point that whenever he was on the pitch he posed more danger to his own team than the opposition (sometimes literally, with a few of the hospital passes!)

McLaren came in and managed to simplify things for him, and when we had that good run he played his part well... then the bad run came and started to go back toward being the frustrating player who'd earlier stank up the place. Thankfully, he never got there and in came Rowett.

He was decent enough from then-on, once he'd come to understand the things he couldn't do; never brilliant but a good squad player who'd recovered from a terrible start and repaired his reputation.

Very happy to see him back in his new role.

He came to us on the back of a promotion with norwich where somehow they sold us the notion he was a wide left.

he was neither quick, tricky or could put in a good ball.

we eventually reinvented him centrally where his physical power was made use of

but jesus it was a lot of money for a bit of muscle in the middle of the park, when other teams were picking up as good and better for way way less 

Surprised he's going to be a coach when he was by far the least technically gifted of any player in the Derby squad during his era. But at 36 he's probably losing his physical gifts quickly, and doesn't have skill/technique to fall back on, so I imagine playing is an uphill struggle.

Perhaps those who can, do, and those who can't, teach?

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Surprised he's going to be a coach when he was by far the least technically gifted of any player in the Derby squad during his era. But at 36 he's probably losing his physical gifts quickly, and doesn't have skill/technique to fall back on, so I imagine playing is an uphill struggle.

Perhaps those who can, do, and those who can't, teach?

How come you're not teaching then? 😘

8 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Not a fan of this

For me, he encapsulates the Mel Morris era. 

And calls the club Derby city, seems a odd appointment. Surely Fozzy would be a better fit? 

Bradley has a FIFA A licence for coaching , has been coaching our youngsters part time since and after his playing time at DCFC. He has ambitions to be a coach so seems a great fit. 
Not sure if Fozzy has any coaching badges or wants to be one ? I’m sure if Fozzy wants to be there will be room for both.  
Hourihane is also doing part time coaching at Villa .

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Spelling

Odd one this.

Would have thought he'd have had offers from League 1 or 2, surprised to see him wind down his career in this fashion, didn't realise he was involved in the coaching side of things.

He could probably offer a decent back up option for the first team if we get a few injuries, would certainly offer us some of the physicality we sometimes lack. 

Despite his faux pas when joining us, he seemed a likeable chap who always gave 100% even if he fell short ability-wise.

Didn't seem to have the best attitude at times, but sounds like he's been taking coaching seriously.

I'm sure he has some knowledge to pass on, and knowing the club, players and so on should be advantageous.

Whilst I'm sure he can offer guidance on the pitch, I don't really want to see him playing over Radciffe, Robinson or Thompson.

Also, I understand Davies wanted to play on, but couldn't we have just kept him or Stears for this?

Interesting to read comments that connect Bradley as a player to Bradley the coach. If history tells us anything the two things have very little connection.

Didn't like him as a player but that's actually pretty irrelevant. If he's taking it seriously and the judgement is that he has talent and a coach, he has my backing. Welcome back to Rams United.

43 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Bradley has a FIFA A licence for coaching , has been coaching our youngsters part time since and after his playing time at DCFC. He has ambitions to be a coach so seems a great fit. 
Not sure if Fozzy has any coaching badges or wants to be one ? I’m sure if Fozzy wants to be there will be room for both.  
Hourihane is also doing part time coaching at Villa .

Yeah that's a fair point of view

Just find it a bit odd to remove wassall and this be the route we take