Lewis Dobbin

Rample

Interesting bit of text in a Dobbin to Portsmouth article.

"The News understands Everton left-sided talent Lewis Dobbin was under consideration, but the contribution to the 20-year-old’s wages is beyond Pompey’s budget for the position.

Also the club’s football operation view what it would have taken to bring in the former Derby loanee as not representing decent value in that area of the pitch."

How much do Everton actually think he's worth? After a hit and miss season here is he suddenly seen as league one cheat code?

He's lively in fits and starts but I'm not convinced anyone is going to pay much to take him off their hands - a decent loan would do Everton more good in the long term than a few grand a week.

Strangely enough though I can see him actually making the bench at Everton at some point this season as things are going there at the moment.

The way I read it, I don't think Everton are asking any more than we paid last year, it's more that Pompey don't think the return we got from him was worth what we paid for him, and they aren't prepared to do the same.  And it looks like we think the same, seeing as there's not been any suggestion, that I've seen anyway, of him returning here.

49 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The way I read it, I don't think Everton are asking any more than we paid last year, it's more that Pompey don't think the return we got from him was worth what we paid for him, and they aren't prepared to do the same.  And it looks like we think the same, seeing as there's not been any suggestion, that I've seen anyway, of him returning here.

He ain't worth it based on his limitations .

58 minutes ago, Magicman said:

I’d suggest his strengths and weaknesses are well known to us and to Warne.
What none of us lot know is the price, so you can’t say if he’s “worth it” with any degree of accuracy. We also don’t know if Dobs wants to come back, or indeed if Warne is interested at all. 

The only thing we know for sure is that you don’t like him. Your views from an analytical perspective tend to have, what was that word ? Oh yes ! “limitations” 🤣 😘

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

He's worth it just for the way he changed the game away at Port Vale - probably the highlight of the season and it's all thanks to him.

NB: I do appreciate that he can aldo be pants and beyond - as someone once said about him "he can be world class and non-league in the same move". That's Dobbin.

2 minutes ago, jono said:

I’d suggest his strengths and weaknesses are well known to us and to Warne.
What none of us lot know is the price, so you can’t say if he’s “worth it” with any degree of accuracy. We also don’t know if Dobs wants to come back, or indeed if Warne is interested at all. 

The only thing we know for sure is that you don’t like him. Your views from an analytical perspective tend to have, what was that word ? Oh yes ! “limitations” 🤣 😘

Well unless they pay us and we don't have to play him then the price is too high! Come on we've probably got as good as him in our own Academy.

3 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Weren't we prohibited from paying loan fees last season? Paying less than we paid last season would be difficult.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

He's worth it just for the way he changed the game away at Port Vale - probably the highlight of the season and it's all thanks to him.

NB: I do appreciate that he can aldo be pants and beyond - as someone once said about him "he can be world class and non-league in the same move". That's Dobbin.

Totally agree. Some of his shooting was wayward to say the least. That said he is young, has pace to burn and isn’t afraid to get a shot off. Even amongst the banjo and barn door ones there were some curlers that weren’t that far away from being epic. It’s fine margins. I don’t think he is top drawer but he has attributes that are assets in L1 and could develop. He improved the more he played. He’s a threat, I wouldn’t sing from the roof tops if he came back but I’d be more than comfortable seeing in the side / on the bench. 

7 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Weren't we prohibited from paying loan fees last season? Paying less than we paid last season would be difficult.

We were still paying his wages.  He signed a new contract at Everton in Jan 2022, having already played for their first-team, so he was probably on fairly decent money (for his age, status etc), of which we would have been paying some proportion.  Obviously we have no idea what those wages (or the proportion of them) were, but in terms of how often he actually affected games, was he worth £3k a week? £5k? £7k?  Probably not if he's towards the higher end of that list.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Totally agree. Some of his shooting was wayward to say the least. That said he is young, has pace to burn and isn’t afraid to get a shot off. Even amongst the banjo and barn door ones there were some curlers that weren’t that far away from being epic. It’s fine margins. I don’t think he is top drawer but he has attributes that are assets in L1 and could develop. He improved the more he played. He’s a threat, I wouldn’t sing from the roof tops if he came back but I’d be more than comfortable seeing in the side / on the bench. 

I've said this before but I watched him bang in shot after shot in the warm-ups, home and away. 

If he can find that sort of composure during a game as his career develops,  he's going to be some player. 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I've said this before but I watched him bang in shot after shot in the warm-ups, home and away. 

If he can find that sort of composure during a game as his career develops,  he's going to be some player. 

Too right Angie. What @magicman just can’t acknowledge is young players are raw clay. It doesn’t take much to throw it right, to form it to see the glaze in its fired state. 
The more I think about it the more I’d like to see him grow with us. His touch isn’t a natural’s but he’s got something that could work for us.

1 minute ago, jono said:

Too right Angie. What @magicman just can’t acknowledge is young players are raw clay. It doesn’t take much to throw it right, to form it to see the glaze in its fired state. 
The more I think about it the more I’d like to see him grow with us. His touch isn’t a natural’s but he’s got something that could work for us.

200.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a bit of the game, Dobbin played ok and got himself about. Bolton were comfortably the better team in the game and generally looked quite good. Everton need a lot of work to stay out of trouble this season - Ashley Young as their only signing isn't a brilliant start! 

33 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I watched a bit of the game, Dobbin played ok and got himself about. Bolton were comfortably the better team in the game and generally looked quite good. Everton need a lot of work to stay out of trouble this season - Ashley Young as their only signing isn't a brilliant start! 

Danjuma?