Lewis Dobbin

Rample

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Are you deliberately 'triggering' @Magicman?

Perhaps. 😄

I just think for all those who'd rather give another teams youngsters a place, it should be considered that we have some of our own, and it can take a good few seasons to see how these players will turn out - at our cost. Will Dobbin ever change his spots? More importantly would we have the time to wait to find out?

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Perhaps. 😄

I just think for all those who'd rather give another teams youngsters a place, it should be considered that we have some of our own, and it can take a good few seasons to see how these players will turn out - at our cost. Will Dobbin ever change his spots? More importantly would we have the time to wait to find out?

I’ve an open mind on this but certainly I’d like to see Brown and others on the bench on match days. Almost want there to be an academy spot every week so they can be blooded if the circumstances permit. 

On 26/07/2023 at 12:39, RoyMac5 said:

Perhaps. 😄

I do partly agree RoyMac5, but out of the loans we've had then Dobbin would be one I would take back for this season.  He would be more hardened to League 1 and a little older/stronger/wiser.  I accept that ultimately you are developing other teams players for them, whilst taking advantage of their ability to progress as a club.  

I am sure we would all much prefer it to be one of our own, but as we know I don't think we currently have that quality further down at present, after us losing so many of those very talented youngsters, but it's a fine balance as you have to have a pathway to the first team open to youngsters - which I think we always have.

The laws of the loan system needs to be changed, but for now, Dobbin would be welcomed back at Derby for me.

Cheers 

Gangway D from the Terrace

Just now, GangwayD said:

I do partly agree RoyMac5, but out of the loans we've had then Dobbin would be one I would take back for this season.  He would be more hardened to League 1 and a little older/stronger/wiser.  I accept that ultimately you are developing other teams players for them, whilst taking advantage of their ability to progress as a club.  

I am sure we would all much prefer it to be one of our own, but as we know I don't think we currently have that quality further down at present, after us losing so many of those very talented youngsters, but it's a fine balance as you have to have a pathway to the first team open to youngsters - which I think we always have.

The laws of the loan system needs to be changed, but for now, Dobbin would be welcomed back at Derby for me.

Cheers 

No way the lads still too raw for us.

1 hour ago, GangwayD said:

Cheers 

Plus, if you sign a player on loan you fill a gap for a year while our own players develop, maybe on loan in L2.  Sign someone permanently and you block their path for the next 3 years or so and they ultimately leave.

As for Dobbin, last season was his first playing mens football.  He’s bound to be raw and learning, that’s why he went to us in L1 and not a lower PL or Championship team.  I’d have him back as he’s a good option and I thought he was a good impact sub.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Osula and dobbin playing in the prem hope they do well but can't believe they've improved that much in a few months 

I wouldn't be entirely surprised. Their respective coaches think they're good enough for the matchday squad, which they clearly didn't last year and you do see some kids improve exponentially for some experience of senior football. Both have a deal of promise based on what we saw IMO, though both obviously still raw talents rather than more finished articles. I think Osula just needed game time, to be honest. A couple of quiet games and he was done. 

6 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I wouldn't be entirely surprised. Their respective coaches think they're good enough for the matchday squad, which they clearly didn't last year and you do see some kids improve exponentially for some experience of senior football. Both have a deal of promise based on what we saw IMO, though both obviously still raw talents rather than more finished articles. I think Osula just needed game time, to be honest. A couple of quiet games and he was done. 

Don’t think Everton have much other choice ATM do they? Limited money to spend and needing to get players out the club.

2 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Don’t think Everton have much other choice ATM do they? Limited money to spend and needing to get players out the club.

Well there's some value in that argument, but they're not in such a bad place that they have to throw any kid out there on the pitch. We know what a bad place looks like (start of last season trying to assemble enough players to put out a team) and I don't think they're there yet, or even particularly close. I'd like to think that there's some chance it could be at least partially on merit, rather than dismissing the notion completely.

18 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Springett getting minutes for Norwich as well

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Sorting out autocorrect

1 hour ago, Mick Brolly said:

Osula and dobbin playing in the prem hope they do well but can't believe they've improved that much in a few months 

Sheff Untd down to the bear bones so using Osula, Everton had 2/3 injuries at Villa and Dobbin fills in, Both nowhere good enough but both available to play in the EPL...how many subs in the EPL...9🤷‍♂️

Sheff Utd will be relegated, Everton will struggle they were shocking today at Villa