Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

1 hour ago, sage said:

Not his best season but again look at the points per game, with and without him.

Didn’t Bird’s injury coincide with the defeats at Wycome, Barnsley and Plymouth? I’m pretty sure he missed them all and was half fit for the subsequent defeats to Posh, Fleetwood and Ipswich too.

That run cost us a playoff spot.

But I’m not sure if Bird being fit would have made any difference. Our record under Warne against the top teams was atrocious regardless.

1 hour ago, McMuffin said:

Yeah might have! 
To be fair all the talk of him leaving there’s only really been Bristol linked. 
Maybe he likes it at Derby so unless one of the top championship clubs come in maybe he will actually stay. 
Warne loves him and despise what comments have come out from the Ireland gaffer he keeps picking him to start so no worry’s on being left out if he stays.

He has a price to stay (i.e. low bids) and a price to leave (high ones).  If the bids are low, he probably stays; if high, see you later. 

I have a theory, and it is only a theory, that we are allowed to make transfers for any monies brought in for transfers - nil sum game.  

1 minute ago, CBX1985 said:

He has a price to stay (i.e. low bids) and a price to leave (high ones).  If the bids are low, he probably stays; if high, see you later. 

I have a theory, and it is only a theory, that we are allowed to make transfers for any monies brought in for transfers - nil sum game.  

I've suspected that for a while, with some leeway on wage savings that could be added to fees. 

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Didn’t Bird’s injury coincide with the defeats at Wycome, Barnsley and Plymouth? I’m pretty sure he missed them all and was half fit for the subsequent defeats to Posh, Fleetwood and Ipswich too.

That run cost us a playoff spot.

But I’m not sure if Bird being fit would have made any difference. Our record under Warne against the top teams was atrocious regardless.

Having a fit Bird could potentially have made that a different record.

He does the work that is unseen by many 

10 minutes ago, sage said:

Having a fit Bird could potentially have made that a different record.

He does the work that is unseen by many 

Agree with this. Bird was an essential part of our good run, not a coincidence that we dropped off when he was injured (not the only factor). I don't think he/we have quite worked out what kind of midfielder he is and I'm not sure we have the right balance in the middle of the park. 

I hope we keep Knight and figure out how to get the best out of him. Could be his future lies at RWB.

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Take away Hourihane's set pieces and he's on 5 assists from open play vs Bird's 6. With the addition of Ward and others still to join, Hourihane's influence over set pieces will diminish. I still believe Sibley take better corners too.

Bird is much better defensively, actually managed to assists more than Hourihane from open play in less minutes, and retains possession better.

Bird's still only 22, whislt Hourihane is 32. If we do sign another CM, as the season progresses, Hourihane's minutes should decrease as we build for the future.

the elephant in the room is hourihane’s salary 

1 hour ago, RodleyRam said:

Could be his future lies at RWB.

Isn’t that some of the issue? He did pretty well at RWB last year, but didn’t seem particularly enamoured with the thought of being played there long-term when interviewed.

1 hour ago, DiggerB said:

Isn’t that some of the issue? He did pretty well at RWB last year, but didn’t seem particularly enamoured with the thought of being played there long-term when interviewed.

Am I wrong in thinking that he's been deployed there by Ireland too? I could easily be. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him smash it at centre-mid - I guess I'm just greedily wanting more end product from him there.

2 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Am I wrong in thinking that he's been deployed there by Ireland too? I could easily be. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him smash it at centre-mid - I guess I'm just greedily wanting more end product from him there.

Think he’s been shifted around a few positions for RoI, hasn’t he? Perhaps the pull of playing for his country is such, and the opportunity relatively so few that he’s prepared to suck it up. Suspect week-to-week his preference is to play more centrally. Of course, I may be spouting nonsense and he might be prepared to stay in L1 being shifted round the pitch and filling in where needed, in the hope we get promoted this year.

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Have we had any money for Ebeowei yet ?

I don't believe so, that's the problem with going to a tribunal - the money isn't readily available despite the player moving on. 

It's why team's will low-ball you when they take your player at the end of contract. I think Palace offered something like £30k (or something equally as daft) for Ebiowei which is why we took it to a tribunal. I don't expect we will get much from it anyway - £250k/300k -would be the height of my expectation. 

3 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Agree with this. Bird was an essential part of our good run, not a coincidence that we dropped off when he was injured (not the only factor). I don't think he/we have quite worked out what kind of midfielder he is and I'm not sure we have the right balance in the middle of the park. 

I hope we keep Knight and figure out how to get the best out of him. Could be his future lies at RWB.

He'll continue to be a utility player for us. Predominantly CM (rotation with Bird and Hourihane), backup to Ward at RWB, and filling in at SS (based on the availability of Sibley, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen and a new signing)

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

You mean the wages we were limited to last season? c£8-10k/w if memory serves

I remember reading £11k being the limit, but could be wrong- I suspect Hourihane is on that or thereabouts. He justified that with his G/A alone though so not overly unhappy with him being one of the highest earners

Just now, YorkshireRam said:

I remember reading £11k being the limit, but could be wrong- I suspect Hourihane is on that or thereabouts. He justified that with his G/A alone though so not overly unhappy with him being one of the highest earners

£12k - including bonuses was what Percy had. A wage budget no greater than £8m. 

He definitely played his part, albeit I think we were all probably expecting more from him. 

48 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

£12k - including bonuses was what Percy had. A wage budget no greater than £8m. 

He definitely played his part, albeit I think we were all probably expecting more from him. 

Thanks for clarifying. I agree he was underwhelming and rarely 'ran' games like top midfielders do- I think the goal involvements was just a nice bonus to mitigate that, really.