Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

15 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Cruz Allen and Niall McAndrew ones too look out for I would say.

Joining the ranks as first-year scholars are: Demiane Agustien, Cruz Allen, Luke Banks, Owen Eames, Tristan Gill, Isaac Gordon, Niall McAndrew, Adisa Osayande, Justin Oguntolu, Johnson Osong, Harley Price, Jack Thompson, Marsel Tola.

The Rams’ second-year scholars are: Dajaune Brown, Daniel Cox, Jaydan Davidson, Harry Hawkins, Billy Gough, Jack Perry, Keilen Robinson, Farren Simons, Josh Shattell, Lennon Wheeldon.

19 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Cruz Allen and Niall McAndrew ones too look out for I would say.

I think it's a very talented crop of first year scholars this year, but potentially missing a CF, so Wheeldon may stay at that level for another year.
You've picked out two very promising youngster, but the two who were regulars in the U18s last season were JThompson and Gill, both will no doubt be heavily involved with the U21s this season. Osong, Osayande, Eames, Banks, Tola, Oguntolu, Gordon, Augustien and Price all featured for the U18s too.

Our youth squads potentially lining up something like this:

U21s

JThompson

Bardell   Bartley   Cox

Moore   Radcliffe   DRobinson   Hawkins   Moloney

DBrown   Davidson

(Gill, Bates, Fapetu, Richards, Oseni)

U18s

Shattell

Osayande   Banks   KRobinson

Perry   Eames   Allen   McAndrew   Gough

Simons   Wheeldon

(Price, IGordon, Tola, Oguntolu, Osong, Augustien)

31 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think it's a very talented crop of first year scholars this year, but potentially missing a CF, so Wheeldon may stay at that level for another year.
You've picked out two very promising youngster, but the two who were regulars in the U18s last season were JThompson and Gill, both will no doubt be heavily involved with the U21s this season. Osong, Osayande, Eames, Banks, Tola, Oguntolu, Gordon, Augustien and Price all featured for the U18s too.

Our youth squads potentially lining up something like this:

U21s

JThompson

Bardell   Bartley   Cox

Moore   Radcliffe   DRobinson   Hawkins   Moloney

DBrown   Davidson

(Gill, Bates, Fapetu, Richards, Oseni)

U18s

Shattell

Osayande   Banks   KRobinson

Perry   Eames   Allen   McAndrew   Gough

Simons   Wheeldon

(Price, IGordon, Tola, Oguntolu, Osong, Augustien)

I think that is very much in line with what is planned if Harry Evans, the U21 'keeper goes out on loan, which is what is planned for his development. He and Jack Thompson are both highly rated from within.

Evans currently doing pre-season with Carlton Town FC. Heard they will look to give him a series of short loans to get him playing as far up the pyramid as quickly as possible for experience.

I agree @Ghost of Cloughteams look about right but can see them taking at least 1 of the 2 u21 goalkeepers currently on trial. 

Taking so many first years will definitely help with numbers. I believe there is a decent number of u21 triallists in the building too. Seems like we are going to try and pick up some gems that have been released elsewhere and keep the budget down. 

Will Be interesting to see who gets the head coach job. 

On 27/05/2023 at 06:10, Stuniverse said:

I know I posted this in the 22/23 thread but I thought I'd post it again in the Academy Thread 23/24 for reference. I'm working on the U21 appearances and goals and will post that as well when I've finished it.

U18s - appearances and goals 2022/23 Season

Based on soccerway, cross-referenced with the Official Derby County website (where there was an U18 match report), these are the U18 appearances and goals stats for the 2022/23 Season as far as I can tell:

U18s_1.thumb.png.c46393b618179d118679b622b8f27a24.png

U18s_2.thumb.png.5035bc6d8d7c9d96ca2a6ad5f34f037f.png

U18s_3.thumb.png.20a549af98f0b0481c87ccf997e8f593.png

Bumped so we can see the U18 appearance and goals scored numbers last season for the new scholars.

It is brilliant we have kept the category one status but in reality who have we actually produced?

Will Hughes is a bit part player for Palace and he was probably our best rated academy product. Even going back 20 years we produced Chris Riggott but he never got past Middlesbrough, who were a mid table premier league team.

The academy is seen as hugely important but have we really seen any benefits from it. It doesn’t help us in the here and now. It may help us in five years time but I doubt it. Any potential top class player will be poached (Delap and Gordon).

49 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

It is brilliant we have kept the category one status but in reality who have we actually produced?

Will Hughes is a bit part player for Palace and he was probably our best rated academy product. Even going back 20 years we produced Chris Riggott but he never got past Middlesbrough, who were a mid table premier league team.

The academy is seen as hugely important but have we really seen any benefits from it. It doesn’t help us in the here and now. It may help us in five years time but I doubt it. Any potential top class player will be poached (Delap and Gordon).

We have produced enough players to launch careers for several professional players, which is the main point of an academy. Not everyone is going to be the next Messi.

The club obviously sees the long term benefit to producing young players, not just for the DCFC first team, but to give youngsters the start in the professional game and chances elsewhere in the football pyramid. Just because we haven't produced many Premier League regulars, doesn't mean there is no value.

It's a tool for the future, so no need to dwell on the past (even though it has produced a team that won PL2 and more than matched up against some top European club academies). I always look forward to the youth team fixtures to see who the next player to break through might be.

54 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

It takes 10 years to get a true picture of value for money based on how long it takes a players to progress from the youngest age group just to the U18 and U21 levels. We have a lot of youth internationals in our academy. Jack Thompson is only a first year scholar for this upcoming season, but will be a regular in our U21 team and is already capped at England U17 level

On 14/07/2023 at 13:49, Warwick Ram said:

I don’t think we’d have been able to field a team during admin without the quality the academy produces 

On 15/07/2023 at 18:54, Caerphilly Ram said:

Any idea who the trialists were? The lads from Rangers? 

No. The only trialist I’ve seen confirmed is Charlie Lindsay (Rangers) but with reported interest from three Championship clubs, I’m not sure if Lindsay is still with us or not.

It will be interesting to see what team a Derby County XI select tonight. With the first-team playing at Chesterfield tomorrow, it’s going to be a mix of U21s, U18s, and trialists.

I’m looking forward to a good game of Guess the Trialist.