Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

34 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Did we score points for Emil Riis Jakobsen? I’m not even going to go near my annual laments for TME or Archie. I’m 

No. They have to be English, playing in England, not switched allegiances (ie an Englishman switching to Ireland/Wales), and they only have to feature in 1 game.

Screenshot_20230613_203616_Chrome.jpg.cdcf11368fe7eda7c8ae1bda323d72ed.jpg

What this means is that someone coming off the bench for the final minute of the final game of the season scores the same as Max Bird who is almost ever present.

Also, DRobinson, Cybulski, Stretton, Cashin, Ebosele and Knight all played in the league for us in 21/22 but none of them count towards the productivity rankings.

Buchanan counted last season but doesnt now due to playing abroad, even if it is at a level equal to the PL. Delap counts for us this season (split with Man City), but if he ever chooses to represent Ireland, he'll stop being counted.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

No. They have to be English, playing in England, not switched allegiances (ie an Englishman switching to Ireland/Wales), and they only have to feature in 1 game.

What this means is that someone coming off the bench for the final minute of the final game of the season scores the same as Max Bird who is almost ever present.

Also, DRobinson, Cybulski, Stretton, Cashin, Ebosele and Knight all played in the league for us in 21/22 but none of them count towards the productivity rankings.

Buchanan counted last season but doesnt now due to playing abroad, even if it is at a level equal to the PL. Delap counts for us this season (split with Man City), but if he ever chooses to represent Ireland, he'll stop being counted.

So biased, nationalistic and short sighted?

15 hours ago, angieram said:

Is there still a Gordon brother in the academy? Kellan just posted a video of him, Kaide and a younger brother working out and the youngest had on a Derby top. 

There's also Khace (pronounced Chase I think) who is going into next season U16s. From what I've seen, he can play both full back positions comfortably. 

On 13/06/2023 at 20:48, Ghost of Clough said:

Just to add to the not counted, Hendrick and Timi-max 

14 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

👍

SWISS STYLE FORMAT

1 x single group containing 25 teams

Teams seeded based on multi-year performance

Fixtures drawn from 5 pots based on seedings

A 21-game week scenario would involve teams playing each club in their own pot plus 4/5 teams in all other pots, either home or away (would equate to 20 regular season games)

Results generate a combined table that determines play-off positions

UEFA Champions League will introduce this format in 2024/25

The change was voted through by shareholders at the Premier League Annual General Meeting last week.

A number of proposals were considered before clubs agreed to introduce the ‘Swiss model’, which will see all 25 Category One Academies field an U21 team in the same league next season, with promotion and relegation between the current two-tier system scrapped.

The ‘Swiss model’ is based on the tournament used in chess and will be used in the UEFA Champions League from 2024/25.

In PL2, the 25 teams will be seeded into five pots based on their historical performance in the competition over the preceding three years, meaning each team will play 20 matches in the regular season (the same number as in PL2 Division Two in 2022/23 but six fewer than in PL2 Division One).

A 21-game week scenario will see teams playing each club in their own pot plus four or five teams in all other pots, either home or away. After this, the combined table will determine play-off positions, with the top 16 teams qualifying for the knockout format.

Many of the more established clubs have been in favour of removing relegation for some time, believing that the desire to maintain league position has overshadowed development decisions regarding individual players.

In recent years, some clubs have opted to retain players for longer than they otherwise might have in order to boost their PL2 position, or they have recruited specifically for the U21 age group.

However, some club officials remain concerned that the new one-tier format will reduce the amount of jeopardy or meaningful competition in the latter stages of the season.

The changes mark another shift back to the one-tier U21 Premier League format that was last seen in the 2013/14 season. A year ago, PL2 reverted from an U23 to U21 league, with clubs permitted to field five ‘over-aged’ players.

Fixtures for the 2023/24 campaign are due to be released in July.

39 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Sounds like a good change for the youth football, there’s lots of lads who just get held back extra years to play for the u21s, think Ethan Wassel for us. Knew he’d never make it but just kept him on when he could’ve left and rebuilt himself earlier

Connor Dixon would fall into that category as well. Last season, Connor was an overage U21 player.

This is great for player development and should benefit us with what will continue to be a very young u21s squad next year. 

Edited by Guest
Spelling

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Have we signed any U21 players yet this year? I know they don’t always announce stuff. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything 

No not yet. I’m guessing bulk of the budget is for first team and the u21s will be existing players bolstered by u18s again next season

There were a couple of triallists at the end of last season but I don’t see us signing 8-10 u21s this summer… of course I’m probably completely wrong 😂

11 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Pat Lyons has left the club. Looks like the new man is rebuilding. 

Will be interesting whether or not they'll appoint internally or not. I have no idea what the younger age group coaches are like below U18's.

14 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

How'd you know? Was he rated? Makes sense to freshen up I guess.

Heard rumours and now seen the advert. He was really close with Wassall (they own Soccerstars together) so does make sense for him to move on. 

22 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Will be interesting whether or not they'll appoint internally or not. I have no idea what the younger age group coaches are like below U18's.

I expect Adam Robinson will move on, Jake Buxton I think stays with the u18s for now as lead and maybe assistant at u21. 

i think a lot of junior coaches will be replaced in time, lots with ties to Wassall and contracts at those levels are not super tight or even well paid to be fair.