Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

7 hours ago, angieram said:

It actually sounds quite positive in terms of playing a wider variety of opposition and a knockout tournament if you qualify.

I'm sure it's the bigger clubs who want it so they can play younger players without fear of the ignominity of relegation. Their correct age group players are usually all out on loan! 

But it will help us as we rebuild, although it's difficult to finish any worse than bottom. 

Well, being Derby County I am sure we could give it a good go! 😂

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

7 hours ago, angieram said:

It actually sounds quite positive in terms of playing a wider variety of opposition and a knockout tournament if you qualify.

I'm sure it's the bigger clubs who want it so they can play younger players without fear of the ignominity of relegation. Their correct age group players are usually all out on loan! 

But it will help us as we rebuild, although it's difficult to finish any worse than bottom. 

The bigger clubs have such depth they know they will be in the top section every year anyway and generally play the masses of players they haven’t got on loan and still have on the books!  It does help them identify players from smaller teams though to add to their stockpiles of players. It helps us and teams like us who bounce between the 2 divisions previously. 

It will allow for more development as no panic about relegation and losing a few sort of gets hidden in the reporting! It will also give opportunity to test the lads against much better opposition which they also need. 

I think it’s a great idea and whilst I can’t see us making the cut for play offs this year I do think we could see an improvement on last year (for the lads playing more than anyone else to be fair).

Missed seeing this info at the time:

"...Now comes a more significant new challenge for the 38-year-old. New academy manager Matt Hale simply says he was the best candidate – and they did look outside of the club, too: “We carried out an extensive process to find the right candidate who will not only be an outstanding coach but also an outstanding person and cultural fit,” said Hale and, given that this is Buxton he is talking about, we can forgive the obligatory management PR-speak. I am delighted that Jake has been appointed as our lead under-21 coach.

“We ran a highly professional process, as you would expect, and the numerous candidates we interviewed were all of a really strong calibre and very experienced within the professional development phase. Jake has so much experience and knowledge of the professional game as well as the Derby County culture.

“Throughout the interview process, he brought to life his vision for the under-21s programme, which was extremely impressive. His infectious personality combined with his professional etiquette made him the stand-out candidate and has quite rightly earnt the opportunity to take this role and be tasked with leading our under-21 group.”

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, angieram said:

We're at Ilkeston. Not seen any team news yet but can see Max Bardell, Dujuane Brown and Bradley Johnson. 

Jamie Ward with the Ilkeston players warming up.

20230728_192335.jpg

Dej back with the u21 🥲

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

Needs game time. Daniel Cox here also, and the two lads from Rangers.  And a centre half from Crystal Palace on trial, maybe? 

20230728_192340.jpg

I think the centre half from Palace (Bartley?) was already announced as an u21 signing at the same time as Ben Radcliffe wasn't he?

58 minutes ago, Srg said:

Dej back with the u21 🥲

1 hour ago, angieram said:

We're at Ilkeston. Not seen any team news yet but can see Max Bardell, Dujuane Brown and Bradley Johnson. 

Jamie Ward with the Ilkeston players warming up.

20230728_192335.jpg

Jamie Ward leaving Ilkeston after tonight’s game. Coming home ?