Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

4 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

I don't like the idea of kids 'insisting'. Insist when you have achieved something not when you have been released

He was a scholar last year I believe so would be looking for a pro deal. Normally first pro is 1-2 years with an option very rare for us to offer longer than that. Guessing he wants 3? 

2 hours ago, ExiledinDerby said:

He was a scholar last year I believe so would be looking for a pro deal. Normally first pro is 1-2 years with an option very rare for us to offer longer than that. Guessing he wants 3? 

Didn’t a pro deal used to have to earn by proving your talent/worth, rather than being the behest of the player? I want an Aston Martin and a mansion please….

Edited by DiggerB

41 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Didn’t a pro deal used to have to earn by proving your talent/worth, rather than being the behest of the player? I want an Aston Martin and a mansion please….

I agree. I think the problem lies with the attitude of lads released from “big team” academies… they think what they perceive to be “smaller” academies should be grateful they are considering to play for them. My personal opinion is you’ve been released for a reason so now show why you deserve one..

it’s also driven by agents worried they won’t recoup what they’ve spent on boots for the lad since he was 15! 

4 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Your right it doesn’t, I’m sure they’ll fix it in next few minutes. The headline is a positive one though 

Yep, I think with Warne talking about a squad of 22(ish) first team players having some capable of stepping up from the u21s will be key. Maybe the two lads on trial who were released by Rangers? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Wording

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yep, I think with Warne talking about a squad of 22(ish) first team players having some capable of stepping up from the u21s will be key. Maybe the two lads on trial who were released by Rangers? 

It works now, the signings are Ryan Bartley a 19 year old centre back from Crystal Palace and Ben Radcliffe a midfielder from Burton 

There are others far more informed on the academy than myself, I seem to recall one of you saying part of the reason the team struggled last year was a lack of central defenders, or did I imagine that?

If so Bartley should be a good addition, 6’2” and from the few mins highlights of him I just found on YouTube he looks calm and composed on the ball….based purely on those 3 mins I predict he’s our future defensive lynchpin and the next Stimac! 😁 

25 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There are others far more informed on the academy than myself, I seem to recall one of you saying part of the reason the team struggled last year was a lack of central defenders, or did I imagine that?

The main CB for the U21s last season was Harrison Solomon, with converted full-backs Max Bardell (RB) and Will Grewal-Pollard (LB), as well as Leigh Kavanagh (on loan in the first part of the season) partnering him.

Bardell and Solomon both had problems with injuries last season and midfielders Darren Robinson and Adebayo Fapetu were used in central defence once Kavanagh had returned to his parent club.

Towards the end of the season, first-year scholar Dan Cox stepped up from the U18s to play CB in the U21s, and did well in the Derbyshire Senior Cup Final against Buxton.

2 hours ago, Magicman said:

Who will break through into the squad this year to join Robinson & Brown ?

The only other one training with the first team at the moment is Evans who will be out on loan all season ready for potentially a bigger role next season. 

No one else is ready yet from u21 or u18. This year will be more about some stability in those squads and hopefully some better results. 

57 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

The only other one training with the first team at the moment is Evans who will be out on loan all season ready for potentially a bigger role next season. 

No one else is ready yet from u21 or u18. This year will be more about some stability in those squads and hopefully some better results. 

I thought I saw Max Bardell, too, in the video footage today? 

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

I thought I saw Max Bardell, too, in the video footage today? 

Not seen it myself, but I'd certainly expect that he would be training with the first team lads while we're short on numbers.

If everyone is getting 45 minutes tomorrow, like Warne said in his interview, then surely the likes of Bardell, Robinson, Bates, Nunn, Oseni, Richards & D.Brown could well be involved.

I doubt we see Nunn, Bates, Richards or Oseni tomorrow. Apologies @angieramyes Bardell Training with the first team but I wouldn’t expect him to break into it this season.