Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

1 hour ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Jack Bates has signed as well. I don’t think the Arsenal lads brought enough personally. Talented enough but not PW type of player. 

Im confused. Jack off? No but we've retained the services of master bates.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

35 minutes ago, angieram said:

Is there still a Gordon brother in the academy? Kellan just posted a video of him, Kaide and a younger brother working out and the youngest had on a Derby top. 

Don’t think so Ange, I may be wrong, think there’s just Kellan and Kaide

New Academy Manager Matt Hale signed from Southampton’s academy. This is a duplicate post on my part but made sense to pop it in the Academy Thread too. Hopefully this goes some way to reassuring people the academy is still a priority and to me seems like an exciting and forward thinking appointment as Saint’s academy has produced decent talent over the years, hasn’t it?

4 hours ago, angieram said:

Is there still a Gordon brother in the academy? Kellan just posted a video of him, Kaide and a younger brother working out and the youngest had on a Derby top. 

Yes the youngest brother is in the academy still. U14/15 I think. 

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

New Academy Manager Matt Hale signed from Southampton’s academy. This is a duplicate post on my part but made sense to pop it in the Academy Thread too. Hopefully this goes some way to reassuring people the academy is still a priority and to me seems like an exciting and forward thinking appointment as Saint’s academy has produced decent talent over the years, hasn’t it?

Yes they have a strong youth philosophy around a target number of players each year such as 1 for the first team 1 for the division they are in and so many for the football league.

Could be a good chance to redefine academy ethos and methods. 

Interesting part in an article from Training Ground Guru

"The Rams placed 39th in TGG’s Academy Productivity Rankings for 2021/22 - the third lowest Category One club (behind Stoke City and Burnley). The rankings place teams according to the number of professionals they produced who played in that season (from Premier League to National League level):

https://trainingground.guru/articles/hale-appointed-derby-county-academy-manager

Perhaps this is what they're looking to improve? 

15 minutes ago, Gladram said:

"The Rams placed 39th in TGG’s Academy Productivity Rankings for 2021/22 - the third lowest Category One club (behind Stoke City and Burnley). The rankings place teams according to the number of professionals they produced who played in that season (from Premier League to National League level):

https://trainingground.guru/articles/hale-appointed-derby-county-academy-manager

Yes I would expect so. That’s the part that generates additional income for the club and what’s been a key part of the Southampton philosophy. 

it was only 5/6 years ago that Derby were in the top 10 of those rankings…..

12 minutes ago, Gladram said:

Rankings based on English players, playing in English leagues, and not switching international allegiances. Knight (Irish), Buchanan (playing abroad), Ebosele (Irish and playing abroad) and Stretton (English but switched allegiance to Scotland) for example don't count. 

Productivity needs to improve, due to developing very few PL quality players. However, it's difficult to truly judge until around 2030 when players have progressed through the entirety of the academy system from start to finish and had chance to develop in first team games and reach their peak.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rankings based on English players, playing in English leagues, and not switching international allegiances. Knight (Irish), Buchanan (playing abroad), Ebosele (Irish and playing abroad) and Stretton (English but switched allegiance to Scotland) for example don't count. 

Productivity needs to improve, due to developing very few PL quality players. However, it's difficult to truly judge until around 2030 when players have progressed through the entirety of the academy system from start to finish and had chance to develop in first team games and reach their peak.

Plus, some of our best potential players being taken before they're even past u18 level.

Without knowing all too much about Southampton's academy - other than some of the players it has produced - Matt Hale seems to be a good move. To have spent a decade there would suggest good things too.

From an article about a PL game in 2021 vs. Liverpool

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/news/article/hale-a-proud-moment-for-the-academy

It’s an achievement that highlights the development pathway in place at the club and which brings a great sense of pride to the Academy, as described by Hale.

“We’ve had an academy objective for some time to try and get 50 per cent of the matchday squad made up of Academy graduates,” he said.

Don't google just his name though, he does seem to have a rather unfortunate namesake from the US of A... 

1 hour ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Yes I would expect so. That’s the part that generates additional income for the club and what’s been a key part of the Southampton philosophy. 

it was only 5/6 years ago that Derby were in the top 10 of those rankings…..

Not those rankings we weren't at any time. Started in 2016/17:

image.thumb.png.ebf1efd7737b61619a1b35bd66cd8bba.png

2021/22 as quoted:

image.thumb.png.c5ace229bedd1873c685706b4dc7735a.png

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

2021/22 as quoted:

I may have my years wrong but one year Derby hit top ten, or maybe over a combined period of years. Majority were lower league / conference but there was a few. I think it would have been around the Sibley / Bird generation time

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

2021/22 as quoted:

How do you get 1.5 players..? 🤔

9 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

I may have my years wrong but one year Derby hit top ten, or maybe over a combined period of years. Majority were lower league / conference but there was a few. I think it would have been around the Sibley / Bird generation time

Not according to the stats being used for those tables, only four editions of them. Edit: 29th in the 20/21 was highest we made I think.

image.thumb.png.1080707eba9cf2ded8eed39bee00dc13.png

image.thumb.png.abb121880d781edd223193e360a90eed.png

Edited by RoyMac5