Box set recommendations

Chester40

I know we have a separate thread. But just as a snap shot....what are your top 3 (or 5 if you're greedy) box set recommendations. 

I'd also suggest two categories.

Top 3 'must be seen'...those with huge cultural significance, so impressive that they leave a huge gap in your viewing if not seen.

And more 'hidden/undervalued gems' series that have slipped from the consciousness or never really landed and are your personal recommendations. 

Personally (and this can change regularly) off the top of my head...

Must See :

1 The Sopranos

2 Game of Thrones 

3 24

(4 Lost  5 The Wire)

My personal recommendations 

1 Gomorrah 

2 Mindhunter

3 Making a Murderer 

(4 True Detective  5 Dexter)

14 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Must See :

1 The Sopranos

2 Game of Thrones 

3 24

(4 Lost  5 The Wire)

My personal recommendations 

1 Gomorrah 

2 Mindhunter

3 Making a Murderer 

(4 True Detective  5 Dexter)

You don't personally recommend your must sees?

2 minutes ago, David said:

You don't personally recommend your must sees?

I do, but they are must see as much for their significance.....and you'd have to have been living under a rock to not be aware of them even if you haven't seen them.  

(Bit like Star Wars... its a must see...but it's hardly a film recommendation).

Breaking Bad is the greatest thing ever but I think people should be forced to watch Black Mirror.

Game Of Thrones was obviously a huuuuuge deal that you'd have to live on Mars to have never heard of it. What phenomenon. But the way it went downhill makes me bitter

I feel like Lost was big turning point for TV shows to kill off big Hollywood movies. Now it's all about the boxsets. Lost was constant cliffhangers and covered so many characters and back stories. I know there was great TV series before Lost but was Lost the one that really struck the first nail into the Hollywood coffin?

Films generally seem quite shallow now in comparison to 50 or 60 hours spent with Walter White

6 hours ago, Srg said:

Still annoyed to this day they cancelled Mindhunter. 

Don't think it got cancelled. Think the show creator-director chose not to do anymore. In part because it took too much time and in part because Netflix wanted to reduce his budget.

Said he may come back to it in the future.

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Breaking Bad is the greatest thing ever but I think people should be forced to watch Black Mirror.

Game Of Thrones was obviously a huuuuuge deal that you'd have to live on Mars to have never heard of it. What phenomenon. But the way it went downhill makes me bitter

I feel like Lost was big turning point for TV shows to kill off big Hollywood movies. Now it's all about the boxsets. Lost was constant cliffhangers and covered so many characters and back stories. I know there was great TV series before Lost but was Lost the one that really struck the first nail into the Hollywood coffin?

Films generally seem quite shallow now in comparison to 50 or 60 hours spent with Walter White

Thought breaking bad was a bit overrated, justified is good , Walton goggins as Boyd crowder is brilliant and Ava crowder is deffo very easy on the eye

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Thought breaking bad was a bit overrated, justified is good , Walton goggins as Boyd crowder is brilliant and Ava crowder is deffo very easy on the eye

It’s obviously all a question of taste but I think Breaking Bad is a classic but I couldn’t stick with either The Sapranos or Succession (I know, I know. Sacrilege). 

Killing Eve and Fargo would be on my list of box sets worth watching.

20 hours ago, Alpha said:

Problem with GOT was that the plot was given over too producers to create their own story as the series overtook the books.  I don't talk about Lost.  A dreadful ending following 3 years of plot lines that went nowhere. 

47 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Must be one of the few people who has never seen Line Of Duty everyone says it's fantastic. 

Loved The Wire

Game Of Thrones

And one of my all time favourites is Life On Mars

Line of Duty was fantastic, but dropped off in the last couple of series. It was pretty believable at first, but then became preposterous.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2023 at 14:30, Alpha said:

I have still not got over the ending of Lost and would implore anyone who hasnt watched it not to waste their time! We were obsessed with it, the theories, etc - such a let down. Will never forgive them