Trying to remember a goal. Daryl Powell maybe?

trekkie_ram

I’m trying to remember a goal (with the hope of then finding it on YouTube!) which I think Daryl Powell scored, that I haven’t seen in decades, and may have many details wrong.

The ball was on the corner / edge of the 18 yard box (nearest the tv camera), possibly cleared from a corner, and he hoofed it up in the air and it just dropped in the far corner out of nowhere.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I've recounted this before but love this description....

"Darryl Powell is like Carlton Palmer but without the skill".  😆

I prefer this description, Darryl Powell who was a key player during the last 'successful' Derby team who got promoted to the premier League and to the brink of European qualification. The player who did the donkey work for the likes of Eranio, Biano and Wanchope.

Great teams need balance, part of that balance requires someone to get the ball for the creative players and someone to stop the opposition and give 100% all the time.

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I've recounted this before but love this description....

"Darryl Powell is like Carlton Palmer but without the skill".  😆

Let me explain the joke for those too young to remember......Carlton Palmer didn't have any skill either.

Other jokes in my repertoire:

"He's more deceptive than he looks"

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous"

So, those of you planning a staycation following that other thread.....it may be me performing at Butlins 😉

Edited by IslandExile

There have been few players that have confused me as much as the football genius. Like, how was he so bad that he eventually went full circle and became an undroppable, pivotal player for the team with so little actual footballing ability?

He epitomised the Bald Eagle years of meshing incredible technical players with players who could do the graft for them. You could sum up his job as "win the ball, give it to Chico, repeat" and it just worked.

13 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

Like, how was he so bad that he eventually went full circle and became an undroppable, pivotal player for the team with so little actual footballing ability?

He epitomised the Bald Eagle years of meshing incredible technical players with players who could do the graft for them. You could sum up his job as "win the ball, give it to Chico, repeat" and it just worked.

It's a good point - as an amateur five-a-sider I had virtually no attacking or defensive skills, but I could control a ball and pass it in a straight line. So I knew my job was to simply move into space so that a team mate in trouble could give it to me , then all I had to do was pass the ball to our best player. Kept me in the team, as the rest of them knew I served a good functional purpose. But on paper I was crap

On 17/05/2023 at 20:53, G STAR RAM said:

Leicester away will be the goal you are on about I think but seem to remember him scoring an equally freaky goal at Fulham away in the cup I think?

I was there for the Fulham one and presumed that was what the OP meant. It is remarkable to do it twice.

On 18/05/2023 at 09:18, ram59 said:

I prefer this description, Darryl Powell who was a key player during the last 'successful' Derby team who got promoted to the premier League and to the brink of European qualification. The player who did the donkey work for the likes of Eranio, Biano and Wanchope.

Great teams need balance, part of that balance requires someone to get the ball for the creative players and someone to stop the opposition and give 100% all the time.

I disagree in that Daryl Powell destabilized and unbalanced a good Derby side. My recollection is that we lost one game quite badly, and Smith dropped Baiano from then on and played Powell instead. It was a crime against football and the sort of daft decision that led to our decline and saw us relegated. The only decent thing Daryl Powell ever did in football, was to take the Gumps down to League One.

On 18/05/2023 at 20:18, Stive Pesley said:

This is weird - I thought you were talking about Derby vs Southampton in 2001 when Youl Mawene scored a very similar goal, albeit he tapped it in, he wasn't the one who hoofed it in the air

Always remember that one, as it was the first game I took my eldest lad to

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=628054554733491

I was thinking of that one.  I think it was on Question of Sport "what happened next.  Really freak goal.

On 18/05/2023 at 09:24, IslandExile said:

Let me explain the joke for those too young to remember......Carlton Palmer didn't have any skill either.

Other jokes in my repertoire:

"He's more deceptive than he looks"

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous"

So, those of you planning a staycation following that other thread.....it may be me performing at Butlins 😉

If we wanted your opinion we’d give it to you