Summer Rumour Mill

sage

Id imagine a free agent signing would be announced any minute.

With well over a week of the international break gone, it is ample time for Paul to sit down with his recruitment team, sift through the targets and make things happen.

Paul certainly sounded keen to utilise the free market so I am excited to see what he is able to do.

Possible defensive options & positions they can play - 

Matthew Olosunde - 25 - RB / RM

Ryan Nyambe - 25 - RB / CB / RM

George Cox - 25 - LB / LM

Liam Moore - 30 - CB / RB

Ciaran Clark - 33 - CB / LB / CDM

Darnell Fisher - 29 - RB / LB

Joe Bennett - 33 - LB / LM

Todd Kane - 29 - RB / RM

Matt Penney - 25 - LB / LM

Jordan Willis - 29 - CB / RB

Ben Heneghan - 29 - CB / RB

Gaëtan Bong - 35 - LB / CB

Not sure if I have missed anyone else off who is realistic

Edited by DCFC1388

15 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

So Warne has said he is wanting a defender who can play all across the back, he originally wanted a left sided player but wants/needs someone who can also play on the right in case Ward and/or Wilson breakdown as Bardell is also out.

My guess is we won't sign anyone.

2 weeks since the window closed and 2 weeks of international break, a perfect opportunity to get someone in and work with.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

My guess is we won't sign anyone.

2 weeks since the window closed and 2 weeks of international break, a perfect opportunity to get someone in and work with.

but that would apply for all clubs looking at free agents but I am sure there are plenty that will get signed up by clubs in the coming weeks

43 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

So Warne has said he is wanting a defender who can play all across the back, he originally wanted a left sided player but wants/needs someone who can also play on the right in case Ward and/or Wilson breakdown as Bardell is also out.

Ryan Nyambe should be the target in my opinion. Adds pace to the back 3, but also covers RB/RWB. He filled in at LB a few times for Wigan last season, but not someone you want as a regular at LWB.

Since Warne insists on sticking to 3/5 at the back, someone highly capable at CB is needed. Since we only have 4 players capable at CB, with one of those needed at LWB.

In terms of everyone (except Rooney) being fit, a starting back 5 of:

Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin
Ward                                           Forsyth

Backed up by:

Bradley
Wilson                                        Elder

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Wants to talk to a couple wonder if both are defenders or 

On 16/09/2023 at 20:38, DCFC1388 said:

Warne mentioned poat match that we could have someone in for Tuesday

Did he specify which Tuesday? Because based on some of the "we've got someone joining this week" style comments we got over the summer he could be referring to any Tuesday between now and the January transfer window.

He certainly looks on paper to be a reasonable, beggars can't be choosers option. Mainly a right back but can cover centre back and left back, 25 years old and 6' tall. However lets not forget he was released by Blackburn and then given only a 1 year contract by Wigan then released again so Paulo Maldini he aint   

11 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

He certainly looks on paper to be a reasonable, beggars can't be choosers option. Mainly a right back but can cover centre back and left back, 25 years old and 6' tall. However lets not forget he was released by Blackburn and then given only a 1 year contract by Wigan then released again so Paulo Maldini he aint   

He cannot be too bad with this amount of appearances

2015–2022Blackburn Rovers183(0)

2022–2023Wigan Athletic32(0)

He was also only on a one year deal at Wigan and at the time of it expiring they were in turmoil.

17 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Originally a RB, but lacked end product. Mowbray was a big fan of his and urged him to stay at Blackburn. "I feel for him, I love him to bits, I’ve been with him for over five years, he’s like a son. I feel as though he needs to stay, and grow, and learn, be better at bending that ball down the line, at chipping it to the back stick, getting to the byline and cutting it back for the striker to tap it in, I just hope he’s making the right choices."

He's a solid defensive RB, which makes him ideal for that RCB position, which he's been getting used to more over the past couple of seasons. A good option for us.

Going to have to be negative here but I can’t see it being Nyambe who would be a very good signing. Doesn’t fit into Warne’s age group of over 30’s. I’m guessing it will be Fisher or Naughton who are both injury prone players so fits the bill. If it was Nyambe he could play in the right centre back position in a 3 or right back or right wing back and I was impressed with him at Blackburn, seemed to be one of their key players. 

35 minutes ago, JohnoDCFC said:

Going to have to be negative here but I can’t see it being Nyambe who would be a very good signing. Doesn’t fit into Warne’s age group of over 30’s. I’m guessing it will be Fisher or Naughton who are both injury prone players so fits the bill. If it was Nyambe he could play in the right centre back position in a 3 or right back or right wing back and I was impressed with him at Blackburn, seemed to be one of their key players. 

Tyreece John-Jules is 22

Tyrese Fornah is 24 (was 23 when signed)

Kane Wilson is 23

Elliot Embleton is 24

Josh Vickers is 27

Joe Ward is 28 (was 27 when signed)

Callum Elder is 28

Curtis Nelson is 30

Connor Washington is 31

Sonny Bradley is 32 (was 31 when signed)

Waghorn is 33. 

7 of the 11 signings are under 30, this false rhetoric that we only signed old players is factually incorrect and in truth pretty boring now. There’s plenty of other things you can moan about with Warne.

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Tyreece John-Jules is 22

Tyrese Fornah is 24 (was 23 when signed)

Kane Wilson is 23

Elliot Embleton is 24

Josh Vickers is 27

Joe Ward is 28 (was 27 when signed)

Callum Elder is 28

Curtis Nelson is 30

Connor Washington is 31

Sonny Bradley is 32 (was 31 when signed)

Waghorn is 33. 

7 of the 11 signings are under 30, this false rhetoric that we only signed old players is factually incorrect and in truth pretty boring now. There’s plenty of other things you can moan about with Warne.

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN