Summer Rumour Mill

sage

40 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Nombe to Rotherham hurts me I can't lie. I've been raving about signing him since pre season and to think we would rather put our effort in another player on the wrong side of 30 rather than go for someone who you could sell down the line and potentially make money on him or at the very least break even, makes no sense.

Rotherham.. ffs.

I think the reason we've not been in for Nombe, JCH or any one that is costing north of £1 million is cos we don't have the funds now.

The only way it's even possible is if we get the £3 million we want for Cashin.

I'm not sure how much Peterborough are wanting for Clarke-Harris but I can't see it being more than 1-1.5 million if Bristol Rovers are in for him.

I'd be ok with that. His goalscoring record at this level is as good as it gets really. Put him in this team instead of Collins and I think that turns us from a top 6 side to a top 2 side.

I wouldn't be surprised if Collins goes. He didn't play much last season and he only started this season because we have nobody else. As soon as Waghorn and Washington were fit he's straight out the team.

I’m reading comments on here about how we should spend £2 million on players.

Regardless of whether we sell Cashin, given that we clearly have a financially prudent owner and are only in the second year out of administration, with all of the financial limitations that this comes with, anybody thinking we’re going to drop a couple of million on a player has lost touch with reality.

If this applies to you, please wash your face in the sink, take a hard look in the mirror and come to terms with the waters that we are swimming in this year.

23 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

I’m reading comments on here about how we should spend £2 million on players.

Regardless of whether we sell Cashin, given that we clearly have a financially prudent owner and are only in the second year out of administration, with all of the financial limitations that this comes with, anybody thinking we’re going to drop a couple of million on a player has lost touch with reality.

If this applies to you, please wash your face in the sink, take a hard look in the mirror and come to terms with the waters that we are swimming in this year.

Had the wash (and a quick shave while I was at it)…..looked in the mirror….good God I am looking old 🥲 If we end up selling Cashin for 3 million and bring in Clarke-Harris for 1.5 million and it is within our budget, I don’t see what the problem is. Especially if his goals help get us up. But I genuinely don’t think we are in for him so it is a pretty pointless discussion 😊

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

£2 million on a 30-year old with a 2-year contract? That’s a Mel Morris signing.

1) We won’t have anywhere near £2 million and even if we sell Cashin (I hope we don’t), I’d be surprised if we reinvest more than one million.

2) He would probably have zero resale value. Even with two good years, he then leaves on a free.

3) We could do more by asking the EFL to remove this 2-year contract length. That hurts us more than anything.

If we are going to spend money - then get 2 or 3 x 500k players in the 22-26 category.

Hungry, can improve, can increase their value etc.

He has great hold up play and will get goals as well.  if he gets 25 goals and we go up it's around 9 million quid.  If not we'll have potentially 4-6 playoff games which will make the cost worth it.  Not saying we'd spend 2 million but he's a big asset to anyone in this division who would. 

I think the 2 yr issue has gone now based on Elder and Vickers contracts. 

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I think the reason we've not been in for Nombe, JCH or any one that is costing north of £1 million is cos we don't have the funds now.

The only way it's even possible is if we get the £3 million we want for Cashin.

I'm not sure how much Peterborough are wanting for Clarke-Harris but I can't see it being more than 1-1.5 million if Bristol Rovers are in for him.

I'd be ok with that. His goalscoring record at this level is as good as it gets really. Put him in this team instead of Collins and I think that turns us from a top 6 side to a top 2 side.

I wouldn't be surprised if Collins goes. He didn't play much last season and he only started this season because we have nobody else. As soon as Waghorn and Washington were fit he's straight out the team.

The Peterborough paper is now saying the asking fee for JCH is £1m whereas when the club announced in May he was available, they said publicly the price was £3m. They've obviously, so far, not had any bids near that price which would presumably have only ever come from Championship clubs; he didn't pull up any trees at that level but we all know his track record in this division.

Last year, a guy who is a friend of a friend told us that Hourihane and McGoldrick were done deals well before they were signed or mentioned. That's the only thing we have had from him. In July he told us that a deal had been provisionally agreed with JCH and Peterborough and we were also looking to take Alfie May but of course that hasn't happened. Because of what Warne said about spreading his budget on wages rather than fees, I wrote the JCH information off too. But now the Cashin deal has raised its head and with the paper talk of Bristol Rovers, Bolton and another EFL One club being in for him, I think we might be the third club. I watched Warne fussing with him in the centre circle at the end of the game on Saturday and so did some of the news reporters. Of course, Warne had him at Rotherham and that may well have been all he greeted him for but Bolton have denied their interest because Evatt doesn't see him fitting their system. Bristol Rovers have said he wants to move nearer to Bristol but if he had a choice of there or here, surely we'd be favourites. I agree that he would turn us into top two favourites and I'd want him. But we'll know if it's going to happen in the next three days or not.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

From a fan point of view signing JCH on deadline day for a £1m is very exciting. Plus whether or not he fits Warne’s system he is the best striker in the league so can’t harm to have him up top.

But from a boring point of view I just can’t see us dropping that much money on a 29 year old. It’s too much of a risk and not one DC seems likely to encourage.

The only way I could see this being a goer is if most of the transfer fee was dependent on promotion. Their chairman probably wouldn’t go for that but if another team are offering £1m guaranteed and we offered 700k with a 400k payment if we get promoted they might go for that. 

I personally don’t see it happening because I think it relies on 4 things. 

1) Cashin being sold 

2) Shrews being able to afford Collins salary 

3) Posh accepting lower than they wanted at the start of the window 

4) there being enough time to get all this done

7 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Bristol Rovers have said he wants to move nearer to Bristol but if he had a choice of there or here, surely we'd be favourites. I agree that he would turn us into top two favourites and I'd want him. But we'll know if it's going to happen in the next three days or not.

Well, Derby is nearer to Bristol than Peterborough 😄

Seems odd to me that JCH hasn’t moved already …I’ve said it a few times I’m not a fan after watching him a few times last season and think we should be looking at players like Nombe if we are going to spend 1m 

some saw him lay the ball off neatly a few times on Saturday and now think he’s better than what he is ….watch him in second leg against Weds when it mattered he didn’t hold it up then when posh were desperate for someone to do exactly that and also an error from him led to 3rd or 4th goal ….let’s go for a younger up and coming striker ! 

23 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Seems odd to me that JCH hasn’t moved already …I’ve said it a few times I’m not a fan after watching him a few times last season and think we should be looking at players like Nombe if we are going to spend 1m 

some saw him lay the ball off neatly a few times on Saturday and now think he’s better than what he is ….watch him in second leg against Weds when it mattered he didn’t hold it up then when posh were desperate for someone to do exactly that and also an error from him led to 3rd or 4th goal ….let’s go for a younger up and coming striker ! 

Look at the scoring stats of the two and then explain why you would want Nombe over JCH.